Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default PIR question.

I am hoping to use a cheap PIR to monitor outdoor activity at night, but
the one I have appears to be too sensitive, it doesnt have the usual
adjustments so may try and block some of the lense range.
Anyhow I opened it up and there is a sensor and then an LED `bulb` which
comes on when activated. Is the LED light necessary for it to operate
as I would prefer it didnt light up if someone is snooping around my
back garden at night.

It is a wirless battery operated cheapo whereby the sensor is in the
garden and the receiver is wireless in the house.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ss" wrote in message
I am hoping to use a cheap PIR to monitor outdoor activity at night, but
the one I have appears to be too sensitive, it doesnt have the usual
adjustments so may try and block some of the lense range.
Anyhow I opened it up and there is a sensor and then an LED `bulb` which
comes on when activated. Is the LED light necessary for it to operate as
I would prefer it didnt light up if someone is snooping around my back
garden at night.

Dont think it is necessary and easy to try disconnecting it to prove that.

It is a wirless battery operated cheapo whereby the sensor is in the
garden and the receiver is wireless in the house.

Mine are zibgee but do need a base to communicate with.
Mine are the Hue motion sensors. I use them to turn the
lights on and off auto, but they are fine for outdoor
snooping activity too. Not cheap tho. Mine dont have
a let that comes on when movement is detected so
its unlikely that its necessary.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Nov 2019 01:23:38 +0000, ss wrote:

Anyhow I opened it up and there is a sensor and then an LED `bulb` which
comes on when activated. Is the LED light necessary for it to operate

Probably not but what does "... there is a sensor and then and LED
'bulb' ..." really mean? I read it that they are in series so simply
sniping a leg of the LED would stop it working.

However I suspect the sensor is connected across +v and gnd with an
out put that goes high for a second or two when triggered. The LED is
between output and ground, possibly via a resistor, sniping a leg in
this case will just disable the LED.

Think I'd have a switch of some sort (twisted wires...) so the LED
can be enabled to facilitate a walk test. Though if the Rx is battery
powered you could just carry that.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I would check your receiver on our wireless alarm the panel illuminates each time a sensor is activated wether armed or not, so a useful way of checking it is working or if the battery is flat. Other than that without the led in the PIR you have no quick way of telling. I only have a PIR in the garage but find it reassuring to see it flash each time I enter the garage. As for intruders seeing it I think few will even notice unless looking directly at it. You are more aware because you know it is there.

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/11/2019 01:23, ss wrote:
I am hoping to use a cheap PIR to monitor outdoor activity at night, but
the one I have appears to be too sensitive, it doesnt have the usual
adjustments so may try and block some of the lense range.
Anyhow I opened it up and there is a sensor and then an LED `bulb` which
comes on when activated.Â* Is the LED light necessary for it to operate
as I would prefer it didnt light up if someone is snooping around my
back garden at night.

No the LED is to indicate the thing has triggered. A spot of black paint
will stop it being visible whilst retaining whatever IP rating it has.

Be aware that it will trigger on spider inside or bats flying close to
the sensor as well as rats, cats, foxes and badgers at increasing range.

It is a wirless battery operated cheapo whereby the sensor is in the
garden and the receiver is wireless in the house.

A wildlife PIR triggered camera might be more useful for your
application - that way you have some video of the scrotes.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Fri, 29 Nov 2019 12:37:05 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Don¢t think

Yep, you troll, you sleepless, senile troll!

cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Nov 2019 08:51:16 +0000, Martin Brown
wrote:

snip

A wildlife PIR triggered camera might be more useful for your
application - that way you have some video of the scrotes.

I was going to investigate a(n invisible?) break-beam sort of device
that could be set higher than most ground dwelling creatures and below
the typical flight line of a bird. That connected to a GSM SMS dialler
so that I can 1) remotely view the CCTV then 2) potentially call the
Police.

Nothing the Police like to know better than the scrotes are still on
the scene. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:

I was going to investigate a(n invisible?) break-beam sort of device
that could be set higher than most ground dwelling creatures and below
the typical flight line of a bird.

dual (modulated) beams are supposed to be best for least false triggering.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Nov 2019 10:34:48 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

T i m wrote:

I was going to investigate a(n invisible?) break-beam sort of device
that could be set higher than most ground dwelling creatures and below
the typical flight line of a bird.

dual (modulated) beams are supposed to be best for least false triggering.

