Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OTish The Book

Hi Chaps

I've been thinking about this for a while now and have finally made a start.

A book on "how to start & run a successful handyman business".

I went through a huge learning curve when I started from scratch 7 years
ago. The concept isn't a "DIY manual" or a "confessions of a handyman"
book, but a guide to running it as a business.

So, what I'd like is a few volunteer sub eds or proof readers. The idea
is, when each chapter is finished, I e mail it to a few people who
comment on it.

You don't get paid :-) However, when it's published you will get a
mention & thanks - as will this excellent NG.

Any volunteers?

(Unbeliever need not apply).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
Hi Chaps

I've been thinking about this for a while now and have finally made a
start.

A book on "how to start & run a successful handyman business".

I went through a huge learning curve when I started from scratch 7 years
ago. The concept isn't a "DIY manual" or a "confessions of a handyman"
book, but a guide to running it as a business.

So, what I'd like is a few volunteer sub eds or proof readers. The idea
is, when each chapter is finished, I e mail it to a few people who comment
on it.

You don't get paid :-) However, when it's published you will get a
mention & thanks - as will this excellent NG.

Any volunteers?

(Unbeliever need not apply).

Yeah count me in if it helps, the email in my headers works. Is the film
version going to be "Confessions of a Handyman" with Robin Askwith playing
you?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Aug 2013 11:20:20 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Hi Chaps

I've been thinking about this for a while now and have finally made a
start.

A book on "how to start & run a successful handyman business".

I went through a huge learning curve when I started from scratch 7 years
ago. The concept isn't a "DIY manual" or a "confessions of a handyman"
book, but a guide to running it as a business.

So, what I'd like is a few volunteer sub eds or proof readers. The idea
is, when each chapter is finished, I e mail it to a few people who
comment on it.

You don't get paid :-) However, when it's published you will get a
mention & thanks - as will this excellent NG.

Any volunteers?

(Unbeliever need not apply).

Always happy to proof read - for general 'understandability' rather than
technical content.

Sounds like an excellent idea.

I'm also massively photogenic if it goes to TV or film.

Cheers

Dave R
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/08/2013 11:31, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

[...]

Nah! I gave up sex for religious reasons. God made me ugly....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/08/2013 12:01, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
[...]

Ta. E mail your e mail address please

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman scribbled...

Hi Chaps

I've been thinking about this for a while now and have finally made a start.

A book on "how to start & run a successful handyman business".

I went through a huge learning curve when I started from scratch 7 years
ago. The concept isn't a "DIY manual" or a "confessions of a handyman"
book, but a guide to running it as a business.

So, what I'd like is a few volunteer sub eds or proof readers. The idea
is, when each chapter is finished, I e mail it to a few people who
comment on it.

You don't get paid :-) However, when it's published you will get a
mention & thanks - as will this excellent NG.

Any volunteers?

(Unbeliever need not apply).

You can pick up a few hints and tips from this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Run-your-o...-/321183018816

There's **** all money in writing a book and most subjects have already
been covered. There are several other titles and even websites covering
running a handyman business.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/08/2013 13:24, Artic wrote:
[...]

I'm not writing it to make a fortune...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi Chaps

I've been thinking about this for a while now and have finally made a
start.

A book on "how to start & run a successful handyman business".

I went through a huge learning curve when I started from scratch 7 years
ago. The concept isn't a "DIY manual" or a "confessions of a handyman"
book, but a guide to running it as a business.

So, what I'd like is a few volunteer sub eds or proof readers. The idea
is, when each chapter is finished, I e mail it to a few people who
comment on it.

You don't get paid :-) However, when it's published you will get a
mention & thanks - as will this excellent NG.

Any volunteers?

Yea, go on then... count me in.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/11/2013 01:24 PM, Artic wrote:

You can pick up a few hints and tips from this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Run-your-o...-/321183018816

There's **** all money in writing a book and most subjects have already
been covered. There are several other titles and even websites covering
running a handyman business.

That's what they told J K Rowling. Don't bother, there's loads of books
about wizards! What the point of discouraging anyone from having a go?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Cap scribbled...

On 08/11/2013 01:24 PM, Artic wrote:

You can pick up a few hints and tips from this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Run-your-o...-/321183018816

There's **** all money in writing a book and most subjects have already
been covered. There are several other titles and even websites covering
running a handyman business.

