Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Water paint on oily undercoat!

An ornamental garden gate in softwood. I gave it a few coats of
aluminium primer and best quality grey oil undercoat. Mrs W chose a top
coat of Farrow and Ball exterior gloss which to my surprise is water
based. Anyway it doesn't go on, won't film at all.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/3rCvjuRpDWnPgmbz8
The undercoat is matt and was rubbed down a bit so advice to key the
surface better will be pointless. Is there a solution to this? or just
buy oil gloss?
TW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/2020 13:18, TimW wrote:
An ornamental garden gate in softwood. I gave it a few coats of
aluminium primer and best quality grey oil undercoat. Mrs W chose a top
coat of Farrow and Ball exterior gloss which to my surprise is water
based. Anyway it doesn't go on, won't film at all.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/3rCvjuRpDWnPgmbz8
The undercoat is matt and was rubbed down a bit so advice to key the
surface better will be pointless. Is there a solution to this? or just
buy oil gloss?
TW

Oil and water don't mix. You could try a good wash over with sugar soap
and then have another go?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/2020 13:53, Andy Bennet wrote:
On 04/01/2020 13:18, TimW wrote:
An ornamental garden gate in softwood. I gave it a few coats of
aluminium primer and best quality grey oil undercoat. Mrs W chose a
top coat of Farrow and Ball exterior gloss which to my surprise is
water based. Anyway it doesn't go on, won't film at all.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/3rCvjuRpDWnPgmbz8
The undercoat is matt and was rubbed down a bit so advice to key the
surface better will be pointless. Is there a solution to this? or just
buy oil gloss?
TW

Oil and water don't mix. You could try a good wash over with sugar soap
and then have another go?

I used oil based primer then water based gloss and there was no problem,
but there was a delay of three weeks between primer and gloss.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/2020 13:18, TimW wrote:
An ornamental garden gate in softwood. I gave it a few coats of
aluminium primer and best quality grey oil undercoat. Mrs W chose a
top coat of Farrow and Ball exterior gloss which to my surprise is
water based. Anyway it doesn't go on, won't film at all.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/3rCvjuRpDWnPgmbz8
The undercoat is matt and was rubbed down a bit so advice to key the
surface better will be pointless. Is there a solution to this? or
just buy oil gloss?
TW

Oil and water don't mix. You could try a good wash over with sugar
soap and then have another go?

I used oil based primer then water based gloss and there was no problem,
but there was a delay of three weeks between primer and gloss.

Bill

I've certainly put modern water based gloss down on old oil based gloss
without any problem. Another +1 for sugar soap, and perhaps a better
rub-down?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/2020 13:18, TimW wrote:
An ornamental garden gate in softwood. I gave it a few coats of
aluminium primer and best quality grey oil undercoat. Mrs W chose a
top coat of Farrow and Ball exterior gloss which to my surprise is
water based. Anyway it doesn't go on, won't film at all.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/3rCvjuRpDWnPgmbz8
The undercoat is matt and was rubbed down a bit so advice to key the
surface better will be pointless. Is there a solution to this? or
just buy oil gloss?
TW

Oil and water don't mix. You could try a good wash over with sugar
soap and then have another go?

I used oil based primer then water based gloss and there was no problem,
but there was a delay of three weeks between primer and gloss.

Bill

Yes, all these water paints say they are suitable for previously painted
surfaces. Maybe I need to prime the undercoat, mad as it sounds.
TW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/2020 14:24, newshound wrote:
On 04/01/2020 13:18, TimW wrote:

The undercoat is matt and was rubbed down a bit so advice to key the
surface better will be pointless. ...

...and perhaps a better
rub-down?

Thanks, I knew it! LOL!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/2020 15:38, TimW wrote:

Yes, all these water paints say they are suitable for previously painted
surfaces. Maybe I need to prime the undercoat, mad as it sounds.
TW

With less volatile solvents these days I've found that oil based paints
take a long time to fully cure/harden - a week or more.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 4 January 2020 13:18:09 UTC, TimW wrote:
An ornamental garden gate in softwood. I gave it a few coats of
aluminium primer and best quality grey oil undercoat. Mrs W chose a top
coat of Farrow and Ball exterior gloss which to my surprise is water
based. Anyway it doesn't go on, won't film at all.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/3rCvjuRpDWnPgmbz8
The undercoat is matt and was rubbed down a bit so advice to key the
surface better will be pointless. Is there a solution to this? or just
buy oil gloss?
TW

A coat of PVA on top of the oil paint.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 4 January 2020 13:18:09 UTC, TimW wrote:
An ornamental garden gate in softwood. I gave it a few coats of
aluminium primer and best quality grey oil undercoat. Mrs W chose a top
coat of Farrow and Ball exterior gloss which to my surprise is water
based. Anyway it doesn't go on, won't film at all.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/3rCvjuRpDWnPgmbz8
The undercoat is matt and was rubbed down a bit so advice to key the
surface better will be pointless. Is there a solution to this? or just
buy oil gloss?
TW

Very simple: just paint it again. After a few goes you get full coverage.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/2020 17:22, alan_m wrote:
On 04/01/2020 15:38, TimW wrote:

Yes, all these water paints say they are suitable for previously
painted surfaces. Maybe I need to prime the undercoat, mad as it sounds.
TW

With less volatile solvents these days I've found that oil based paints
take a long time to fully cure/harden - a week or more.

My other main observation with solvent based paints comes from cleaning
the brushes. I use white spirit and after using to clean the brushes
decant it into plastic bottles for future use for brush cleaning.

The pigments/solids in some paints will drop to the bottom of the
bottles within a matter of a couple to three weeks leaving most of the
white spirit a clear but murky colour. The thin pigment/solid layer at
the bottom of the bottle will remain intact when pouring off the top
nearly clear white spirit.

