Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Now would be a good time for the annual"have you tested your central heating system" post

Wouldn't it ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/10/2012 23:07, geoff wrote:

Wouldn't it ...

Indeed... next week is the start of the "my boiler is broken season"

(as Geoff rubs his hands in anticipation!) ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , geoff
writes

Wouldn't it ...

I tested mine last week and all is running fine! The boiler fires when
requested, the pump runs and the rad's get hot, what more could one
want? Well perhaps to fix the intermittent fault on the PCB that
causes the main gas valve not to open. I've had a biro jammed across
the PCB for 3 years now holding something, as yet unseen, in just the
right position so that it works! If it wasn't so bl**dy awkward to get
to I might take it out and re-crimp and clean all the connectors. As it
is the biro will probably serve for another winter, at least.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message

Wouldn't it ...

Ours has been coming on for quite a few days now at 7:45am, not for long,
fortunately.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

What I don't get though is why its so late? surely as everyone will be
calling the menders at the same time the waiting lists will grow. Much
better to do it at the start of September. Likewise I was very intrigued by
all the publicity for insulation and heating freebies from Government now,
however having taken advantage of this a few years ago, I cannot understand
whey its October when these things get publicised as realistically nobody is
going to fit the gear till at the earliest mid November and we can and have
had cold snaps well before that in the past.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"geoff" wrote in message

Wouldn't it ...

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ah yeas some years ago a friend told me that a plastic coctail stick had
been in his boiler doing a similar task for five years.
Could be that this is a common problem with boilers.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Bill" wrote in message
In message , geoff
writes

Wouldn't it ...

I tested mine last week and all is running fine! The boiler fires when
requested, the pump runs and the rad's get hot, what more could one want?
Well perhaps to fix the intermittent fault on the PCB that causes the main
gas valve not to open. I've had a biro jammed across the PCB for 3 years
now holding something, as yet unseen, in just the right position so that
it works! If it wasn't so bl**dy awkward to get to I might take it out
and re-crimp and clean all the connectors. As it is the biro will
probably serve for another winter, at least.
--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message om, brass
monkey writes

"geoff" wrote in message

Wouldn't it ...

Ours has been coming on for quite a few days now at 7:45am, not for long,
fortunately.

Likewise.

Also an evenings worth of log burner.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Brian Gaff" writes:
Likewise I was very intrigued by
all the publicity for insulation and heating freebies from Government now,

That's all coming to an end about now, isn't it?

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 02 Oct 2012 23:17:35 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

On 02/10/2012 23:07, geoff wrote:

Wouldn't it ...

Indeed... next week is the start of the "my boiler is broken season"

(as Geoff rubs his hands in anticipation!) ;-)

Blinking heck where do you live?
It's been on here on and off since 30th august I think. Thermostat
level was low enough to trigger it on. Think it was about 2'c in the
greenhouse then.
I am still waiting for summer.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/10/2012 23:37, Bill wrote:
In message , geoff
writes

Wouldn't it ...

I tested mine last week and all is running fine! The boiler fires
when requested, the pump runs and the rad's get hot, what more could one
want? Well perhaps to fix the intermittent fault on the PCB that
causes the main gas valve not to open. I've had a biro jammed across
the PCB for 3 years now holding something, as yet unseen, in just the
right position so that it works! If it wasn't so bl**dy awkward to get
to I might take it out and re-crimp and clean all the connectors. As it
is the biro will probably serve for another winter, at least.

I read this thread yesterday, and then our heating failed to come on
this morning - aargh!

Fortunately I didn't take too long for the penny to drop that the
problem was nothing worse than flat batteries in the wireless roomstat
we had fitted a couple of years ago. I wonder how many ££ plumbers make
from people suffering from that particular problem?!

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"Brian Gaff" writes:
Likewise I was very intrigued by
all the publicity for insulation and heating freebies from Government
now,

That's all coming to an end about now, isn't it?

