Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Unusual RCD tripping by tumble drier

Last year we had a problem with our 5-year old Beko tripping the RCD
when it was turned on (NB it had been modified during a recall shortly
after we bought it). It only did it on that one day and has been fine since.

A month ago it ran through its drying cycle with no problem, and beeped
that it had finished. We removed the dry washing, and took it away. When
we returned a couple of minutes later, we found the RCD had tripped.
This has occurred twice again - the dryer is fine working, but trips the
RCD as it cools down. Once cool, it seems ok and can be used again.

I'll have a look inside to see if there's anything obvious, but has
anyone heard of a fault which behaves this way?

It may be time for a new drier, but I'm intrigued as to what this one is
doing.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/11/2019 13:04, Jeff Layman wrote:
Last year we had a problem with our 5-year old Beko tripping the RCD
when it was turned on (NB it had been modified during a recall shortly
after we bought it). It only did it on that one day and has been fine
since.

A month ago it ran through its drying cycle with no problem, and beeped
that it had finished. We removed the dry washing, and took it away. When
we returned a couple of minutes later, we found the RCD had tripped.
This has occurred twice again - the dryer is fine working, but trips the
RCD as it cools down. Once cool, it seems ok and can be used again.

I have seen this sort of fault the other way around with failing kettles
where there is an initial RCD fail when used from cold but the thing
will then work for a good while after you have reset the breaker.

Eventually it fails completely and never recovers.

I'll have a look inside to see if there's anything obvious, but has
anyone heard of a fault which behaves this way?

My guess would be condensation getting somewhere that it can provide an
earth leakage path.

It may be time for a new drier, but I'm intrigued as to what this one is
doing.

Can you measure resistance (when unplugged) from live to earth and
detect any difference in the failed state?

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/11/19 13:40, Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

Yes, that could be it. But it would have to be pretty early on in the
circuitry, as it still trips when the on-off push switch is "out". I
guess it could just be a "false" physical break, and it's really an
electronic circuit break which still leaves some connection even after
switching off. It might be obvious when I have a look inside.

It may be time for a new drier, but I'm intrigued as to what this one is
doing.

Can you measure resistance (when unplugged) from live to earth and

That was one thing I was going to try, but I wondered if it might need a
decent voltage (although not quite up to Megger standard!) to see if
there was any breakdown.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Nov 2019 14:12:40 +0000, Jeff Layman
wrote:

Yes, that could be it. But it would have to be pretty early on in the
circuitry, as it still trips when the on-off push switch is "out". I
guess it could just be a "false" physical break, and it's really an
electronic circuit break which still leaves some connection even after
switching off. It might be obvious when I have a look inside.

Faulty mains filter capacitor allowing small leakage to earth?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd not imagine it would myself. Once this odd thing, was caused by a
spider, literally in the connection block to part of the machine. That was a
Whirlpool and there had been a tiny crack in the cover that had widened and
the critter got in that way.
Strange things occur with domestic appliances sometimes. sigh.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes but that should not be affected by humidity or temperature. Back many
years ago a certain model of Wima capacitors had this odd trait when the
sealing plastic shrunk and left a tiny void around the wires.
Brian

--
----- --

wrote:

Yes, that could be it. But it would have to be pretty early on in the
circuitry, as it still trips when the on-off push switch is "out". I
guess it could just be a "false" physical break, and it's really an
electronic circuit break which still leaves some connection even after
switching off. It might be obvious when I have a look inside.

Faulty mains filter capacitor allowing small leakage to earth?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 10 November 2019 13:04:53 UTC, Jeff Layman wrote:
Last year we had a problem with our 5-year old Beko tripping the RCD
when it was turned on (NB it had been modified during a recall shortly
after we bought it). It only did it on that one day and has been fine since.

A month ago it ran through its drying cycle with no problem, and beeped
that it had finished. We removed the dry washing, and took it away. When
we returned a couple of minutes later, we found the RCD had tripped.
This has occurred twice again - the dryer is fine working, but trips the
RCD as it cools down. Once cool, it seems ok and can be used again.

I'll have a look inside to see if there's anything obvious, but has
anyone heard of a fault which behaves this way?

It may be time for a new drier, but I'm intrigued as to what this one is
doing.

Or it may be time for you to test it. Try the element first, it's suspect no 1.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/11/2019 14:12, Jeff Layman wrote:
[...]