Funnily enough, that's the sort of thing I built for BIL's
Arduino-automated Model Railway project, the sort that wouldn't be
'confused' if the were in view of another transmitter etc.

It's just that they were for very short distances, not sure if they
would cope over 5m or so (especially if reflecting from the other
end)?

I have seen such used across driveways where people might regularly
use them to turn round (near a school possibly) where they make an
audible alarm to indicate to people 'I know what you are doing'.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 29 November 2019 01:23:48 UTC, ss wrote:
I am hoping to use a cheap PIR to monitor outdoor activity at night, but
the one I have appears to be too sensitive, it doesnt have the usual
adjustments so may try and block some of the lense range.
Anyhow I opened it up and there is a sensor and then an LED `bulb` which
comes on when activated. Is the LED light necessary for it to operate
as I would prefer it didnt light up if someone is snooping around my
back garden at night.

I'd just stick a bit of blu-tak over it and try it out.

The sensor might be triggering via daylight, as xmas is coming you'll probbly have plenty of quality st./roses semi-transparent sweet wrappers you can use to cover the sensor to make it less sensative.

It is a wirless battery operated cheapo whereby the sensor is in the
garden and the receiver is wireless in the house.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 29 Nov 2019 08:51:16 +0000, Martin Brown
wrote:

snip

A wildlife PIR triggered camera might be more useful for your
application - that way you have some video of the scrotes.

I was going to investigate a(n invisible?) break-beam sort
of device that could be set higher than most ground
dwelling creatures and below the typical flight line of a bird.

Wouldn't work here, lots of birds zoom thru my trees at well
below human head height. Amazing how well the manage
to avoid crashing into anything at the speed the zoom thru.

That connected to a GSM SMS dialler so that I can
1) remotely view the CCTV then 2) potentially call the Police.

Yeah, that's what I'd have.

Nothing the Police like to know better
than the scrotes are still on the scene. ;-)

Yep.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 03:09 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for FOR ONE HOUR already!!!! LOL

On Sat, 30 Nov 2019 03:09:19 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH troll****

03:09? And you've been up and trolling for AN HOUR, YET AGAIN! Just what the
**** is WRONG with you, you abnormal senile pest?

cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 29/11/2019 16:09, Rod Speed wrote:
I was going to investigate a(n invisible?) break-beam sort
of device that could be set higher than most ground
dwelling creatures

Thats sort of what I am trying to achieve using the PIR.
In the back yard a want to cover the area if someone gets close to my
patio or widows and at the front when someone comes down the path I get
a ding dong from the receiver in house. So narrow cover would be ideal.

At the moment I have tried blocking areas of the lense with strips of
insulating tape but I keep getting random soundings and I know nothing
is out there to set it off.

I have no electronic knowledge which is not helping. There are more
expensive `systems` on the market but I dont want to invest if it aint
going to work.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 04:03 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for THREE HOURS already!!!! LOL

On Mon, 2 Dec 2019 04:03:41 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the clinically insane trolling senile asshole's latest troll****
unread

04:03 ????????? LMAO Seems "Bod" was right about you, after all (check sig)!

--
Bod addressing senile Rot:
"Rod, you have a sick twisted mind. I suggest you stop your mindless
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/11/2019 20:54, ss wrote:
On 29/11/2019 16:09, Rod Speed wrote:
I was going to investigate a(n invisible?) break-beam sort
of device that could be set higher than most ground
dwelling creatures

Thats sort of what I amÂ* trying to achieve using the PIR.
In the back yard a want to cover the area if someone gets close to my
patio or widows and at the front when someone comes down the path I get
a ding dong from the receiver in house. So narrow cover would be ideal.

At the moment I have tried blocking areas of the lense with strips of
insulating tape but I keep getting random soundings and I know nothing
is out there to set it off.

I have no electronic knowledge which is not helping.Â* There are more
expensive `systems` on the market but I dont want to invest if it aint
going to work.

Some years ago, I found that black insulation tape was transparent to
infra-red and so it will likely have no effect.

