Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Exteror paint undercoat or primer

If we applied an undercoat of masonary primer paint and then painted over it
a day or two later with gloss paint,can we expect the paint to stay put and
not peel off? if it does peel off can we safely say that the primer will not
come off with the gloss paint as we peel it off?

Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
If we applied an undercoat of masonary primer paint and then painted over it
a day or two later with gloss paint,can we expect the paint to stay put and
not peel off? if it does peel off can we safely say that the primer will not
come off with the gloss paint as we peel it off?

Thanks.

IME most paint sticks to any sound surface, including other paints. It's
just that you can't paint a loaf of bread, no matter what you use.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"stuart noble" wrote in message
George wrote:
If we applied an undercoat of masonary primer paint and then painted

over it
a day or two later with gloss paint,can we expect the paint to stay put

and
not peel off? if it does peel off can we safely say that the primer will

not
come off with the gloss paint as we peel it off?

Thanks.

IME most paint sticks to any sound surface, including other paints. It's
just that you can't paint a loaf of bread, no matter what you use.

The trouble is Stuart I've had a paint job on the outside of the house,I can
peel off the gloss paint after it had time to cure for just over a week.
The painter is insisting they gave it an undercoat/basecoat and I'm arguing
that they never applied one for the simple reason is...the base coat would
not come off with the gloss when peeled,the whole point of an undercoat is
to make sure the gloss has a firm foundation to cling to.

Foundation is smooth sandstone face

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
[...]

So the sandstone was already painted before the latest job? I assume so,
otherwise you would be able to see whether the basecoat had been applied.
I can only tell you that IME, when paint films don't adhere it's
invariably because the surface is too porous. The carrier (water or
solvent) gets sucked in and leaves the resin high and dry. Umpteen coats
of paint don't seem to change this either. I've seen walls with numerous
layers of masonry paint that still soaked up water like a sponge.
Sandstone is usually very porous and, of all paints, gloss needs a sound
surface

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
[...]

This Saturday gone I painted the sandstone sills at the back of the
house,the sills were taken right down the sandstone as was the front of the
house sills.
I painted the back ones with Johnsons dark grey primer,its now Monday and
the primer is well and truly adhered to the sandstone and only scratching it
will remove it.

Yep! proves my theory, only a gloss coat was given to the front sills.
These guys make me laugh when they come up with some silly excuses about
their work,they must think you were born yesterday. :-)