Mike Mitchell

Default Digging a pit

Is there any planning permission required for constructing an
inspection pit inside a garage on a domestic dwelling?

MM
G&M

"Mike Mitchell" wrote in message
Is there any planning permission required for constructing an
inspection pit inside a garage on a domestic dwelling?

By "on a domestic dwelling" do you mean the garage is attached to the
dwelling ? If so building control will want to be involved.

Mike Mitchell

On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 20:58:49 +0100, "G&M"
wrote:

"Mike Mitchell" wrote in message
.. .
Is there any planning permission required for constructing an
inspection pit inside a garage on a domestic dwelling?

By "on a domestic dwelling" do you mean the garage is attached to the
dwelling ? If so building control will want to be involved.

The assumption is that the garage would be part of the property, and
may be affixed to the property or a separate building some distance
away. I mean, this is just as an idea of mine, as I grew up in a large
house which had the huge coaching sheds out the back, one with a pit,
and I want one day to get back into the old cars of my youth.

But I don't quite see why the council planning bods would be
interested, as what could happen just by digging a pit? Obviously, one
would have to make sure no soil or supply pipes crossed that part of
the ground, or take steps to reroute them. And one would also have to
ensure that safety was ensured, both during construction and when
finished, with the right thickness of planks being used to cover over
the pit (the one I remember as a lad had railway sleepers) when not in
use.

MM
Ian Stirling

Mike Mitchell wrote:
snip
But I don't quite see why the council planning bods would be
interested, as what could happen just by digging a pit? Obviously, one
would have to make sure no soil or supply pipes crossed that part of
the ground, or take steps to reroute them. And one would also have to

The structure you construct the pit in falls down due to undermining
the foundations.
G&M

"Mike Mitchell" wrote in message
But I don't quite see why the council planning bods would be
interested, as what could happen just by digging a pit?

It's building control, not planning. Quite different entities - like civil
engineers and architects (sort of).

From the sound of it I would definitely talk to them.

Owain

"Mike Mitchell" wrote
| By "on a domestic dwelling" do you mean the garage is attached
| to the dwelling ? If so building control will want to be involved.
| But I don't quite see why the council planning bods would be
| interested, as what could happen just by digging a pit?

Building control, not planning. An inspection pit presents issues of
drainage/sump and flammable liquids or gases building up in the pit as well
as the obvious ones of trip / fall hazard.

Owain

Terry

"Owain" wrote in message
"Mike Mitchell" wrote
| By "on a domestic dwelling" do you mean the garage is attached
| to the dwelling ? If so building control will want to be involved.
| But I don't quite see why the council planning bods would be
| interested, as what could happen just by digging a pit?

Building control, not planning. An inspection pit presents issues of
drainage/sump and flammable liquids or gases building up in the pit as

well
as the obvious ones of trip / fall hazard.

I can just see the outcome to an illegal pit!
Headline:
"Homeowner ordered to get rid of hole"!
"Authorities find does not meet hole standards and is environmentally
unsuitable".
"Claims that hole is 'nothing'; merely a gap in the firmament".
"Hole contains nothing but air; how can it be 'got rid of'?".
"Case to go to appeal, next year".
"Outcome uncertain; little precedent in law about 'holes', empty or
otherwise."
:-)

David W.E. Roberts

"Owain" wrote in message
"Mike Mitchell" wrote
| By "on a domestic dwelling" do you mean the garage is attached
| to the dwelling ? If so building control will want to be involved.
| But I don't quite see why the council planning bods would be
| interested, as what could happen just by digging a pit?

Building control, not planning. An inspection pit presents issues of
drainage/sump and flammable liquids or gases building up in the pit as

well
as the obvious ones of trip / fall hazard.

Owain

Also consider a ramp - easier (and probably cheaper) to construct.
Much better access.
No problems with drainage or gas build up.

Only problem is the headroom :-)

Dave R

Mike Mitchell

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 10:28:30 +0100, "David W.E. Roberts"
wrote:

"Owain" wrote in message
"Mike Mitchell" wrote
| By "on a domestic dwelling" do you mean the garage is attached
| to the dwelling ? If so building control will want to be involved.
| But I don't quite see why the council planning bods would be
| interested, as what could happen just by digging a pit?

Building control, not planning. An inspection pit presents issues of
drainage/sump and flammable liquids or gases building up in the pit as

well
as the obvious ones of trip / fall hazard.

Owain

Also consider a ramp - easier (and probably cheaper) to construct.
Much better access.
No problems with drainage or gas build up.

Only problem is the headroom :-)

Plus, unsightly. Oh, how I miss the wonderful hoists we had in the
Prototypenabteilung at Ford in Cologne!

MM
adder

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message ...

Also consider a ramp - easier (and probably cheaper) to construct.
Much better access.

Can you tell me how? Would need one heck of a run up!
I've often thought about making a metal ramp out of a couple of steel
girders type things but then with a big jack under the shallow end to
get he car up level. Not sure that'd be safer than a pit though!!

Mary Fisher

wrote:

"Mike Mitchell" wrote in message
.. .
Is there any planning permission required for constructing an
inspection pit inside a garage on a domestic dwelling?

But I don't quite see why the council planning bods would be
interested, as what could happen just by digging a pit?

How would they know?

I'd forgotten that our garage has a pit, a) it's covered with boards and
probably full of stored stuff and b) the boards can't be seen for all the
stuff which lives in the garage.

I mean, how many garages are used for cars?

You can't even get TO our garage in a car even if you could get into it.
Repairs are done - when they are (these days mostly the car goes to the
professionals) by driving it on to ramps and jacking the other end.

Mary

Rick Dipper

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 12:36:51 +0100, Mike Mitchell
wrote:

Is there any planning permission required for constructing an
inspection pit inside a garage on a domestic dwelling?

MM

You might need building regs, I'd digg a small hole to find the
foundations and onec found have a bit of a think about what I found

Building control Iin my area) will work with the sort of drawings you
can do with a pencil and ruler for easier projects.

Rick