Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Butt hinge for aluminium garage door

The garage opening is side hinged with one part being about a normal
size door width and the other being a lot wider.

The lower hinge of the smaller door broke today. It's made of brass.
The door does catch a bit as it's opened but not that much.

Anyway I may as well replace both top and bottom hinges but any tips?
Should I go brass again? Or steel? Rust? Security?

I'll probably pop-rivet into the aluminium door and wood screws into
the side frame unless suggestions are otherwise.

--
AnthonyL

Why do scientists need to BELIEVE in anything?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 5 December 2019 19:54:35 UTC, AnthonyL wrote:
The garage opening is side hinged with one part being about a normal
size door width and the other being a lot wider.

The lower hinge of the smaller door broke today. It's made of brass.
The door does catch a bit as it's opened but not that much.

Anyway I may as well replace both top and bottom hinges but any tips?
Should I go brass again? Or steel? Rust? Security?

I'll probably pop-rivet into the aluminium door and wood screws into
the side frame unless suggestions are otherwise.

Steel + ali results in much accelerated corrosion of the ali. Not a good combination

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 6 December 2019 18:52:17 UTC, newshound wrote:
On 06/12/2019 16:04, tabbypurr wrote:
On Thursday, 5 December 2019 19:54:35 UTC, AnthonyL wrote:

The garage opening is side hinged with one part being about a normal
size door width and the other being a lot wider.

The lower hinge of the smaller door broke today. It's made of brass.
The door does catch a bit as it's opened but not that much.

Anyway I may as well replace both top and bottom hinges but any tips?
Should I go brass again? Or steel? Rust? Security?

I'll probably pop-rivet into the aluminium door and wood screws into
the side frame unless suggestions are otherwise.

Steel + ali results in much accelerated corrosion of the ali. Not a good combination

NT

But only if it gets damp.

I'm pretty sure outdoor things do.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 6 December 2019 20:33:52 UTC, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message ,
tabbypurr writes

Steel + ali results in much accelerated corrosion of the ali. Not a
good combination

Brass,steel, ali is worse:-)

we can only guess what that means.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 09:52 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for almost NINE HOURS already!!!! LOL

On Sat, 7 Dec 2019 09:52:20 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH troll****

09:52??? LMAO! STILL not able to go back to sleep, you abnormal, clinically
insane, senile pest? You've been up and trolling ALL NIGHT LONG, yet AGAIN,
for almost NINE HOURS ...so far! LOL

"That¢s because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 6 December 2019 21:35:56 UTC, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message ,
tabbypurr writes
On Friday, 6 December 2019 20:33:52 UTC, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message ,
tabbypurr writes

Steel + ali results in much accelerated corrosion of the ali. Not a
good combination

Brass,steel, ali is worse:-)

we can only guess what that means.

I once used pop rivets (aluminium) to secure protective strips to a
sports car wing. The real mistake was using brass washers under the
rivet heads. Moist road salt environment, they lasted less than 12
months.

Someone will chip in with the electrical activity numbers for various
metals:-)

So what would you use for an ali door? Casting ali hinges & using ali rivets might be ideal but it's a bit of a faff.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message ,
writes
[...]

Something like this?

https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/...ng-hinge-102x7
6x3mm-304-satin-stainless-steel-pair-321864?vat=1&shopping=true&infinity=
ict2~net~gaw~ar~387176555199~kw~~mt~~cmp~Smart+Sho pping+%3E+Top+Products~
ag~Ad+group&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIq8rHkdij5gIVFKSzCh3E 2QeYEAQYCSABEgLtffD_BwE
&gclsrc=aw.ds

Fixings might be the bigger problem. Will the door skin take a machine
screw thread.

Our swing fly screen doors are almost always aluminium and plated
hinges work fine, with pop rivets used both to attach the high to the
door and the hinge to the metal frame if it has a metal frame.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 04:22 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for HALF AN HOUR already!!!! LOL

On Sun, 8 Dec 2019 04:22:09 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH trolling senile asshole's latest troll****

04:22, AGAIN? Don't you find that your trolling hours are a "bit" ABNORMAL,
you trolling senile pest? LOL

--
dennis@home to retarded senile Rot:
"sod off rod you don't have a clue about anything."