Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tumble Drier Tripping RCD

TheChief wrote

Hi guys

Didn't he get hanged for trying to blow up Westminster or something ?

Anyone give me a clue why my Bosch condensing
drier might be tripping the RCD on our ring mains?

Most likely the heating element has failed.

What with the phone line going awol and
the drier issue, it's not the relaxing do nothing
weekend I was looking forward to so far.

You were warned about the consequences of all that
drunken dancing on graves. You wouldn't listen...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi guys

Anyone give me a clue why my Bosch condensing drier might be
tripping the RCD on our ring mains?

What with the phone line going awol and the drier issue, it's not
the relaxing do nothing weekend I was looking forward to so
far.

Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheChief formulated the question :
Hi guys

Anyone give me a clue why my Bosch condensing drier might be
tripping the RCD on our ring mains?

What with the phone line going awol and the drier issue, it's not
the relaxing do nothing weekend I was looking forward to so
far.

Most often, the heating element with a leakage to earth.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 25 Aug 2018 20:31:50 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

TheChief formulated the question :
Hi guys

Anyone give me a clue why my Bosch condensing drier might be
tripping the RCD on our ring mains?

What with the phone line going awol and the drier issue, it's not
the relaxing do nothing weekend I was looking forward to so
far.

Not a problem at all,

Assuming the plug is the old type, remove screw and cover. Remove
green & yellow cable, insulate copper. Replace cover.

Surround tumble dryer with barriers, barrier tape and ensure barriers
go well beyond arms length.

Unplug the phone, it's only Windows virus merchants on weekends
anyway.

Relax, enjoy the weekend*

* Might have a few minor "tweaks" to make if married.

AB
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 25 Aug 2018 19:40:28 +0100 (GMT+01:00), TheChief
wrote:

Hi guys

Anyone give me a clue why my Bosch condensing drier might be
tripping the RCD on our ring mains?

Just thought, after the flippancy. I dont think some tumble dryer
elements are of the enclosed variety, I seem to recollect seeing one
with an open element of nichrome.

I would suggest that an inspection of the element is made, tumble
dryers are notorious for starting fires, so an inspection of the
element for charred fibres bridging to ground would be my first plan
of attack.

Toolstation and Screwfix sell security bits if you do not commonly
strip white goods.

Before you start any activities, you will need the vacuum at the ready
:-)

AB

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:

TheChief formulated the question :
Hi guys

Anyone give me a clue why my Bosch condensing drier might be
tripping the RCD on our ring mains?

What with the phone line going awol and the drier issue, it's not
the relaxing do nothing weekend I was looking forward to so
far.

Not a problem at all,

Assuming the plug is the old type, remove screw and cover. Remove
green & yellow cable, insulate copper. Replace cover.

Surround tumble dryer with barriers, barrier tape and ensure barriers
go well beyond arms length.

TBH that is exactly the way I nearly burnt down my parents house when
the freezer was tripping the RCD.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

TheChief formulated the question :
Hi guys

Anyone give me a clue why my Bosch condensing drier might be
tripping the RCD on our ring mains?

What with the phone line going awol and the drier issue, it's not
the relaxing do nothing weekend I was looking forward to so
far.

Not a problem at all,

Assuming the plug is the old type, remove screw and cover. Remove
green & yellow cable, insulate copper. Replace cover.

Surround tumble dryer with barriers, barrier tape and ensure barriers
go well beyond arms length.

Unplug the phone, it's only Windows virus merchants on weekends
anyway.

Relax, enjoy the weekend*

* Might have a few minor "tweaks" to make if married.

AB

if you were going to do something like that, connecting it to neutral is a lot safer - but I really don't recommend it. It always has the potential to go badly wrong.

The US used neutral chassis cookers for decades without incident, but those were permanently wired, not on a plug.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheChief Wrote in message:
Hi guys

Anyone give me a clue why my Bosch condensing drier might be
tripping the RCD on our ring mains?

What with the phone line going awol and the drier issue, it's not
the relaxing do nothing weekend I was looking forward to so
far.

Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Thanks guys

Looks like rain tomorrow, so the drier element might just get a
coat of looking at.

Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Aug 2018 04:46:21 +1000, cantankerous senile geezer Rot Speed
blabbered, again:

You were warned about the consequences of all that
drunken dancing on graves. You wouldn't listen...

You still haven't realized that MOST people on the ngs you troll in don't
listen to you? Just HOW senile are you?

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheChief brought next idea :
Looks like rain tomorrow, so the drier element might just get a
coat of looking at.

Check for signs of any damage, along the length of it. Maybe try
disconnecting the end connections (both ends), insulating them, to see
if it still then trips the RCD.

Keep in mind that RCD's can be tripped, by both a leak L to E and a
leak N to E.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield Wrote in message:
TheChief brought next idea :
Looks like rain tomorrow, so the drier element might just get a
coat of looking at.

Check for signs of any damage, along the length of it. Maybe try
disconnecting the end connections (both ends), insulating them, to see
if it still then trips the RCD.

Keep in mind that RCD's can be tripped, by both a leak L to E and a
leak N to E.

Good idea thanks Harry
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 25 Aug 2018 19:40:28 +0100 (GMT+01:00), TheChief
wrote:

Hi guys

Anyone give me a clue why my Bosch condensing drier might be
tripping the RCD on our ring mains?

