DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Bar Type Shower (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/642366-bar-type-shower.html)

John November 30th 19 06:08 PM

Bar Type Shower

Recent instal. This morning wife reported only a dribble. Took a look (at
shower) and found that turning it to cold got us a flow (of cold) but
turning it to hot reduced the flow of cold and we got no hot. Suspected a
blockage but there wasn't one.

Any ideas?

Eventually removed the bar - took control valve off end/ Thought some sort
of spool might be sticking so I gave it a good whack onto a bench.

It is now working. - But will it tomorrow??

The Other John[_4_] November 30th 19 07:30 PM

Bar Type Shower

In article 6,
says...
Any ideas?

Do you live in a hard water area? Limescale is a possibility.

--
TOJ.

newshound November 30th 19 07:37 PM

Bar Type Shower

On 30/11/2019 19:30, The Other John wrote:
In article 6,
says...
Any ideas?

Do you live in a hard water area? Limescale is a possibility.

Agreed.

Make? I've been amazed how reliable my non-thermostatic non-bar type has
been in hard Cotswold water (probably Screwfix). I believe it has
ceramic disks.

John November 30th 19 10:38 PM

Bar Type Shower

The Other John wrote in news:MPG.384cd3d149947ef0989683
@news.aioe.org:

In article 6,
says...
Any ideas?

Do you live in a hard water area? Limescale is a possibility.

Not really and it was new in Sept.

Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) December 1st 19 11:34 AM

Bar Type Shower

Perishing o ring, lime scale, other debris. Hard to say with no details of
the system.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
2.236...

Fredxx[_3_] December 1st 19 12:12 PM

Bar Type Shower

On 30/11/2019 18:08:55, John wrote:
Recent instal. This morning wife reported only a dribble. Took a look (at
shower) and found that turning it to cold got us a flow (of cold) but
turning it to hot reduced the flow of cold and we got no hot. Suspected a
blockage but there wasn't one.

Any ideas?

Eventually removed the bar - took control valve off end/ Thought some sort
of spool might be sticking so I gave it a good whack onto a bench.

It is now working. - But will it tomorrow??

My experience is the shuttle driven by a wax-stat device gets stuck.

As delivered there is some grease, presume silicone, that aids movement,
but what I have noticed is a build-up of grime and loss of grease that
prevents movement. I also wonder if the O-ring shrinks and hangs onto
the shuttle.

I got a new cartridge so I have the old as a spare that I can rebuild.
On mine it comes out by undoing a hex grub screw on the under-side of
the bar. Saves a full dismantle!

The same happened to a combisave device I installed, where the return
spring wasn't man enough to return the shuttle valve back to the cold
position.