--
Andrew Gabriel

I am sick to death of answering the bloody phone to "Local Energy Advisors".
Apparently, I have about a hundred of them, ringing me on a daily basis ,,,

As to having the heating on, I'm surprised that so many are finding it
necessary already. During the 'off' season, we just turn the room 'stat to
zero (the actual controller is hidden behind the tumble dryer, so a pain to
get to to set "heating off"). A couple of weeks ago, I shoved the 'stat up
briefly to check that the pump ran - usually it has seized and I have to
take the cap off the back of the pump and swing the rotor shaft with a
screwdy to get it started - and much to my surprise, it ran straight off.
Fair bit of gurgling initially, but it quietened down and all the rads got
hot. It's a 30 y.o. Ideal Mexico, probably due for replacement but hey,
while it's still working ...

So, our heating hasn't come on on its own so far, and actually, I would have
been surprised if it had, even if the 'stat *was* up. We haven't found it
cold enough here in central England so far, to even consider having it on.
In fact I only stopped wearing shorts last week, and am still just in a
T-shirt around the house, and the same outside, most of the time. I ain't
young any more, and I've never felt that I have much of a tolerance for the
cold, but maybe I have ... ??

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:

As to having the heating on, I'm surprised that so many are finding it
necessary already. During the 'off' season, we just turn the room 'stat to
zero

Never turn mine off, but the programmable stat doesn't kick-in until it
starts turning chilly, it has been on a few times so far this autumn ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
No in fact the grant is dead, long live the new grants. It happens every
year when a new encumbent company seems to get the gig.

I though that the "green deal" replaced grants, so AIUI grants really are
dead going forwards

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 3 Oct 2012 09:56:54 +0100, tim..... wrote:

No in fact the grant is dead, long live the new grants. It happens
every year when a new encumbent company seems to get the gig.

"rebranding" is the buzz word isn't it?

I though that the "green deal" replaced grants, so AIUI grants really
are dead going forwards

Feck knows what is happening with the "green deal", seems to be a bigger
cock up than rail franchises.

Oh I see a bit of movement. The RHI (Domestic) is out for consultation
closes 7th Dec, this should have been in place by now IIRC... Now aiming
for Summer 2013.

http://www.decc.gov.uk/en/content/cm...estic/rhi_dome
stic.aspx

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 02/10/2012 23:07, geoff wrote:

Wouldn't it ...

Indeed... next week is the start of the "my boiler is broken season"

(as Geoff rubs his hands in anticipation!) ;-)

Blinking heck where do you live?

SE Essex

It's been on here on and off since 30th august I think. Thermostat

Mine did not come on at all in August or most of September, but that
could be due to it spending most of that time not connected to gas or
electricity and being sat in a pile of scrap in the garden ;-)

level was low enough to trigger it on. Think it was about 2'c in the
greenhouse then.

Don't think it has dropped below 8 at night so far here, and 13 odd is
not uncommon in the day. With the weather compensation on the new one, I
have seen it running flow temperatures as low as 32 on occasion.

I am still waiting for summer.

Got a feeling its going to be a long wait!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 03 Oct 2012 11:28:36 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

Don't think it has dropped below 8 at night so far here, and 13 odd is
not uncommon in the day.

We've been between 5 and 10C from about 11th September with a couple of
daytime daytime peaks 15C but generally only highs of 13C ish by day.
We've had a few fairly sharp ground frosts and IIRC at least one air
frost. First snow to be expected by the end of the month.

I am still waiting for summer.

Got a feeling its going to be a long wait!

You must have both blinked at the end of March...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 3 Oct 2012 05:41:11 -0700 (PDT), Owain wrote:

When I were a lad green deal was a campaign to get children eating
vegetables..

When I were a lad you ate your vegetables or got no pudding.

"You! Yes, you! Stand still laddy!"

"Wrong, Do it again!"

"If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding. How can you
have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?"

"You! Yes, you behind the bikesheds, stand still laddy!"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Brian Gaff" writes:
When I were a lad green deal was a campaign to get children eating
vegetables..

And now they've grown up, it's a campaign to treat them like vegetables...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 03/10/12 09:26, Arfa Daily wrote:

shaft with a screwdy to get it started - and much to my surprise, it ran
straight off. Fair bit of gurgling initially, but it quietened down and
all the rads got hot. It's a 30 y.o. Ideal Mexico, probably due for
replacement but hey, while it's still working ...

I replaced my Ideal Mexico five years ago. I never turned it off over
the summer as getting the pilot lighted again tended to be troublesome.
After it was replaced with a Worcester-Bosch whiich had no pilot light I
realised how much that pilot light was costing me over the summer months.

