Old November 10th 19, 02:04 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Unusual RCD tripping by tumble drier

Last year we had a problem with our 5-year old Beko tripping the RCD
when it was turned on (NB it had been modified during a recall shortly
after we bought it). It only did it on that one day and has been fine since.

A month ago it ran through its drying cycle with no problem, and beeped
that it had finished. We removed the dry washing, and took it away. When
we returned a couple of minutes later, we found the RCD had tripped.
This has occurred twice again - the dryer is fine working, but trips the
RCD as it cools down. Once cool, it seems ok and can be used again.

I'll have a look inside to see if there's anything obvious, but has
anyone heard of a fault which behaves this way?

It may be time for a new drier, but I'm intrigued as to what this one is
doing.

--

Jeff

Old November 10th 19, 02:40 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/11/2019 13:04, Jeff Layman wrote:
Last year we had a problem with our 5-year old Beko tripping the RCD
when it was turned on (NB it had been modified during a recall shortly
after we bought it). It only did it on that one day and has been fine
since.

A month ago it ran through its drying cycle with no problem, and beeped
that it had finished. We removed the dry washing, and took it away. When
we returned a couple of minutes later, we found the RCD had tripped.
This has occurred twice again - the dryer is fine working, but trips the
RCD as it cools down. Once cool, it seems ok and can be used again.

I have seen this sort of fault the other way around with failing kettles
where there is an initial RCD fail when used from cold but the thing
will then work for a good while after you have reset the breaker.

Eventually it fails completely and never recovers.

I'll have a look inside to see if there's anything obvious, but has
anyone heard of a fault which behaves this way?

My guess would be condensation getting somewhere that it can provide an
earth leakage path.

It may be time for a new drier, but I'm intrigued as to what this one is
doing.

Can you measure resistance (when unplugged) from live to earth and
detect any difference in the failed state?

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old November 10th 19, 03:12 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/11/19 13:40, Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

Yes, that could be it. But it would have to be pretty early on in the
circuitry, as it still trips when the on-off push switch is "out". I
guess it could just be a "false" physical break, and it's really an
electronic circuit break which still leaves some connection even after
switching off. It might be obvious when I have a look inside.

It may be time for a new drier, but I'm intrigued as to what this one is
doing.

Can you measure resistance (when unplugged) from live to earth and

That was one thing I was going to try, but I wondered if it might need a
decent voltage (although not quite up to Megger standard!) to see if
there was any breakdown.

--

Jeff
Old November 10th 19, 05:19 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Nov 2019 14:12:40 +0000, Jeff Layman
wrote:

Yes, that could be it. But it would have to be pretty early on in the
circuitry, as it still trips when the on-off push switch is "out". I
guess it could just be a "false" physical break, and it's really an
electronic circuit break which still leaves some connection even after
switching off. It might be obvious when I have a look inside.

Faulty mains filter capacitor allowing small leakage to earth?

Old November 10th 19, 08:17 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd not imagine it would myself. Once this odd thing, was caused by a
spider, literally in the connection block to part of the machine. That was a
Whirlpool and there had been a tiny crack in the cover that had widened and
the critter got in that way.
Strange things occur with domestic appliances sometimes. sigh.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Old November 10th 19, 08:19 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes but that should not be affected by humidity or temperature. Back many
years ago a certain model of Wima capacitors had this odd trait when the
sealing plastic shrunk and left a tiny void around the wires.
Brian

--
----- --

Old November 10th 19, 08:35 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 10 November 2019 13:04:53 UTC, Jeff Layman wrote:
Last year we had a problem with our 5-year old Beko tripping the RCD
when it was turned on (NB it had been modified during a recall shortly
after we bought it). It only did it on that one day and has been fine since.

A month ago it ran through its drying cycle with no problem, and beeped
that it had finished. We removed the dry washing, and took it away. When
we returned a couple of minutes later, we found the RCD had tripped.
This has occurred twice again - the dryer is fine working, but trips the
RCD as it cools down. Once cool, it seems ok and can be used again.

I'll have a look inside to see if there's anything obvious, but has
anyone heard of a fault which behaves this way?

It may be time for a new drier, but I'm intrigued as to what this one is
doing.

Or it may be time for you to test it. Try the element first, it's suspect no 1.

NT
Old November 11th 19, 10:04 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/11/2019 14:12, Jeff Layman wrote:
[...]

I spent some time chasing an earth leakage fault in someone's cooker
once - in the end I had eliminated all of the internal components, and
found the fault was moisture in the mains plug!

--
Cheers,

John.

Old November 11th 19, 10:42 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Nov 2019 14:12:40 +0000, Jeff Layman
wrote:

snip

Yes, that could be it. But it would have to be pretty early on in the
circuitry, as it still trips when the on-off push switch is "out".

If not before the switch, I wonder it's only a single pole switch as
if it was (I'm not sure if it's 'allowed' to be) it could still be a
neutral to earth leak past it?

guess it could just be a "false" physical break, and it's really an
electronic circuit break which still leaves some connection even after
switching off. It might be obvious when I have a look inside.

In our case is was carbon buildup on the (WM) motor brushes causing a
N-E leak (and would trip the RCD with the power switched off at the
socket but on on the WM).

It may be time for a new drier, but I'm intrigued as to what this one is
doing.

Can you measure resistance (when unplugged) from live to earth and

That was one thing I was going to try, but I wondered if it might need a
decent voltage (although not quite up to Megger standard!) to see if
there was any breakdown.

I think our fault was quite measurable with my DMM and was seen to be
cleared once I'd brushed / blown all the carbon out. The WM then
carried on until the main bearing went again.

Cheers, T i m

Old November 11th 19, 10:51 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/11/2019 13:04, Jeff Layman wrote:
Last year we had a problem with our 5-year old Beko tripping the RCD
when it was turned on (NB it had been modified during a recall shortly
after we bought it). It only did it on that one day and has been fine
since.

A month ago it ran through its drying cycle with no problem, and beeped
that it had finished. We removed the dry washing, and took it away. When
we returned a couple of minutes later, we found the RCD had tripped.
This has occurred twice again - the dryer is fine working, but trips the
RCD as it cools down. Once cool, it seems ok and can be used again.

I'll have a look inside to see if there's anything obvious, but has
anyone heard of a fault which behaves this way?

It may be time for a new drier, but I'm intrigued as to what this one is
doing.

The Guardian in daily mail mode...

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...k-recall-blaze

--
Adrian C

Tumble Drier Tripping RCD TheChief UK diy 20 August 27th 18 03:10 PM
Tumble drier is tripping the RCD switch [email protected] UK diy 1 January 9th 07 03:44 PM
Tumble Dryer Tripping RCD Tut UK diy 10 October 3rd 06 01:49 PM
Bosch Tumble Drier keeps tripping heater cut out RzB UK diy 14 January 12th 06 07:15 PM
Indesit wdg1295w washer/drier tripping RCD on final fast spin spanner UK diy 6 February 6th 04 11:08 AM