Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 16A Surface mounted inlet plug for caravan or similar

I can get one to IP44 but these have exposed pins. I can get a named
inlet plug for 32 with a flap and IP67 from Screwfix but struggling to
find one that is IP67 in 16A.

I can go to eBay and get one that is no-name but I would far prefer one
with a name and perhaps more rugged.

Does anyone have a source for this?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 30/12/2019 16:48, Fredxx wrote:
I can get one to IP44 but these have exposed pins. I can get a named
inlet plug for 32 with a flap and IP67 from Screwfix but struggling to
find one that is IP67 in 16A.

I can go to eBay and get one that is no-name but I would far prefer one
with a name and perhaps more rugged.

Does anyone have a source for this?

Do you mean exposed pins when there is no plug in the inlet?

So just insert a "bare" 16A plug into the socket when it is not been used.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote:
I can get one to IP44 but these have exposed pins. I can get a named
inlet plug for 32 with a flap and IP67 from Screwfix but struggling to
find one that is IP67 in 16A.

I can go to eBay and get one that is no-name but I would far prefer one
with a name and perhaps more rugged.

Does anyone have a source for this?

No idea about IP rating (but has a cover)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00OQ5SM..._YpJcEb8QD1GHC

IP44 with cover.

https://www.tcschandlery.co.uk/shore...t-16amp/p10237

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:

No idea about IP rating (but has a cover)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00OQ5SM..._YpJcEb8QD1GHC

IP44 with cover.

https://www.tcschandlery.co.uk/shore...t-16amp/p10237

Or more of an enclosure, than a cover

https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/240v-mains-hook-up-flush-mounted-inlet-plug.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Tim+ wrote:

No idea about IP rating (but has a cover)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00OQ5SM..._YpJcEb8QD1GHC

IP44 with cover.

https://www.tcschandlery.co.uk/shore...t-16amp/p10237

Or more of an enclosure, than a cover

https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/240v-mains-hook-up-flush-mounted-inlet-plug.html

Subject line says €śsurface mount€ť

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:

Subject line says €śsurface mount€ť

How about fitting the brand name inlet of choice with a separate captive
cover?

https://www.gewiss.com/ww/en/products/experience-catalogue/catalogs/series/product/building/iec-309-hp-range-plugs-and-socket-outlets-iec-309-standards/GW60263

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Dec 2019 16:48:14 +0000, Fredxx wrote:

I can get one to IP44 but these have exposed pins.

It's an inlet, the male plug pins are dead, so what's the problem?

The flap cover on these connectors is on the female (outlet, socket)
and latches on to the male connector. I don't think I ever seen a
flap on cable or chassis mount male from 16 to 125A single and 3
phase.

I can get a named inlet plug for 32 with a flap and IP67 from Screwfix

I can't see it... surface outlets (female) with flap but none of the
surface inlets (male) that I can find using "32A surface" as the
search term have flaps.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 30/12/2019 17:09, ARW wrote:
On 30/12/2019 16:48, Fredxx wrote:
I can get one to IP44 but these have exposed pins. I can get a named
inlet plug for 32 with a flap and IP67 from Screwfix but struggling to
find one that is IP67 in 16A.

I can go to eBay and get one that is no-name but I would far prefer
one with a name and perhaps more rugged.

Does anyone have a source for this?

Do you mean exposed pins when there is no plug in the inlet?

So just insert a "bare" 16A plug into the socket when it is not been used.

I meant socket
eg
https://www.toolstation.com/industri...rs-ip44/p36883
--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Dec 2019 16:48:14 +0000, Fredxx wrote:

I can get one to IP44 but these have exposed pins. I can get a named
inlet plug for 32 with a flap and IP67 from Screwfix but struggling to
find one that is IP67 in 16A.

I can go to eBay and get one that is no-name but I would far prefer one
with a name and perhaps more rugged.

Does anyone have a source for this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feCZs9YpH3M&t=2s is worth watching.
I've not found any difference between the cheap and expensive ones

Posted to uk.d-i-y

No expert on these but the the flap seems to have no influence on the IP rating but just by observation I note that the IP67 rating only applies to those male plugs with what appears as a locking ring the engages on a suitable female socket with a flange thats accepts the locking ring which probably acts a seal for water ingress. This to me makes sense in that that it is only in use that the IP rating needs to apply.