--
djc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/10/2012 23:07, geoff wrote:

Wouldn't it ...

I don't generally bother. Boiler, pump and associated motorised valve
run for hot water all year. As each room has its own dedicated
timer/stat and motorised valve, a stuck valve or other fault only loses
heating for one room, which is not a major problem.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
On 02/10/2012 23:07, geoff wrote:

Wouldn't it ...

Indeed... next week is the start of the "my boiler is broken season"

(as Geoff rubs his hands in anticipation!) ;-)

Geoff's in the land of the mannequin **** atm and off to Braunschweig
for his eldest son's wedding tomorrow

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes

level was low enough to trigger it on. Think it was about 2'c in the
greenhouse then.

Don't think it has dropped below 8 at night so far here, and 13 odd is
not uncommon in the day. With the weather compensation on the new one,
I have seen it running flow temperatures as low as 32 on occasion.

I am still waiting for summer.

Got a feeling its going to be a long wait!

Still wearing short sleeved shirts ATM

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Brian Gaff
writes
Ah yeas some years ago a friend told me that a plastic coctail stick had
been in his boiler doing a similar task for five years.
Could be that this is a common problem with boilers.

What, poor taste in alcoholic beerages?

yeah, prolly

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/10/2012 20:12, geoff wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes

level was low enough to trigger it on. Think it was about 2'c in the
greenhouse then.

Don't think it has dropped below 8 at night so far here, and 13 odd is
not uncommon in the day. With the weather compensation on the new one,
I have seen it running flow temperatures as low as 32 on occasion.

I am still waiting for summer.

Got a feeling its going to be a long wait!

Still wearing short sleeved shirts ATM

Well same here - but was tempted to get the thin coat out of the cupboard!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/10/2012 20:09, geoff wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes
On 02/10/2012 23:07, geoff wrote:

Wouldn't it ...

Indeed... next week is the start of the "my boiler is broken season"

(as Geoff rubs his hands in anticipation!) ;-)

Geoff's in the land of the mannequin **** atm and off to Braunschweig
for his eldest son's wedding tomorrow

Congrats to him and his Mrs to be then!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , SteveW
writes
On 02/10/2012 23:07, geoff wrote:

Wouldn't it ...

I don't generally bother. Boiler, pump and associated motorised valve
run for hot water all year. As each room has its own dedicated
timer/stat and motorised valve, a stuck valve or other fault only loses
heating for one room, which is not a major problem.

Has anyone done the sums for gas system boiler/ electric immersion for
the summer?

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
djc writes:
I replaced my Ideal Mexico five years ago. I never turned it off over
the summer as getting the pilot lighted again tended to be troublesome.
After it was replaced with a Worcester-Bosch whiich had no pilot light I
realised how much that pilot light was costing me over the summer months.

A pilot light is typically burning about 250W, continuously in your case.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/10/2012 20:12, geoff wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes

level was low enough to trigger it on. Think it was about 2'c in the
greenhouse then.

Don't think it has dropped below 8 at night so far here, and 13 odd is
not uncommon in the day. With the weather compensation on the new one,
I have seen it running flow temperatures as low as 32 on occasion.

I am still waiting for summer.

Got a feeling its going to be a long wait!

Still wearing short sleeved shirts ATM

What do you mean "at the moment?"

The only time I changed to long sleeves last winter was when working
outside all day. If I'd only been out there for an hour or two, I'd
still have been in short sleeves.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

Has anyone done the sums for gas system boiler/ electric immersion for
the summer?

I use my boiler (ancient cast iron lump with pilot light) for hot water
all year round, on timer twice a day with tankstat and plenty of
lagging, I have smart meters so monthly readings are accurate never
estimated, gas costs in July and August this year were 12.2kWh and
12.1kWh respectively.

Even at the 8.5p/kWh rate (for first 2680 kWh/year) I'm not going to
moan about £1/month for hot water!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 3 Oct 2012 21:33:03 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Gabriel wrote:

A pilot light is typically burning about 250W, continuously in your
case.

That much? Yeeps if I've got the maths right and 5p/kWhr for gas that's
over £100/year. Glad oil boliers have spark ignition...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 03 Oct 2012 22:56:31 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

I use my boiler (ancient cast iron lump with pilot light) for hot water
all year round, on timer twice a day with tankstat and plenty of
lagging, I have smart meters so monthly readings are accurate never
estimated, gas costs in July and August this year were 12.2kWh and
12.1kWh respectively.

