Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default LED panel ceiling lights - follow-up

Quick feedback following the earlier discussions ...
I ordered a couple of LumiLife 600x600 4000K 4000lm panels from LedHut -
their fulfilment process was a mess but the panels are great. The light
is close to daylight and nicely diffuse. Because SWMBO likes a lot of
light, and it's a large'ish room, I've ordered another (despite my rant
about delayed delivery) and will order a couple of 600x300s for an area
behind a beam. In case there's too much light I've arranged to be able
to change the switching.
Thanks to everyone for the earlier replies; these panels are far better
than downlighters.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
Thanks to everyone for the earlier replies; these panels are far better
than downlighters.

They are totally different. A soft source rather than hard. Depends what
you prefer.

--
*Ever stop to think and forget to start again?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

In article ,
wrote:
Thanks to everyone for the earlier replies; these panels are far better
than downlighters.

They are totally different. A soft source rather than hard. Depends what
you prefer.

I ended up putting a 4000K spot light above my computer desk.

Now when I was a lad, keyboards were white with black letters and not
black with white letters and there was never a problem:-)

A few months ago I also fitted 9 non dimmable spot lights to a customers
bedroom. They were delighted with monstrosity, presumably as it shows
off her Botox and fake tan from 9 lights not one.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 1 November 2019 19:21:13 UTC, ARW wrote:
A few months ago I also fitted 9 non dimmable spot lights to a customers
bedroom. They were delighted with monstrosity, presumably as it shows
off her Botox and fake tan from 9 lights not one.

Don't they get in the way of the mirror?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 1 November 2019 20:20:24 UTC, ARW wrote:
I was surprised that there were no mirrors on the room.
All done by selfies these days?

Ah yes, there was a television programme about that the other week. Apparently some young ladies earn about £1,000 a day posing in front of their mobile telephones.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/11/2019 19:21, ARW wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* wrote:
Thanks to everyone for the earlier replies; these panels are far better
than downlighters.

They are totally different. A soft source rather than hard. Depends what
you prefer.

I ended up putting a 4000K spot light above my computer desk.

Now when I was a lad, keyboards were white with black letters and not
black with white letters and there was never a problem:-)

A few months ago I also fitted 9 non dimmable spot lights to a customers
bedroom. They were delighted with monstrosity, presumably as it shows
off her Botox and fake tan from 9 lights not one.

Adam, I bought one of them dimmers you recommended. It works perfectly
with the LED panel. Thank you.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 01 Nov 2019 16:19:56 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
Thanks to everyone for the earlier replies; these panels are far better
than downlighters.

They are totally different. A soft source rather than hard. Depends what
you prefer.

Being a utilitarian, what I want is 'light', sufficient to do what I
need to do and without it being noticeable.

So, if I'm just watching telly then some form of background (levels
of) light is all I need, if I'm asleep in bed I want no light at all
and if I'm doing stuff where I needed to see what I'm doing clearly, I
need plenty of light.

I don't want shadows, I don't want to be replacing the lamps with any
regularity, I want them to be efficient and easy to replace should I
need to.

In the kitchen, workshop or study that's probably sill best served
with fluros (or LED equivalents, IF they provide sufficient peripheral
lighting, like I have stuff *above* the lights in the roof of the
workshop).

In all the other rooms, an entire ceiling sized LED panel that would
give enough light to work on detailed stuff but then be dimmable down
to very low / off would probably be ideal.

Fitting 1,000 downlighters per room is heading towards that but with a
lot more faff. ;-)

Unfortunately we have the central ceiling light / fans in the lounge
and bedroom so the issue is getting *enough* light (because of the
restrictions of the fitting) so have to used additional light
(Anglepoise / side-lights etc).

Can you get a 3 x 4m LED panel? ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Can you get a 3 x 4m LED panel? ;-)

You can get pretty close to that you just need to buy a suspended ceiling kit less the tiles and replace with the LED panels. You might just have to have a single row of ceiling tiles cut down to fit the gap as the LED panels obviously cannot be cut down to fit, but at least most of the ceiling will be light panels.

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 02/11/2019 11:38, Bill Wright wrote:
On 01/11/2019 19:21, ARW wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* wrote:
Thanks to everyone for the earlier replies; these panels are far better
than downlighters.

They are totally different. A soft source rather than hard. Depends what
you prefer.

I ended up putting a 4000K spot light above my computer desk.

Now when I was a lad, keyboards were white with black letters and not
black with white letters and there was never a problem:-)

A few months ago I also fitted 9 non dimmable spot lights to a
customers bedroom. They were delighted with monstrosity, presumably as
it shows off her Botox and fake tan from 9 lights not one.

Adam, I bought one of them dimmers you recommended. It works perfectly
with the LED panel. Thank you.

Good.

I have two non dimmable 4000K 600x600 panels if you want them (garage
maybe?). I ordered two for a job and they delivered two boxes with two
lights in each box.

Let me know and I'll drop them off sometime.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 2 Nov 2019 05:56:02 -0700 (PDT), Tricky Dicky
wrote:

Can you get a 3 x 4m LED panel? ;-)

You can get pretty close to that you just need to buy a suspended ceiling kit less the tiles and replace with the LED panels.

We could do that as we have pretty high ceilings.

You might just have to have a single row of ceiling tiles cut down to fit the gap as the LED panels obviously cannot be cut down to fit, but at least most of the ceiling will be light panels.

I have worked with many such solutions (and raised floors) in my days
as a Datacomms Tech but even I'm not sure if that would be quite what
I'd want because of other things (like the ceiling fan and coving
etc).

A grid of surface mounted / rectangular / slimline panels could be a
compromise though.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/11/2019 12:56, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Can you get a 3 x 4m LED panel? ;-)

You can get pretty close to that you just need to buy a suspended ceiling kit less the tiles and replace with the LED panels. You might just have to have a single row of ceiling tiles cut down to fit the gap as the LED panels obviously cannot be cut down to fit, but at least most of the ceiling will be light panels.

You would need one hell of a dimmer switch.

--

Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 2 November 2019 17:51:53 UTC, ARW wrote:
You can get pretty close to that you just need to buy a suspended
ceiling kit less the tiles and replace with the LED panels.

You would need one hell of a dimmer switch.

If you dim at 240 volts yes.

If the fittings have internal dimmers and can be daisychained through DALI (64 devices on one control) or DSI (200 devices), not necessarily.

As an aside, I like this, but not the price.
https://www.hager.co.uk/product-cata...ting/38548.htm

Owain