I spent some time chasing an earth leakage fault in someone's cooker
once - in the end I had eliminated all of the internal components, and
found the fault was moisture in the mains plug!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Nov 2019 14:12:40 +0000, Jeff Layman
wrote:

snip

Yes, that could be it. But it would have to be pretty early on in the
circuitry, as it still trips when the on-off push switch is "out".

If not before the switch, I wonder it's only a single pole switch as
if it was (I'm not sure if it's 'allowed' to be) it could still be a
neutral to earth leak past it?

guess it could just be a "false" physical break, and it's really an
electronic circuit break which still leaves some connection even after
switching off. It might be obvious when I have a look inside.

In our case is was carbon buildup on the (WM) motor brushes causing a
N-E leak (and would trip the RCD with the power switched off at the
socket but on on the WM).

It may be time for a new drier, but I'm intrigued as to what this one is
doing.

Can you measure resistance (when unplugged) from live to earth and

That was one thing I was going to try, but I wondered if it might need a
decent voltage (although not quite up to Megger standard!) to see if
there was any breakdown.

I think our fault was quite measurable with my DMM and was seen to be
cleared once I'd brushed / blown all the carbon out. The WM then
carried on until the main bearing went again.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/11/2019 13:04, Jeff Layman wrote:
Last year we had a problem with our 5-year old Beko tripping the RCD
when it was turned on (NB it had been modified during a recall shortly
after we bought it). It only did it on that one day and has been fine
since.

A month ago it ran through its drying cycle with no problem, and beeped
that it had finished. We removed the dry washing, and took it away. When
we returned a couple of minutes later, we found the RCD had tripped.
This has occurred twice again - the dryer is fine working, but trips the
RCD as it cools down. Once cool, it seems ok and can be used again.

I'll have a look inside to see if there's anything obvious, but has
anyone heard of a fault which behaves this way?

It may be time for a new drier, but I'm intrigued as to what this one is
doing.

The Guardian in daily mail mode...

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...k-recall-blaze

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Unusual RCD tripping by tumble drier - update

On 10/11/19 13:04, Jeff Layman wrote:
Last year we had a problem with our 5-year old Beko tripping the RCD
when it was turned on (NB it had been modified during a recall shortly
after we bought it). It only did it on that one day and has been fine since.

A month ago it ran through its drying cycle with no problem, and beeped
that it had finished. We removed the dry washing, and took it away. When
we returned a couple of minutes later, we found the RCD had tripped.
This has occurred twice again - the dryer is fine working, but trips the
RCD as it cools down. Once cool, it seems ok and can be used again.

I'll have a look inside to see if there's anything obvious, but has
anyone heard of a fault which behaves this way?

It may be time for a new drier, but I'm intrigued as to what this one is
doing.

I had a look inside, and the only part before the mains switch
(double-pole, by the way) is the interference filter. It was a little
sticky to touch, and might have leaked some of the potting, but it was
difficult to tell. I removed it, and found it was marked:
D.E.M. F£CF75005t
0.15uF (X1) + 1Mohm
2 x 0.027uF (Y2)
250V 50/60Hz 16A/40degC
HMF 25/100/21C

There is a diagram too showing a 0.15uF + 1Mohm across the mains, and
0.027uF caps from live and neutral to earth.

With a multimeter it read 1Mohm across Live - Neutral. Live - earth and
neutral - earth read open circuit (took a few seconds to get there at
20M range as the caps charged. Test voltage is only 0.3V). It was, of
course, not possible to check the 0.15uF capacitor. On the capacitance
range, Live - earth read 0.048uF, and neutral - earth 0.067uF.

It looked cheap enough to replace anyway, but:
https://www.bekospares.co.uk/tumble-dryer/dcu7230w-7182681500/interference-filter/product.pl?pid=4824596&path=634351&model_ref=98543 2
No alternative listed, either.

