Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 01:10 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard is out of Bed and TROLLING, already!!!! LOL

On Fri, 3 Jan 2020 01:10:26 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the abnormal sleepless trolling senile asshole's latest troll****

01:10 in Australia??? AGAIN??????

You really have NO dignity, NO shame ...and no brain, you clinically insane
senile pest!

--
Bill Wright addressing senile Ozzie cretin Rot Speed:
"Well you make up a lot of stuff and it's total ******** most of it."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fuses (not a serious question)

On Thu, 2 Jan 2020 05:36:00 -0800 (PST), whisky-dave
wrote:

On Friday, 20 December 2019 15:40:06 UTC, Scott wrote:
On Fri, 20 Dec 2019 03:17:17 -0800 (PST), whisky-dave
wrote:

On Thursday, 19 December 2019 12:31:37 UTC, whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 19 December 2019 11:34:16 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
wrote in message
On Thursday, 19 December 2019 10:21:08 UTC, Scott wrote:
On Thu, 19 Dec 2019 09:35:42 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

On 18/12/2019 19:57, Scott wrote:

I left a plug fuse in my jacket pocket, which I then washed at 40
degrees (mix programme). Could I still use it (after drying out
obviously) or will its electrical properties be compromised?

For the price of a fuse I would not risk it, since its impossible to say
how it would perform under fault conditions. Any moisture inside would
convert to steam on a high current fault, and make the enclosure more
likely to rupture.

Thanks. Seriously, that was my plan but I just wondered out of
curiosity.

It would need to be dried out, eg in an oven at a bit above 100C.
Trouble is you'd be hard pressed to tell when it was dry.

The normal way to do that is to keep weighing it until the weight
doesn’t drop anymore. And you don’t need accurate scales for that
either, just a simple beam balance with another of those fuses.

Yes that's true I have a see-saw arrangment I could try that on.
I've just weighed 3 3amp fuses and 3 13 amp fuses and they all weigh between 2.36g and 2.44g

I've now placed a 2.41g fuse in some warm water.
I'll report back later today on it's weight.

Well 22 hours later and the fuse weighs 2.41g

How would water get into a fuse I wonder.

What scales are you using BTW? I'm looking at Acuweight jewellery
scales.

Shouldn't really matter but ours are scalix 'precision' costing about £30
0-600g and the display reads to two decimal places.
So I'd estimate a precision of aboit + or - .02g

which I think is close enough to prove the point being made.

Mine is two decimal places also. Cost half as much though :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I doubt the metal caps are water tight

The ones here seem to be tried a few.
They are also perhaps 10+ years old so not the cheap chinese
stuff you might be buying on ebay.

I actually stole them from work.

I only ever borrow them. They are MK with the BS logo
That's British standard not bull****.

and they would be
about 40 years old. Havent tried to see how water
tight they are in a washing machine hot cycle tho.

Might be worth a try, if you have the time and can be bothered.
That way you'll know or at leadt have some idea depending on your sample size.

and it may be possible to get some
vacuum effect as it cools down in
a washing machine at the end of the
hot wash followed by a cold rinse.

yeah sure with cheap fuses.
I also tried it with a couple of glass fuses, no sighn of water getting
in.

But did you try it in a washing machine hot wash full cycle ?

No.
I'll leave that to you. what do yuo call hot 60C or 90C ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Shouldn't really matter but ours are scalix 'precision' costing about £30
0-600g and the display reads to two decimal places.
So I'd estimate a precision of aboit + or - .02g

which I think is close enough to prove the point being made.

Mine is two decimal places also. Cost half as much though :-)

We can buy cheap **** too, as well as paying more than we need.
But I looked at mt stock list where I have the make and model/serial number, as well as the price paid.

we had specific requirements in that it should NOT be small and easy to nick had to be mains powered and easy enough for students to use and not break, a tall order. It was bought on 4th october 2013 for £96

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Unbranded-F...8049161&sr=8-8
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote
wrote:

[...]

I dont hot wash at all anymore. I used to
do hot washes with very greasy overalls
but dont bother with overalls at all anymore
and never need to do any greasy work on
the car like wheel bearings anymore either.

That way you'll know or at leadt have some
idea depending on your sample size.

But with 40 year old fuses that doesn't prove
anything useful about the currently buyable fuses.

and it may be possible to get some
vacuum effect as it cools down in
a washing machine at the end of the
hot wash followed by a cold rinse.

yeah sure with cheap fuses.
I also tried it with a couple of glass
fuses, no sighn of water getting in.

But did you try it in a washing machine hot wash full cycle ?

No.
I'll leave that to you. what do yuo call hot 60C or 90C ?

Not sure what my current machine does hot wash temp wise.

I no longer use the one I used to do the greasy overalls in.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Sat, 4 Jan 2020 08:00:28 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senile asshole's troll****

08:00 in Australia? Whatsa matter, senile Rodent? Are you sick? Or why did
you sleep in today, you abnormal senile pest?

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote
wrote:

[...]

So hot washes aren't relivent then.

That way you'll know or at leadt have some
idea depending on your sample size.

But with 40 year old fuses that doesn't prove
anything useful about the currently buyable fuses.

No it doesn't especailly if you've bought fake fuses from ebay
or anywhere else usually on the cheap.
I'd say a genuine 40 year old fuse would be as good as a new genuine fuse
and probbaly much safer than a modern fake fuse.

and it may be possible to get some
vacuum effect as it cools down in
a washing machine at the end of the
hot wash followed by a cold rinse.

yeah sure with cheap fuses.
I also tried it with a couple of glass
fuses, no sighn of water getting in.

But did you try it in a washing machine hot wash full cycle ?

No.
I'll leave that to you. what do yuo call hot 60C or 90C ?

Not sure what my current machine does hot wash temp wise.

Mine has a setting for 90C it's about 8 years old.

I no longer use the one I used to do the greasy overalls in.