Leaking heater is probably the most common but a faulty noise filter
on the mains input may also be the problem. They are usually fairly
easy to bypass and there is no safety issue in doing so for testing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/08/2018 22:25, TheChief wrote:
Harry Bloomfield Wrote in message:
TheChief brought next idea :
Looks like rain tomorrow, so the drier element might just get a
coat of looking at.

Check for signs of any damage, along the length of it. Maybe try
disconnecting the end connections (both ends), insulating them, to see
if it still then trips the RCD.

Keep in mind that RCD's can be tripped, by both a leak L to E and a
leak N to E.

Good idea thanks Harry

While Harry's idea is good, don't assume any issue with the heater
casing will be visible. I recently had a heater fail (RCD trips) and
on removal there was a leakage path to earth- I'm pretty sure due to
water ingress. But even with an eye glass, I couldn't find a hole.

--

Remarkable Coincidences:
The Stock Market Crashes of 1929 and 2008 happened on the same
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/08/18 23:25, Brian Reay wrote:
On 25/08/2018 22:25, TheChief wrote:
Harry Bloomfield Wrote in message:
TheChief brought next idea :
Looks like rain tomorrow, so the drier element might just get a
Â* coat of looking at.

Check for signs of any damage, along the length of it. Maybe try
disconnecting the end connections (both ends), insulating them, to see
if it still then trips the RCD.

Keep in mind that RCD's can be tripped, by both a leak L to E and a
leak N to E.

Good idea thanks Harry

While Harry's idea is good, don't assume any issue with the heater
casing will be visible. I recently had a heater fail (RCD trips) and
on removal there was a leakage path to earth- I'm pretty sure due to
water ingress. But even with an eye glass, I couldn't find a hole.

been te same on every rcd tripping element I have ever replaved.
Outwardly perfect. Inside damp or crushed silca is displaced - few K to
earth.

--
Its easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.
Mark Twain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg submitted this idea :
Invariably high purity magnesia, e.g.
http://tateho-chemical.com/e/mgo/mgo3.html

Correct, the same system as used in Pyro/mineral insulated cable. The
difference being the element, in place of the copper conductor(s).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Service washing machine about 10 years ago. It had just been repaired as dry
joints on pcb. Was working fine for about a month, then smell of magic
smoke. Then several loud cracks, machine finished cycle. Looked around
nothing blown. However next time about five seconds after start, bang fizz
fuse and rcd went. Looked about no sign of problems reset and new fuse,
Smoke emanating from rear and a smell of charred lacquer and paxolin.
Machine now totally dead. RIP.
grin.
Nothing like making sure though is there.
grin.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
wrote:

TheChief formulated the question :
Hi guys

Anyone give me a clue why my Bosch condensing drier might be
tripping the RCD on our ring mains?

What with the phone line going awol and the drier issue, it's not
the relaxing do nothing weekend I was looking forward to so
far.

Not a problem at all,

Assuming the plug is the old type, remove screw and cover. Remove
green & yellow cable, insulate copper. Replace cover.

Surround tumble dryer with barriers, barrier tape and ensure barriers
go well beyond arms length.

TBH that is exactly the way I nearly burnt down my parents house when the
freezer was tripping the RCD.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheChief Wrote in message:
Hi guys

Anyone give me a clue why my Bosch condensing drier might be
tripping the RCD on our ring mains?

What with the phone line going awol and the drier issue, it's not
the relaxing do nothing weekend I was looking forward to so
far.

Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Well - went to check out the drier this morning, expecting to be
removing heater element.

Decided to get er-indoors to start the thing up and establish the
point in the cycle at which it tripped.

Apparently yesterday it tripped soon after start up of the second
cycle.

So far it has been running as normal without tripping.

So I am thinking:

A build up of moisture around the drier's electric bits
Or
It was a combination of appliances that did this.

Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/08/18 10:57, TheChief wrote:
TheChief Wrote in message:
Hi guys

[...]

Strange coincidence...

Yesterday the RCD tripped for the first time in several years. I'd dug
out a 4-years old Dimplex ceramic heater to use in the bathroom and
lounge as it was pretty cold yesterday with all that rain (we are
awaiting installation of a new boiler; fortunately we have an immersion
for hot water). It was on for over half an hour in the bathroom and
worked fine. Then I moved it to the lounge and it seemed ok there too.
Then my wife turned on the Beko tumble drier (5 years old) and after a
few minutes the RCD tripped. It tripped several times after resetting,
so something was playing up.

After much messing around and trying various circuits and disconnecting
several things, I came to the conclusion it was the tumble drier. Today
we turned everything on (except the tumble drier), including the
Dimplex, and all was fine. After lunch I decided to turn the tumble
drier on as we'd done some washing. And, of course, it worked fine. The
RCD didn't trip!

I haven't turned it on with the Dimplex going - and the immersion on -
to see if it is a combination. But it is very frustrating as it should
be pretty obvious what was causing the tripping.

--

Jeff

RCD test button not tripping the RCD. Rednadnerb UK diy 4 July 17th 10 02:02 AM
Tumble drier is tripping the RCD switch [email protected] UK diy 1 January 9th 07 03:44 PM
Tumble Dryer Tripping RCD Tut UK diy 10 October 3rd 06 01:49 PM
Bosch Tumble Drier keeps tripping heater cut out RzB UK diy 14 January 12th 06 07:15 PM
Indesit wdg1295w washer/drier tripping RCD on final fast spin spanner UK diy 6 February 6th 04 11:08 AM