Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default IT question (slightly OT)

I do incremental backups of a couple of datasets with simple batch files
using Robocopy /MIR. These normally work fine, except after the clock
change when they back up everything on the grounds that the target files
are all "older". IIRC they do this for both directions of clock change.
No huge deal to "live with it" but interested to know if there might be
a fix.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound posted
I do incremental backups of a couple of datasets with simple batch
files using Robocopy /MIR. These normally work fine, except after the
clock change when they back up everything on the grounds that the
target files are all "older". IIRC they do this for both directions of
clock change. No huge deal to "live with it" but interested to know if
there might be a fix.

I use Microsoft's xcopy utility in exactly the same way, and it does
exactly the same. Just makes the backup take ten times longer. There
doesn't seem to be a fix using any of the cmd-line parameters.

--
Evremonde
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/10/2019 21:16, The Marquis Saint Evremonde wrote:
newshound posted
I do incremental backups of a couple of datasets with simple batch
files using Robocopy /MIR. These normally work fine, except after the
clock change when they back up everything on the grounds that the
target files are all "older". IIRC they do this for both directions of
clock change. No huge deal to "live with it" but interested to know if
there might be a fix.

I use Microsoft's xcopy utility in exactly the same way, and it does
exactly the same. Just makes the backup take ten times longer. There
doesn't seem to be a fix using any of the cmd-line parameters.

I remember that too, I shifted to Robocopy (which IIRC is part of
Windows now) after seeing a posting somewhere vaguely reputable
suggesting it was better. Very similar to use, though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

I remember that too, I shifted to Robocopy (which IIRC is part of
Windows now) after seeing a posting somewhere vaguely reputable
suggesting it was better. Very similar to use, though.

I find https://freefilesync.org/ very useful, configurable in
more ways than I understand so far.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 Oct 2019 20:29:26 +0000, newshound wrote:

I do incremental backups of a couple of datasets with simple batch files
using Robocopy /MIR. These normally work fine, except after the clock
change when they back up everything on the grounds that the target files
are all "older". IIRC they do this for both directions of clock change.
No huge deal to "live with it" but interested to know if there might be
a fix.

Slightly increase the backup interval?

I assume that if you are backing up hourly or less then this might cause
an issue on clock change (or perhaps if you are backing up around
midnight) but I assume that if you make sure that your backups are more
than an hour apart and that they don't take place during the hour back/
forward window then all the files should be accurate?

I can see that files modified just before and during the time going back
an hour could have incorrect relative times, but anything modified longer
ago shouldn't be picked up.

Would be nice if there was a setting to use UTC date/time instead of GMT/
BST though.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David posted
[...]

No, that's not so. I got the same thing as the OP even though I only
backup every couple of days, and well outside the clock-change period.

Would be nice if there was a setting to use UTC date/time instead of GMT/
BST though.

That's what I was looking for in the xcopy parameters, but it's not
there.

--
Evremonde
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/10/2019 20:29, newshound wrote:
I do incremental backups of a couple of datasets with simple batch files
using Robocopy /MIR. These normally work fine, except after the clock
change when they back up everything on the grounds that the target files
are all "older". IIRC they do this for both directions of clock change.
No huge deal to "live with it" but interested to know if there might be
a fix.

Change the timing of your backups so that the date stamps will never
look older. I would suggest somewhere between 3am and 6am for daily
backups or Sunday night/Monday morning for weekly.
(3am because it won't happen twice, 6am on the random assumption that
you want the backup to be completed before humans start working.)