Posted to uk.d-i-y
Terry Casey Terry Casey is offline

Default PIR question.

In article ,
says...

Thats sort of what I am trying to achieve using the PIR.
In the back yard a want to cover the area if someone gets close to my
patio or widows and at the front when someone comes down the path I get
a ding dong from the receiver in house. So narrow cover would be ideal.

At the moment I have tried blocking areas of the lense with strips of
insulating tape but I keep getting random soundings and I know nothing
is out there to set it off.

If the detector lens uniformly sdcatters the field of view you
would have to blank off all of it! So obviously not a valid
option.

The detector should have a wide horizontal field of view and a
narrow vertical one, so while not rotate it 90 degrees?

Another possible method is to fit parallel deflector plates
protruding forward from the detector. Only the area 'visible'
to the director will be covered. Adjust how far in front the
plates need to project to get the required field of view
(which doesn't have to be symetrical).

--

Terry