Even at the 8.5p/kWh rate (for first 2680 kWh/year) I'm not going to
moan about £1/month for hot water!

I bet if you switched from the twice a day time switch to "on demand"
it'd make a noticable difference to the gas used. I found that out when
the mechancical time switch failed. Didn't immediatly replace it, I was
living on my own at the time and to heat the cylinder from stone cold was
only 30 mins or so. Just bung it on before I wanted a bath, it would be
hot again by the time I was finished to switch it off. The tank was well
lagged and would remain hot enough for washing up/washing for at least
48hrs.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

gas costs in July and August this year were 12.2kWh and
12.1kWh respectively.

I *thought* that sounded suspiciously low ...

Apparently when Eon's online energy tracker says

"July 2012 total consumption 12.21kWh"

what it actually means is

"July 2012 consumption 12.21kWh per day"

Still, allowing for discounts and excluding standing charge, the actual
gas cost is still only 37p/day.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Wed, 03 Oct 2012 22:56:31 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

I use my boiler (ancient cast iron lump with pilot light) for hot
water all year round, on timer twice a day with tankstat and plenty
of lagging

I bet if you switched from the twice a day time switch to "on demand"
it'd make a noticable difference to the gas used.

Even noting the correction from £1/month to 37p/day, I don't think ICBA.

I found that out when the mechancical time switch failed. Didn't
immediatly replace it, I was living on my own at the time and to heat
the cylinder from stone cold was only 30 mins or so.

I don't know how long the boiler runs for each day in summer, but I'd
guess it's about 1/4 hour morning and evening (I should hook-up a
monitoring script to the networked thermostat).

Just bung it on before I wanted a bath, it would be hot again by the
time I was finished to switch it off. The tank was well lagged and
would remain hot enough for washing up/washing for at least 48hrs.

But I don't want to get up half an hour before I want a shower ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/3/2012 5:58 PM, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 3 Oct 2012 21:33:03 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Gabriel wrote:

A pilot light is typically burning about 250W, continuously in your
case.

That much? Yeeps if I've got the maths right and 5p/kWhr for gas that's
over £100/year. Glad oil boliers have spark ignition...

My old one didn't - it was a Rayburn.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"djc" wrote in message
On 03/10/12 09:26, Arfa Daily wrote:

shaft with a screwdy to get it started - and much to my surprise, it ran
straight off. Fair bit of gurgling initially, but it quietened down and
all the rads got hot. It's a 30 y.o. Ideal Mexico, probably due for
replacement but hey, while it's still working ...

I replaced my Ideal Mexico five years ago. I never turned it off over the
summer as getting the pilot lighted again tended to be troublesome. After
it was replaced with a Worcester-Bosch whiich had no pilot light I
realised how much that pilot light was costing me over the summer months.

--
djc

Yes, it is a bit of a fierce one, but my boiler actually runs all summer, as
it provides my hot water. Did yours not ? As the room stat controls only the
circulation pump on that model, turning the stat all the way down is
effectively the same as setting the central heating function to "OFF" at the
controller.

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 02 Oct 2012 23:07:54 +0100, geoff wrote:

Wouldn't it ...

Fired the propane furnace up here a couple of weeks ago - it's been
getting cold at nights. I've not switched the electric baseboard heat
back on yet, but there's not a lot to go wrong with that :-)

Daytime temps have been warm - up around 60-70F. That's all going to
change tomorrow though, and we're supposed to get anything up to a foot
of snow now over the next couple of days :/

cheers

Jules
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Wed, 3 Oct 2012 21:33:03 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Gabriel wrote:

A pilot light is typically burning about 250W, continuously in your
case.

That much? Yeeps if I've got the maths right and 5p/kWhr for gas that's
over £100/year. Glad oil boliers have spark ignition...

Yes indeed. I got caught a few years ago when they changed my
meter. The old one didn't register the pilot light, being the
only usage over the summer. After the change I saw what it was
costing and turned it off for the summer.

I now have a condensing boiler with spark ignition, but the
replacement PCB, just after warranty expired, cost several years
energy saving.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK