Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default PIR question.

"ss" wrote in message
I am hoping to use a cheap PIR to monitor outdoor activity at night, but
the one I have appears to be too sensitive, it doesnt have the usual
adjustments so may try and block some of the lense range.
Anyhow I opened it up and there is a sensor and then an LED `bulb` which
comes on when activated. Is the LED light necessary for it to operate as
I would prefer it didnt light up if someone is snooping around my back
garden at night.

Dont think it is necessary and easy to try disconnecting it to prove that.

It is a wirless battery operated cheapo whereby the sensor is in the
garden and the receiver is wireless in the house.

Mine are zibgee but do need a base to communicate with.
Mine are the Hue motion sensors. I use them to turn the
lights on and off auto, but they are fine for outdoor
snooping activity too. Not cheap tho. Mine dont have
a let that comes on when movement is detected so
its unlikely that its necessary.