We had two Sky boxes that were piped around the house, but they had to
be physically in the same room. The boxes could not be set to different
codes (although the remotes could) and the solution was to blank off the
IR receiver of one and connect a translating "eye" to it's aerial
socket. The eye received the alternate code set from the second remote
and translated them to the ones the box could receive, but sent in via
the aerial socket.

To block the IR signal, I had to wrap the sensor inside the box, behind
a window, in aluminium foil, held on with tape, as tape alone had no effect.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 29 November 2019 16:09:29 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"T i m" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 29 Nov 2019 08:51:16 +0000, Martin Brown
wrote:

snip

A wildlife PIR triggered camera might be more useful for your
application - that way you have some video of the scrotes.

I was going to investigate a(n invisible?) break-beam sort
of device that could be set higher than most ground
dwelling creatures and below the typical flight line of a bird.

Wouldn't work here, lots of birds zoom thru my trees at well
below human head height. Amazing how well the manage
to avoid crashing into anything at the speed the zoom thru.

As I found with my cat came many critters can cross such beams I had quite a few months, perhaps attracted by the dull red glow of the IR LEDs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O32lQ_FGwdQ

There was even a programme on TV about some strange 'invisible' creatures
that some explorer found, strange long creatures that were filmed at night in some far flung country, I had them in walthamstow too. They claimed they were up to 9ft long, but I think that was because they were close to the lens and just looked larger. I even had a spider make a web over the lens.

Leaves blowing from trees could also set such a thing off.
Bats too, I'm betting there;s a posibility that T i m has plenty of bats in his belfry ;-)

That connected to a GSM SMS dialler so that I can
1) remotely view the CCTV then 2) potentially call the Police.

Yeah, that's what I'd have.

Nothing the Police like to know better
than the scrotes are still on the scene. ;-)

Yep.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 03:30 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard is out of Bed and TROLLING, already!!!! LOL

That clinically insane sleepless senile idiot does it EVERY NIGHT!!! Gets up
between 1 and 4 am in Australia, logs in and starts with his trolling! I
know it's unbelievable, but it's a FACT! LOL

--
Bod addressing senile Rot:
"Rod, you have a sick twisted mind. I suggest you stop your mindless
and totally irresponsible talk. Your mouth could get you into a lot of
trouble."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/11/2019 20:54, ss wrote:
On 29/11/2019 16:09, Rod Speed wrote:
I was going to investigate a(n invisible?) break-beam sort
of device that could be set higher than most ground
dwelling creatures

Thats sort of what I amÂ* trying to achieve using the PIR.
In the back yard a want to cover the area if someone gets close to my
patio or widows and at the front when someone comes down the path I get
a ding dong from the receiver in house. So narrow cover would be ideal.

At the moment I have tried blocking areas of the lense with strips of
insulating tape but I keep getting random soundings and I know nothing
is out there to set it off.

Plastic tape is no use. Try foil tape that will stop thermal IR.

A small cone of foil small end facing outwards will allow you to limit
the sensitive field of view, but limit it too much and the differential
motion detection will probably fail.

I have no electronic knowledge which is not helping.Â* There are more
expensive `systems` on the market but I dont want to invest if it aint
going to work.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 2 December 2019 16:30:17 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
T i m wrote
Martin Brown
wrote

A wildlife PIR triggered camera might be more useful for your
application - that way you have some video of the scrotes.

I was going to investigate a(n invisible?) break-beam
sort of device that could be set higher than most ground
dwelling creatures and below the typical flight line of a bird.

Wouldn't work here, lots of birds zoom thru my trees at well
below human head height. Amazing how well they manage
to avoid crashing into anything at the speed they zoom thru.

As I found with my cat came many critters can cross
such beams I had quite a few months, perhaps attracted
by the dull red glow of the IR LEDs.

But it is possible to get hybrid radar/PIRs that can
distinguish between cats and people by body mass.

Not they don't they just use the amount of IR refected and where the reflection comes from.

I dont currently have any outside the house,

why not ?

trying to
keep them inside the house looking out thru the 13
patio doors, but that means you can't use PIRs.

I know.

Yeah, we have what we call flying foxes which
are a bat. Mate of mine noticed them in my
trees. I had only noticed the birds and cats.

