Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electric towel rail

My previous towel rails have been plumbed into the hot water system.
I'm pretty sure the best of these was made from chromed brass tubing.

Now I'm looking at electrically heated towel rails. I did think that
these were generally oil filled but it seems that most are made from
chromed steel tube and are water filled. Even with a rust inhibitor in
the water is this the best I can hope to find theses days?
--

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/10/2019 15:57, Mike Halmarack wrote:
My previous towel rails have been plumbed into the hot water system.
I'm pretty sure the best of these was made from chromed brass tubing.

Now I'm looking at electrically heated towel rails. I did think that
these were generally oil filled but it seems that most are made from
chromed steel tube and are water filled. Even with a rust inhibitor in
the water is this the best I can hope to find theses days?

Slightly surprised to hear this, but provided they are adequately sealed
it shouldn't matter.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/10/2019 16:00, newshound wrote:
On 31/10/2019 15:57, Mike Halmarack wrote:
My previous towel rails have been plumbed into the hot water system.
I'm pretty sure the best of these was made from chromed brass tubing.

Now I'm looking at electrically heated towel rails. I did think that
these were generally oil filled but it seems that most are made from
chromed steel tube and are water filled. Even with a rust inhibitor in
the water is this the best I can hope to find theses days?

Slightly surprised to hear this, but provided they are adequately sealed
it shouldn't matter.

Not entirely surprising, as you can have a conventional towel rail on
your central heating system, with an additional electric element for use
when the heating is off in the summer. It's probably easier to supply
one of those with the pipe connection holes bunged up than a dedicated,
oil-filled one.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/10/2019 20:26, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Yes but in the central heating ones they are not sealed up are they?
Brian

As long as there is an air-gap for expansion. Thinking about it, it
would be quite possible for a towel radiator that has been fully bled to
then be isolated at the valves - which won't happen with an electric
only one.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mike Halmarack wrote:
My previous towel rails have been plumbed into the hot water system.
I'm pretty sure the best of these was made from chromed brass tubing.

Now I'm looking at electrically heated towel rails. I did think that
these were generally oil filled but it seems that most are made from
chromed steel tube and are water filled. Even with a rust inhibitor in
the water is this the best I can hope to find theses days?

Mine is polished stainless steel. Think it came from TLC. Runs off the
central heating. Many years old, and still fine.

--
*I believe five out of four people have trouble with fractions. *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:
Question, what is the real point of a heated towel rail? It will surely
only dry the bit on the rail.

Convection. Same way as any such rad works.

--
*Why is the word abbreviation so long? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well, one thing it does, apart from drying towels, is warm the bathroom.

I see now that oil filled towel rails, made from the most suitable metal are much more expensive than the mild steel, water filled variety. And for the larger, more accommodating sizes, many hundreds of pounds dearer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mike Halmarack wrote:
Well, one thing it does, apart from drying towels, is warm the bathroom.

But not much, if covered with towels. I have a rad too.

--
*Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mike Halmarack wrote:
Well, one thing it does, apart from drying towels, is warm the bathroom.

But not much, if covered with towels. I have a rad too.

Depends on the details, though. Mine (on the heating) does in fact
provide enough heat (although it isn't normally completely covered with
towels, since we mostly use a separate shower room).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 2 Nov 2019 05:53:07 +1100, Chang, better known as cantankerous

That doesn¢t heat or dry much of a towel tho.

Oh, darn! You HAD to **** also in this innocent little thread, you senile
****head! tsk

cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:
Question, what is the real point of a heated towel rail? It will surely
only dry the bit on the rail.

Convection. Same way as any such rad works.

That doesn’t heat or dry much of a towel tho.
Tho I spose it does heat or dry the middle of
the towel which is where its mostly wet after use.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/11/2019 17:35, newshound wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* Mike Halmarack wrote:
Well, one thing it does, apart from drying towels, is warm the bathroom.

But not much, if covered with towels. I have a rad too.

Depends on the details, though. Mine (on the heating) does in fact
provide enough heat (although it isn't normally completely covered with
towels, since we mostly use a separate shower room).

I have a large CH rad in the bathroom for fast heat and a fancy
designer towel rail with an electric element and integrated adjustable
thermostat on a time switch for drying/warming the towels especially in
the summer.
Installation instructions were to almost fill with water , heat up to
max with bleed plug out for a while then top up and close bleed plug .
I added a little fennox rad treatment as well !
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:
Question, what is the real point of a heated towel rail? It will surely
only dry the bit on the rail.

Convection. Same way as any such rad works.

That doesn’t heat or dry much of a towel tho.
Tho I spose it does heat or dry the middle of
the towel which is where its mostly wet after use.

My current towel rail is a small oil filled electrically heat one.
It's switched on all the time. It not only dries the couple of towels
it will comfortably hold, it warms the whole bathroom easily, even
through a layer of toweling.
It's just that I want a much larger one that will double as a clothes
dryer.
--

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

*** Mike Halmarack wrote:
Well, one thing it does, apart from drying towels, is warm the bathroom.

But not much, if covered with towels. I have a rad too.

Depends on the details, though. Mine (on the heating) does in fact
provide enough heat (although it isn't normally completely covered with
towels, since we mostly use a separate shower room).

I have a large CH rad in the bathroom for fast heat and a fancy
designer towel rail with an electric element and integrated adjustable
thermostat on a time switch for drying/warming the towels especially in
the summer.
Installation instructions were to almost fill with water , heat up to
max with bleed plug out for a while then top up and close bleed plug .
I added a little fennox rad treatment as well !

That seems to be the type of towel rail that I've seen most of in my
searches. To save a few hundred quid I might settle for one of those.
--

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/11/2019 12:52, Mike Halmarack wrote:
Well, one thing it does, apart from drying towels, is warm the bathroom.

I see now that oil filled towel rails, made from the most suitable metal are much more expensive than the mild steel, water filled variety. And for the larger, more accommodating sizes, many hundreds of pounds dearer.

The heat output of a typical towel rail tends not to be
sufficient to cope with the heat loss of the room in
winter, unless you have a very well-insulated property.

Neighbour made the mistake of replacing a 600x600
double panel bathroom radiator with a towel rail as
part of the bathroom refurn, and wife soon decided
that the bathroom was too then cold.