Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Utility drier system tested

In my utility room many years ago, I installed a drying system. A
series of stainless steel clothes lines, a dehumidifier and a fan
mounted on the wall to move the air. Basically a cheaper way to dry
washing quickly without using the condensing drier and much more
capacity.

The rule has always been load the lines up, turn it on and just leave
it overnight. Next morning everything was dry, but its a bit cooler
anyway in there, so difficult to be sure things were actually dry.

The other day I had a light bulb moment...

I already have a damp meter, why not use it to test whether clothes had
dried or not. A bit of experimentation suggests they show as dry within
2 or or 3 hours, straight from the washer after its spin dry, depending
on material thickness. So, no need to leave it running all night.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) formulated on Sunday :
Often things dry in part, but not all over I find.

I checked the thicker, more sheltered from the airflow parts. I was
just curious as to how long my system actually took to dry things out,
as previously it was just set to run from the evening, until next
morning until someone noticed and switched it off. Its cooler in there,
north side of house and no cavity wall - so checking by feel, they
always felt cool/moist.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 30 November 2019 19:24:52 UTC, wrote:
In my utility room many years ago, I installed a drying system. A
series of stainless steel clothes lines, a dehumidifier and a fan
mounted on the wall to move the air. Basically a cheaper way to dry
washing quickly without using the condensing drier and much more
capacity.

The rule has always been load the lines up, turn it on and just leave
it overnight. Next morning everything was dry, but its a bit cooler
anyway in there, so difficult to be sure things were actually dry.

The other day I had a light bulb moment...

I already have a damp meter, why not use it to test whether clothes had
dried or not. A bit of experimentation suggests they show as dry within
2 or or 3 hours, straight from the washer after its spin dry, depending
on material thickness. So, no need to leave it running all night.

I found it's the fan that does most of the work, not the dehumidifier

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

You need the de humidifier though to stop condensation and maybe fungal
growth in the damp air.
Brian

Some places do, most don't.

NT