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/12/2019 08:22:03, ARW wrote:
On 30/12/2019 17:09, ARW wrote:
On 30/12/2019 16:48, Fredxx wrote:
I can get one to IP44 but these have exposed pins. I can get a named
inlet plug for 32 with a flap and IP67 from Screwfix but struggling
to find one that is IP67 in 16A.

I can go to eBay and get one that is no-name but I would far prefer
one with a name and perhaps more rugged.

Does anyone have a source for this?

Do you mean exposed pins when there is no plug in the inlet?

So just insert a "bare" 16A plug into the socket when it is not been
used.

I meant socket
eg
https://www.toolstation.com/industri...rs-ip44/p36883

Thanks but it looks vulnerable to being stolen and back to square 1.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/12/2019 17:33:59, Tim+ wrote:
Fredxx wrote:
I can get one to IP44 but these have exposed pins. I can get a named
inlet plug for 32 with a flap and IP67 from Screwfix but struggling to
find one that is IP67 in 16A.

I can go to eBay and get one that is no-name but I would far prefer one
with a name and perhaps more rugged.

Does anyone have a source for this?

No idea about IP rating (but has a cover)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00OQ5SM..._YpJcEb8QD1GHC

IP44 with cover.

https://www.tcschandlery.co.uk/shore...t-16amp/p10237

Thanks, I have come across ones like this, but wary of the no-name
aspect of purchasing one of these.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/12/2019 17:44:10, Andy Burns wrote:
Tim+ wrote:

Subject line says €śsurface mount€ť

How about fitting the brand name inlet of choice with a separate captive
cover?

https://www.gewiss.com/ww/en/products/experience-catalogue/catalogs/series/product/building/iec-309-hp-range-plugs-and-socket-outlets-iec-309-standards/GW60263

I think that is the closest I'm going to get to a flap for a named make
of surface plug.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/12/2019 18:30:54, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 30 Dec 2019 16:48:14 +0000, Fredxx wrote:

I can get one to IP44 but these have exposed pins.

It's an inlet, the male plug pins are dead, so what's the problem?

The flap cover on these connectors is on the female (outlet, socket)
and latches on to the male connector. I don't think I ever seen a
flap on cable or chassis mount male from 16 to 125A single and 3
phase.

I was concerned over crap and dirt as well as corrosion of the pins. As
you say the pins should not be live.
I can get a named inlet plug for 32 with a flap and IP67 from Screwfix

I can't see it... surface outlets (female) with flap but none of the
surface inlets (male) that I can find using "32A surface" as the
search term have flaps.

Apologies, I seem to have been mistaken.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/12/2019 15:25, Fredxx wrote:
On 30/12/2019 17:44:10, Andy Burns wrote:
Tim+ wrote:

Subject line says €śsurface mount€ť

How about fitting the brand name inlet of choice with a separate
captive cover?

https://www.gewiss.com/ww/en/products/experience-catalogue/catalogs/series/product/building/iec-309-hp-range-plugs-and-socket-outlets-iec-309-standards/GW60263

I think that is the closest I'm going to get to a flap for a named make
of surface plug.

https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/cate...-plugs-sockets

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/12/2019 16:21:57, Brian Reay wrote:
On 31/12/2019 15:25, Fredxx wrote:
On 30/12/2019 17:44:10, Andy Burns wrote:
Tim+ wrote:

Subject line says €śsurface mount€ť

How about fitting the brand name inlet of choice with a separate
captive cover?

https://www.gewiss.com/ww/en/products/experience-catalogue/catalogs/series/product/building/iec-309-hp-range-plugs-and-socket-outlets-iec-309-standards/GW60263

I think that is the closest I'm going to get to a flap for a named
make of surface plug.

https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/cate...-plugs-sockets

Who had this:

https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/prod...ted-inlet-ip44

Or direct to manufacturer:

https://www.mennekes.co.uk/products/.../p-1031102-01/

Thanks, you have found what I wanted. CEF was the last place I would
normally have looked as they are generally so over-priced.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/12/2019 16:48:14, Fredxx wrote:
I can get one to IP44 but these have exposed pins. I can get a named
inlet plug for 32 with a flap and IP67 from Screwfix but struggling to
find one that is IP67 in 16A.

I can go to eBay and get one that is no-name but I would far prefer one
with a name and perhaps more rugged.

Does anyone have a source for this?

In the end I got a no-name one. However the moulding looks identical to
the Mennekes 847 and convinced it must be the same one, except at a
fraction of the price.