That's what they told J K Rowling. Don't bother, there's loads of books
about wizards! What the point of discouraging anyone from having a go?

I know people who've wasted time and money on vanity publishing. There
can be money in telling stories about incidents that have happened
around their jobs. There's not much in telling someone how to run a
business - new businessmen think they know it all when they start out.
If they knew the pitfalls, they'd never start.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Hi Chaps

I've been thinking about this for a while now and have finally made a
start.

A book on "how to start & run a successful handyman business".

I went through a huge learning curve when I started from scratch 7 years
ago. The concept isn't a "DIY manual" or a "confessions of a handyman"
book, but a guide to running it as a business.

So, what I'd like is a few volunteer sub eds or proof readers. The idea
is, when each chapter is finished, I e mail it to a few people who
comment on it.

You don't get paid :-) However, when it's published you will get a
mention & thanks - as will this excellent NG.

Any volunteers?

(Unbeliever need not apply).

I'm game to help Dave
my email in the header works after removing all upper case characters.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 11 August 2013 11:20:20 UTC+1, The Medway Handyman wrote:
Hi Chaps

I've been thinking about this for a while now and have finally made a start.

A book on "how to start & run a successful handyman business".

I went through a huge learning curve when I started from scratch 7 years

ago. The concept isn't a "DIY manual" or a "confessions of a handyman"

book, but a guide to running it as a business.

So, what I'd like is a few volunteer sub eds or proof readers. The idea

is, when each chapter is finished, I e mail it to a few people who

comment on it.

You don't get paid :-) However, when it's published you will get a

mention & thanks - as will this excellent NG.

Any volunteers?

(Unbeliever need not apply).

Yeah, I'll do it; I'll enjoy it!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/08/2013 14:26, Andy Cap wrote:
On 08/11/2013 01:24 PM, Artic wrote:

You can pick up a few hints and tips from this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Run-your-o...-/321183018816

There's **** all money in writing a book and most subjects have already
been covered. There are several other titles and even websites covering
running a handyman business.

That's what they told J K Rowling. Don't bother, there's loads of books
about wizards! What the point of discouraging anyone from having a go?

A lot of people told me I couldn't run a handyman business....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

So, what I'd like is a few volunteer sub eds or proof readers.

Yeah, sling a copy this way.
Is there a chapter on repairing bicycles?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

So, what I'd like is a few volunteer sub eds or proof readers. The idea
is, when each chapter is finished, I e mail it to a few people who
comment on it.

You don't get paid :-) However, when it's published you will get a
mention & thanks - as will this excellent NG.

Any volunteers?

I'm reckoned to be a pretty good proof reader and sub.
reply-to address is valid
--
djc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hi Chaps

I've been thinking about this for a while now and have finally made a start.

A book on "how to start & run a successful handyman business".

I went through a huge learning curve when I started from scratch 7 years
ago. The concept isn't a "DIY manual" or a "confessions of a handyman"
book, but a guide to running it as a business.

So, what I'd like is a few volunteer sub eds or proof readers. The idea
is, when each chapter is finished, I e mail it to a few people who
comment on it.

You don't get paid :-) However, when it's published you will get a
mention & thanks - as will this excellent NG.

Any volunteers?

(Unbeliever need not apply).

You've probably got enough volunteers, but I'm happy to help too. I
have previous experience in this area.

email address is valid.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi Chaps

I've been thinking about this for a while now and have finally made a
start.

A book on "how to start & run a successful handyman business".

I went through a huge learning curve when I started from scratch 7 years
ago. The concept isn't a "DIY manual" or a "confessions of a handyman"
book, but a guide to running it as a business.

So, what I'd like is a few volunteer sub eds or proof readers. The idea
is, when each chapter is finished, I e mail it to a few people who
comment on it.

You don't get paid :-) However, when it's published you will get a
mention & thanks - as will this excellent NG.

Any volunteers?

(Unbeliever need not apply).

If you need anyone else, I am happy to have a read and make constructive
criticism if needed!

--
Toby...
Remove pants to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Any volunteers?

(Unbeliever need not apply).

