Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OTish: Book ID ?

Do these people not understand that this destabilises a currency if they
keep on doing it?
I vaguely recollect the book actually, but I believe that now the law will
not let people profit by telling their crime stories, it may well be that
publishers are shy to reprint such books.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
asking here because it may have appealed to DIYers ...

in the 90s, I read a true-crime book by a forger. The covers claim was
that he cost the US treasury millions by forging their "unforgeable"
dollars months after they were released.

It was very detailed, and mentioned oddities they had used in the dollar
production to make it impossible to photograph a dollar bill and have it
all in focus. (He managed to get around that by photographing 1mm squares
at different focal lengths and stitching them into a single plate).

There was also mention that US currency has 1mm plastic rods of different
colours embedded - one test for genuine is to tease one out under a
microscope.

Try as I might I can't seem to find it now. Does anyone recall reading
it, and (more usefully) who wrote it ?

It ended with him being caught (he makes the point forgers will always
risk being caught next to a sodding big printing press) and choosing to
plead guilty in the UK to avoid a US case.