Similar results at Partmaster (and other identical sites - do they all
get them from Beko anyway?!), and others don't list it at all. It is
available on eBay as a "genuine Beko part", but why there and not at
other sites? I'll do a bit more checking on alternative interference
filters, even if a small modification is required, as I'm not happy
using an identical part which might be dodgy.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Nov 2019 11:27:11 +0000, Jeff Layman
wrote:

Similar results at Partmaster (and other identical sites - do they all
get them from Beko anyway?!), and others don't list it at all. It is
available on eBay as a "genuine Beko part", but why there and not at
other sites? I'll do a bit more checking on alternative interference
filters, even if a small modification is required, as I'm not happy
using an identical part which might be dodgy.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beko-Washin.../dp/B00GV7RQYY

http://shop.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/d5283...ference-filter

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beko-Washin.../dp/B00KG802L8

These are not really type or manufacturer specific except for how some
make the earth connect to the machine. Some do it via a flying lead
and Lucar connector, others do it by a bolt through a small mounting
plate. They are not an item which fails frequently.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jeff Layman wrote:

It looked cheap enough to replace anyway, but:
https://www.bekospares.co.uk/tumble-dryer/dcu7230w-7182681500/interference-filter/product.pl?pid=4824596&path=634351&model_ref=98543 2

No alternative listed, either.

what about this

https://www.bekospares.co.uk/interference-filter/product.pl?pid=2058184

looks physically the same, same value/type of C and R
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Similar results at Partmaster (and other identical sites - do they all
get them from Beko anyway?!), and others don't list it at all. It is
available on eBay as a "genuine Beko part", but why there and not at
other sites? I'll do a bit more checking on alternative interference
filters, even if a small modification is required, as I'm not happy
using an identical part which might be dodgy.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beko-Washin.../dp/B00GV7RQYY

http://shop.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/d5283...ference-filter

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beko-Washin.../dp/B00KG802L8

Thanks for the suggestions, but I really need one with 6 terminals for
connection. I'll probably go with the one Andy suggested. I'd seen it
while going through the options on the Beko site, but at that time was
still looking for an original to replace that already fitted.

These are not really type or manufacturer specific except for how some
make the earth connect to the machine. Some do it via a flying lead
and Lucar connector, others do it by a bolt through a small mounting
plate. They are not an item which fails frequently.

Maybe not, but evidently they can go with a bang according to some
reviews I have seen!

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/19 11:51, Andy Burns wrote:
Jeff Layman wrote:

It looked cheap enough to replace anyway, but:
https://www.bekospares.co.uk/tumble-dryer/dcu7230w-7182681500/interference-filter/product.pl?pid=4824596&path=634351&model_ref=98543 2

No alternative listed, either.

what about this

https://www.bekospares.co.uk/interference-filter/product.pl?pid=2058184

looks physically the same, same value/type of C and R

I'll probably go with that design. I found this one on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beko-Belling-Dishwasher-Interference-1886870100/dp/B00KNY76PA/ref=sr_1_10?crid=GO4GL05W82SM&keywords=interferenc e+filter&qid=1573475439&s=appliances&sprefix=inter ference+filter%2Cappliances%2C188&sr=1-10

That looks Identical to mine, but a quick look at the reviews might
explain why Beko no longer supply it!

--

Jeff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Nov 2019 12:27:56 +0000, Jeff Layman
wrote:

On 11/11/19 11:47, Peter Parry wrote:

These are not really type or manufacturer specific except for how some
make the earth connect to the machine. Some do it via a flying lead
and Lucar connector, others do it by a bolt through a small mounting
plate. They are not an item which fails frequently.

Maybe not, but evidently they can go with a bang according to some
reviews I have seen!

Y or X/Y class capacitors (used in the filter for line to earth
filitering) are required to fail open circuit so there is no chance of
them creating a live-earth path. X rated capacitors As they are in a
sealed aluminium or plastic can the gasses produced by some failure
modes can cause the case to rupture with interesting sound effects. X
rated capacitors must not support combustion so there in no fire risk
even if they make smoke.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 11 November 2019 11:27:15 UTC, Jeff Layman wrote:
[...]

Your machine will work fine without it. Any brand is fine as a replacement. The values aren't critical.

NT

Tumble Drier Tripping RCD TheChief UK diy 20 August 27th 18 02:10 PM
Tumble drier is tripping the RCD switch [email protected] UK diy 1 January 9th 07 02:44 PM
Tumble Dryer Tripping RCD Tut UK diy 10 October 3rd 06 12:49 PM
Bosch Tumble Drier keeps tripping heater cut out RzB UK diy 14 January 12th 06 06:15 PM
Indesit wdg1295w washer/drier tripping RCD on final fast spin spanner UK diy 6 February 6th 04 10:08 AM