Not even if you use easy words and finger spacing?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/08/2013 19:09, ARW wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Any volunteers?

(Unbeliever need not apply).

Not even if you use easy words and finger spacing?

Joined up letters confuse him...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Hi Chaps

I've been thinking about this for a while now and have finally made a
start.

A book on "how to start & run a successful handyman business".

I went through a huge learning curve when I started from scratch 7
years ago. The concept isn't a "DIY manual" or a "confessions of a
handyman" book, but a guide to running it as a business.

So, what I'd like is a few volunteer sub eds or proof readers. The
idea is, when each chapter is finished, I e mail it to a few people
who comment on it.

You don't get paid :-) However, when it's published you will get a
mention & thanks - as will this excellent NG.

Any volunteers?

(Unbeliever need not apply).

You are quite right, and after reading some of your questions and abuse
here, I certainly *wouldn't* volunteer to help you write a book on how to
sharpen a chisel - let alone on "how to start & run a successful handyman
business".

If you have to advertis for "volunteers" for help, then you really don't
know enough about starting and run a "sucessful" business - let alone write
a book on it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Any volunteers?

(Unbeliever need not apply).

Not even if you use easy words and finger spacing?

Fine words from someone who uses "apprentice abuse" to hide his own
inadequacies.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 12/08/2013 19:09, ARW wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Any volunteers?

(Unbeliever need not apply).

Not even if you use easy words and finger spacing?

Joined up letters confuse him...

And that from someone who for quite some time only used the acronym, "FOD"
or words such as '****', '****' etc in almost ever sentence you posted
here - along with some rather unintelligible questions.

No wonder you have to ask for volunteers to write your three paragraph
missive.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Aug 2013 00:03:20 +0100, Unbeliever wrote:

Bob Minchin wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

which just confirms that your jealousy knows no bounds.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Aug 2013 00:03:20 +0100, Unbeliever wrote:

If you have to advertis for "volunteers" for help, then you really don't
know enough about starting and run a "sucessful" business -

Oh I don't know, getting people to work for nothing does wonders for
the wages bill.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

On Sunday, 11 August 2013 20:08:24 UTC+1, The Medway Handyman wrote:

A lot of people told me I couldn't run a handyman business....

"They all laughed when I said I was going to be a comedian ... well, they aren't laughing now..."

[the only decent joke I ever heard Bob Monkhouse tell]

J^n
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, August 15, 2013 1:12:34 AM UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
Oh I don't know, getting people to work for nothing does wonders for
the wages bill.

Even better if you call it a work experience placement and get the government to pay you for offering it.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/08/2013 00:03, Unbeliever wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

Its ok, we would not ask since I expect we can count the number of
successful enterprises you have run on the fingers of one foot.

If you have to advertis for "volunteers" for help, then you really don't
know enough about starting and run a "sucessful" business - let alone write
a book on it.

Yup that's a real snappy comeback... only seven years too late.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Unbeliever wrote:
ARW wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Any volunteers?

(Unbeliever need not apply).

Not even if you use easy words and finger spacing?

Fine words from someone who uses "apprentice abuse" to hide his own
inadequacies.

It called teaching them properly. Non of this namby pamby ******** that
seems to happen so often today. It's a tough world out there and someone has
to help them. That someone is me.

I shall be insulting an apprentice at 8am in the morning for messing up some
work. That will be the same apprentice that I will work with all day without
any grudges and I will no doubt end up buying his breakfast.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/08/2013 00:05, Unbeliever wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 11/08/2013 14:26, Andy Cap wrote:
On 08/11/2013 01:24 PM, Artic wrote:

You can pick up a few hints and tips from this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Run-your-o...-/321183018816

There's **** all money in writing a book and most subjects have
already been covered. There are several other titles and even
websites covering running a handyman business.

That's what they told J K Rowling. Don't bother, there's loads of
books about wizards! What the point of discouraging anyone from
having a go?

A lot of people told me I couldn't run a handyman business....

From reading some of your posts here, you can't.

Buy alas I have - and prospered through the worst recession in living
memory. More than you ever achieved in your sad little life. No wonder
you are so bitter....

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

jkn wrote:
On Sunday, 11 August 2013 20:08:24 UTC+1, The Medway Handyman wrote:

A lot of people told me I couldn't run a handyman business....