With other solvent based paints the pigment/solids seem to stay in the
white spirit solution for many months ( 6 months) with the settlement
occurring in distinct layers. When pouring off the clearer solution at
the top of the bottle the pigments/solids that have sunk to the bottom
of the bottle readily mix again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If its wood, it will probably crack in fewer years than you anticipate as
modern wood is crap.
Somebody down my road had their gate dipped in some kind of stuff that
feels almost like teflon. Its very thick and probably expensive to do!

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Andy Bennet" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 04/01/2020 13:18, TimW wrote:
An ornamental garden gate in softwood. I gave it a few coats of aluminium
primer and best quality grey oil undercoat. Mrs W chose a top coat of
Farrow and Ball exterior gloss which to my surprise is water based.
Anyway it doesn't go on, won't film at all.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/3rCvjuRpDWnPgmbz8
The undercoat is matt and was rubbed down a bit so advice to key the
surface better will be pointless. Is there a solution to this? or just
buy oil gloss?
TW

Oil and water don't mix. You could try a good wash over with sugar soap
and then have another go?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/2020 13:18, TimW wrote:
An ornamental garden gate in softwood. I gave it a few coats of
aluminium primer and best quality grey oil undercoat. Mrs W chose a top
coat of Farrow and Ball exterior gloss which to my surprise is water
based. Anyway it doesn't go on, won't film at all.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/3rCvjuRpDWnPgmbz8
The undercoat is matt and was rubbed down a bit so advice to key the
surface better will be pointless. Is there a solution to this? or just
buy oil gloss?
TW

How long was the undercoat let to dry/cure? Often the manufacture will
give a drying time or re-coat as 24 hours BUT at ambient temperatures of
20C. If painting at this time of year outside you would have to adjust
the times, especially for the night time temperatures.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/01/2020 12:25, alan_m wrote:
On 04/01/2020 13:18, TimW wrote:
An ornamental garden gate in softwood. I gave it a few coats of
aluminium primer and best quality grey oil undercoat. Mrs W chose a
top coat of Farrow and Ball exterior gloss which to my surprise is
water based. Anyway it doesn't go on, won't film at all.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/3rCvjuRpDWnPgmbz8
The undercoat is matt and was rubbed down a bit so advice to key the
surface better will be pointless. Is there a solution to this? or just
buy oil gloss?
TW

How long was the undercoat let to dry/cure? Often the manufacture will
give a drying time or re-coat as 24 hours BUT at ambient temperatures of
20C. If painting at this time of year outside you would have to adjust
the times, especially for the night time temperatures.

It's in a unheated shed, but undercoated 4 days previous. you'd think it
would be fine, didn't clog the 180grit paper.
TW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/2020 13:18, TimW wrote:
An ornamental garden gate in softwood. I gave it a few coats of
aluminium primer and best quality grey oil undercoat. Mrs W chose a
top coat of Farrow and Ball exterior gloss which to my surprise is
water based. Anyway it doesn't go on, won't film at all.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/3rCvjuRpDWnPgmbz8
The undercoat is matt and was rubbed down a bit so advice to key the
surface better will be pointless. Is there a solution to this? or just
buy oil gloss?
TW

How long was the undercoat let to dry/cure? Often the manufacture will
give a drying time or re-coat as 24 hours BUT at ambient temperatures of
20C. If painting at this time of year outside you would have to adjust
the times, especially for the night time temperatures.

I have an email from Farrow and Ball who say that likely it is exactly
as you say. Low temperature and slow cure.
TW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If its wood, it will probably crack in fewer years than you anticipate as
modern wood is crap.
Somebody down my road had their gate dipped in some kind of stuff that
feels almost like teflon. Its very thick and probably expensive to do!

Brian

25 years ago the old gate was rotten. I thought it must have been the
original softwood gate but at 100yrs old is that even possible?

Anyway a young man made me a new one at a very reasonable price and took
considerable care over it but it only lasted 15 yrs, I suspect because
as you say - crappy modern softwood.

The new one is assured 'Joinery Quality' SW, whatever that means. I hope
for the best.

TW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/01/2020 21:39, TimW wrote:
If its wood, it will probably crack in fewer years than you anticipate as
modern wood is crap.
Â* Somebody down my road had their gate dipped in some kind of stuff that
feels almost like teflon. Its very thick and probably expensive to do!

Brian

25 years ago the old gate was rotten.Â* I thought it must have been the
original softwood gate but at 100yrs old is that even possible?

Anyway a young man made me a new one at a very reasonable price and took
considerable care over it but it only lasted 15 yrs, I suspect because
as you say - crappy modern softwood.

The new one is assured 'Joinery Quality' SW, whatever that means. I hope
for the best.

TW

Pre-war fences and gates around my way used to be made of oak and were
left unpainted with preservative or paint.

If your gate was 100 years old it may have also been oak and painting it
may have lead to its demise by trapping water between the (flaking)
paint and the wood..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/2020 13:18, TimW wrote:
An ornamental garden gate in softwood. I gave it a few coats of
aluminium primer and best quality grey oil undercoat. Mrs W chose a top
coat of Farrow and Ball exterior gloss which to my surprise is water
based. Anyway it doesn't go on, won't film at all.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/3rCvjuRpDWnPgmbz8
The undercoat is matt and was rubbed down a bit so advice to key the
surface better will be pointless. Is there a solution to this? or just
buy oil gloss?
TW

I gave waited a while then gave it a coat of some other oil eggshell and
waited again and finally the water paint is sort of going on. It will be
okay.

Thanks all
TW