I'm betting there;s a posibility that
T i m has plenty of bats in his belfry ;-)

But which side of the belfry ?

A good question, that only he'll know the answer to.

That connected to a GSM SMS dialler so that I can
1) remotely view the CCTV then 2) potentially call the Police.

Yeah, that's what I'd have.

Nothing the Police like to know better
than the scrotes are still on the scene. ;-)

Yep.

Couple of stupid kids tried my main patio door
that is the front door with me not being visible.
I bailed them up and they were stupid enough
to try bluffing that they were checking that I
had managed to forget to lock it and were
going to lock it for me if I had forgot.

Called the cops and they were silly enough
to hang around waiting for the cops. The
cop who was well known to me came tearing
around the side of the house with his long
baton in hand.

Now there's a novelty

He/s built like a brick ****
house. The kids nearly died of fright.

Nice one that the way to do it.

That was after I had deliberately hidden in
the house and had left the car streets away
and grabbed the perp when he was inside
the house and called the cops. That cop had
been the police prosecutor for the first time
and had assumed it was one of those again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
[...]

Thats just one way of doing it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion...sor_technology

I dont currently have any outside the house,

why not ?

Too easy to steal. I prefer the more capable movement
sensors that are a lot more programmable on what to
do time of day and what has happened recently wise.
Those arent cheap and are pretty easy to steal.

trying to keep them inside the house looking out thru
the 13 patio doors, but that means you can't use PIRs.

Yeah, we have what we call flying foxes which
are a bat. Mate of mine noticed them in my
trees. I had only noticed the birds and cats.

I'm betting there;s a posibility that
T i m has plenty of bats in his belfry ;-)

But which side of the belfry ?

A good question, that only he'll know the answer to.

No evidence that he knows anything about anything.

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 4 Dec 2019 02:22:20 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senile asshole's latest troll**** unread

02:22??? LOL And you've been up and trolling for HOW long already, you
abnormal senile pest?

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 3 December 2019 15:27:06 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
[...]

yes that is the way PIR works the clues in the name.

I dont currently have any outside the house,

why not ?

Too easy to steal.

So you have an alarm system that is to easy to steal, well that's great isn't it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Pity about the hybrids. And thats what
the best of the pet immune ones are.

I dont currently have any outside the house,

why not ?

Too easy to steal.

So you have an alarm system that is to easy to steal,

Nope, I use surveillance cameras inside the house looking
out the patio doors which are much harder to steal.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 03:54 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for almost TWO HOURS already!!!! LOL

On Wed, 4 Dec 2019 03:54:19 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the abnormal senile asshole's usual troll****

03:54??? LMAO So, how many hours a day do you actually sleep, you subnormal,
clinically insane, senile pest? LOL

--
addressing nym-shifting senile Rodent:
"You on the other hand are a heavyweight bull****ter who demonstrates
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/12/2019 11:24, whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

Some do, but our "pet-safe" sensors use both PIR and microwave and
require both to be triggered.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 3 December 2019 16:54:32 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
[...]

Pity about the hybrids.

They aren;t just called PIR then.

And thats what
the best of the pet immune ones are.

So why not get one of those for outside afraid the local cat will nick it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 4 December 2019 00:06:28 UTC, Steve Walker wrote:
[...]

But they aren't just PIR ones, you could have lookouts on gun towers too.
But there's ways around them too.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Plenty of them are.

And thats what the best of the pet immune ones are.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 5 Dec 2019 04:10:27 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH yet more troll****

04:10? AGAIN? Is your loneliness not letting you sleep in again, senile
moron? LOL

--
addressing nym-shifting senile Rodent:
"You on the other hand are a heavyweight bull****ter who demonstrates
your particular prowess at it every day."
MID:

Installing PIR security lights on a timber-faced house - electrical cabling question Shug UK diy 2 November 16th 07 10:41 PM
Wiring question - interior lighting - PIR-activated Allen UK diy 9 December 11th 03 09:59 PM
PIR switch needed Bob Minchin UK diy 2 November 13th 03 08:51 PM
PIR detectors in Parallel Richard Savage UK diy 20 October 27th 03 10:34 AM
PIR Sensor in a Conservatory Tim Mitchell UK diy 4 September 12th 03 06:28 PM