"They all laughed when I said I was going to be a comedian ... well,
they aren't laughing now..."

[the only decent joke I ever heard Bob Monkhouse tell]

Did you ever see him on tour? He was one of the sharpest comedians I have
ever seen.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/08/2013 20:19 ARW wrote:

jkn wrote:
On Sunday, 11 August 2013 20:08:24 UTC+1, The Medway Handyman wrote:

A lot of people told me I couldn't run a handyman business....

"They all laughed when I said I was going to be a comedian ... well,
they aren't laughing now..."

[the only decent joke I ever heard Bob Monkhouse tell]

Did you ever see him on tour? He was one of the sharpest comedians I have
ever seen.

I did, and you're not wrong! Him and Spike Milligan - pure genius!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/08/2013 20:36, F wrote:
On 15/08/2013 20:19 ARW wrote:

jkn wrote:
On Sunday, 11 August 2013 20:08:24 UTC+1, The Medway Handyman wrote:

A lot of people told me I couldn't run a handyman business....

"They all laughed when I said I was going to be a comedian ... well,
they aren't laughing now..."

[the only decent joke I ever heard Bob Monkhouse tell]

Did you ever see him on tour? He was one of the sharpest comedians I have
ever seen.

I did, and you're not wrong! Him and Spike Milligan - pure genius!

Yup the live act was supposed to be much edgier than they would allow on
TV. Shame I never saw it...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
"ARW" wrote:

Unbeliever wrote:

It called teaching them properly. None of this namby pamby ********
that seems to happen so often today. It's a tough world out there
and someone has to help them. That someone is me.

I shall be insulting an apprentice at 8am in the morning for messing
up some work. That will be the same apprentice that I will work with
all day without any grudges and I will no doubt end up buying his
breakfast.

Which act will teach the apprentice that there are people who are
tough but fair. IOW you are allowed to make mistakes but the no-no is
not learning from them.

He did rather well today. We went to Tescos and he used the self service
checkout.
Someone had left a wallet on it. He handed it it without any hesitation. How
many 19 year olds would do that. In fact how many people of any age would do
that?

I was rather proud of him. And he was not being watched, he could easily
have taken it.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 16 Aug 2013 17:07:57 +0100, ARW wrote:

He did rather well today. We went to Tescos and he used the self service
checkout.

He's one of the brighter ones then, those things annoy me though they
have got better.

Someone had left a wallet on it. He handed it it without any hesitation.
How hany 19 year olds would do that. In fact how many people of any age
would do that?

A wallet, handbag etc I would, a stray fiver or tenner probably not.

I was rather proud of him. And he was not being watched, he could easily
have taken it.

Have you not looked at the ceiling in the checkout or self checkout
areas of any supermarket? Veritable forest of CCTV cameras...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

Hi Adam

On Thursday, 15 August 2013 20:19:09 UTC+1, wrote:
[the only decent joke I ever heard Bob Monkhouse tell]

Did you ever see him on tour? He was one of the sharpest comedians I have

ever seen.

Nope, never did. Fair enough, thanks for the info. I agree that you can get a very different sense of comedians (and performers in general) live compared to on the idiot box.

Cheers
J^n
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:
[the only decent joke I ever heard Bob Monkhouse tell]

Did you ever see him on tour? He was one of the sharpest comedians I
have

ever seen.

Nope, never did. Fair enough, thanks for the info. I agree that you
can get a very different sense of comedians (and performers in
general) live compared to on the idiot box.

But available on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GYp3Ls3Hz8

and you can decide for yourself.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
"ARW" wrote:

Unbeliever wrote:
ARW wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

[...]

Not the b*stard who followed me at the self service till when I left my
fiver change in it, that's for sure.

(I realised as soon as I'd got to the door, but too late!

tim

OTish. Battery harryagain[_2_] UK diy 10 August 14th 13 09:20 PM
OTish Youtube. harry UK diy 7 November 25th 12 11:06 AM
OTish? TV to PC connections Mike.. . . . UK diy 33 January 5th 12 10:40 AM
OTish. You'll like this. Not a lot but some. harry UK diy 28 September 4th 11 09:29 AM
OTish. Peak oil. harry UK diy 103 February 14th 11 12:20 AM