Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Todays top tip

Setting fire to a mattress in your front garden slows the traffic down
better than speed bumps and 20MPH signs.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/11/2019 14:02:40, ARW wrote:
Setting fire to a mattress in your front garden slows the traffic down
better than speed bumps and 20MPH signs.

Is this from experience? Do you have many mattresses to burn?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/11/2019 14:02, ARW wrote:
Setting fire to a mattress in your front garden slows the traffic down
better than speed bumps and 20MPH signs.

Burning a old carpet in your back garden has a similar effect!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 3 November 2019 14:02:43 UTC, ARW wrote:
Setting fire to a mattress in your front garden slows the traffic down
better than speed bumps and 20MPH signs.

My father burned the old sofa cushions on a bonfire - they predated any safety regulations and even as a small child I was surprised the fire brigade didn't turn out at the dense plume of black smoke.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

Setting fire to a mattress in your front garden slows the traffic down
better than speed bumps and 20MPH signs.

Angle grinder and sneak it into the wheeelie bin over a few weeks

https://youtu.be/uxyAPlC3guM?t=223
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 03/11/2019 14:19, Fredxx wrote:
On 03/11/2019 14:02:40, ARW wrote:
Setting fire to a mattress in your front garden slows the traffic down
better than speed bumps and 20MPH signs.

Is this from experience? Do you have many mattresses to burn?

Only the one.

TBH I had to throw a computer chair and a gallon of diesel on it to get
it going.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 03 Nov 2019 14:29:02 +0000, alan_m wrote:

Burning a old carpet in your back garden has a similar effect!

Not remotely. You can't beat a horse hair stuffed mattress for smoke
generation. If the mattress Adam burned was horse hair, then it would
have been a wondrous sight to behold indeed. Kids today have no idea of
all the fun they've been swindled out of by our crusading environmental
nutters.

--
Leave first - THEN negotiate!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 03 Nov 2019 18:01:58 +0000, ARW wrote:

TBH I had to throw a computer chair and a gallon of diesel on it to get
it going.

Polystyrene is a pretty effective fire accelerator, too. Was the mattress
horse hair stuffed? I wish I could have been there to share the moment.
Got any video?

--
Leave first - THEN negotiate!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 03/11/2019 18:35, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sun, 03 Nov 2019 18:01:58 +0000, ARW wrote:

TBH I had to throw a computer chair and a gallon of diesel on it to get
it going.

Polystyrene is a pretty effective fire accelerator, too. Was the mattress
horse hair stuffed? I wish I could have been there to share the moment.

Got any video?

Does a hobby horse have a wooden cock?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a7KKjhnJd0

Lad should have videos of us throwing petrol at it.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well at least the hobby house has a hard cock!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

And no doubt brings along the pollution police.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"ARW" wrote in message
Setting fire to a mattress in your front garden slows the traffic down
better than speed bumps and 20MPH signs.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 03 Nov 2019 18:51:41 +0000, ARW wrote:

Does a hobby horse have a wooden cock?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a7KKjhnJd0

Lad should have videos of us throwing petrol at it.

You should enter for the 'Next-Door Neighbour of the Year' competition.
;-
Bit disappointing, though; obviously not horse-hair filled. I can only
give you 2 stars for that.

--
Leave first - THEN negotiate!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/11/2019 18:01, ARW wrote:
On 03/11/2019 14:19, Fredxx wrote:
On 03/11/2019 14:02:40, ARW wrote:
Setting fire to a mattress in your front garden slows the traffic
down better than speed bumps and 20MPH signs.

Is this from experience? Do you have many mattresses to burn?

Only the one.

TBH I had to throw a computer chair and a gallon of diesel on it to get
it going.

From experience (40-odd years ago), storing a combined UV/Infra-red
lamp under the bed and accidentally plugging it in instead of the
electric blanket sets light to a mattress very well! The lamp did have a
safety switch to stop it operating if it was closed or knocked over, but
it was a mercury switch and made contact if it was stored upside-down

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/11/2019 14:02, ARW wrote:
Setting fire to a mattress in your front garden slows the traffic down
better than speed bumps and 20MPH signs.

I know someone who had a massive number of soiled fecal incontinence
items to dispose of. He rung their local council who said that they
couldn't help. In the end he piled them up in a corner of his field and
dropped a couple of old doors over them. Later that summer he figured
they must have dried out so he took the doors off and got some soiled
pillows and poured paraffin into them. They absorbed quite a lot
apparently. He pushed the pillows under the incontinence products and
threw in a match. He did this at 3am. For many days the smell was the
talk of the whole district. Apparently it made people want to vomit.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 04 Nov 2019 01:24:07 +0000, Bill Wright wrote:

I know someone who had a massive number of soiled fecal incontinence
items to dispose of. He rung their local council who said that they
couldn't help. In the end he piled them up in a corner of his field and
dropped a couple of old doors over them. Later that summer he figured
they must have dried out so he took the doors off and got some soiled
pillows and poured paraffin into them. They absorbed quite a lot
apparently. He pushed the pillows under the incontinence products and
threw in a match. He did this at 3am. For many days the smell was the
talk of the whole district. Apparently it made people want to vomit.

They should have nominated him for the 'Next-Door Neighbour of the Year'
competition. :-D

--
Leave first - THEN negotiate!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:
On 03/11/2019 14:02, ARW wrote:
Setting fire to a mattress in your front garden slows the traffic down
better than speed bumps and 20MPH signs.

Burning a old carpet in your back garden has a similar effect!

In a houseshare when young one of the things we did not have was a
lawnmower and the grass and weeds got to about two foot tall. Then one of
the lads came home with sickel , it was a warm weekend and by Sunday the
grass was turning to hay quite nicely. We were sat on the doorstep waiting
for the pub to open wondering how to get rid of it .€ť Might burn Ive seen
farmers burn stubble €śsomeone said €śgive it a match then€ť.
The result was quite good but smoky, some neighbour called the fire brigade
which was a bit OTT,it had burnt out in minutes. The slightly peeved
fireman gave us a lecture and left, they were back a few months later but
that was due to us leaving a coin gas meter on the step with a note to the
meter man who was insisting on emptying it and left a note to say he would
call. The landlord had the meter disconnected when we moved in and the part
of the house it served connected to the ordinary meter and only had about
50p in it.
Unwilling to take time of work we placed it on the doorstep and the note
invited the meter man to take the 50p
and the meter or leave it and we would pit it back later.
Came home to find a fire engine,gas personnel , Police and a cordon keeping
people away from the vicinity of the house which really peed off the
neighbours.
Turned out the gas fitter who took it out of circuit although an actual
gasboard fitter was a mate of the landlord
and did it for a pint which meant no records were amended.

GH

And todays top tip ARW[_2_] UK diy 55 May 11th 17 02:14 PM
Todays top tip ARW UK diy 111 February 11th 17 03:25 PM
Todays top tip ARW UK diy 2 January 26th 16 02:20 PM
Todays top tip ARWadsworth UK diy 5 July 15th 12 03:35 PM
OT; Todays top H&S tip The Medway Handyman[_2_] UK diy 71 March 8th 10 08:02 PM