Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bar Type Shower

Recent instal. This morning wife reported only a dribble. Took a look (at
shower) and found that turning it to cold got us a flow (of cold) but
turning it to hot reduced the flow of cold and we got no hot. Suspected a
blockage but there wasn't one.

Any ideas?

Eventually removed the bar - took control valve off end/ Thought some sort
of spool might be sticking so I gave it a good whack onto a bench.

It is now working. - But will it tomorrow??

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 6,
says...
Any ideas?

Do you live in a hard water area? Limescale is a possibility.

--
TOJ.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Other John wrote in news:MPG.384cd3d149947ef0989683
@news.aioe.org:

In article 6,
says...
Any ideas?

Do you live in a hard water area? Limescale is a possibility.

Not really and it was new in Sept.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2019 18:08:55, John wrote:
Recent instal. This morning wife reported only a dribble. Took a look (at
shower) and found that turning it to cold got us a flow (of cold) but
turning it to hot reduced the flow of cold and we got no hot. Suspected a
blockage but there wasn't one.

Any ideas?

Eventually removed the bar - took control valve off end/ Thought some sort
of spool might be sticking so I gave it a good whack onto a bench.

It is now working. - But will it tomorrow??

My experience is the shuttle driven by a wax-stat device gets stuck.

As delivered there is some grease, presume silicone, that aids movement,
but what I have noticed is a build-up of grime and loss of grease that
prevents movement. I also wonder if the O-ring shrinks and hangs onto
the shuttle.

I got a new cartridge so I have the old as a spare that I can rebuild.
On mine it comes out by undoing a hex grub screw on the under-side of
the bar. Saves a full dismantle!

The same happened to a combisave device I installed, where the return
spring wasn't man enough to return the shuttle valve back to the cold
position.