Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hammer drill from Lidl problem

I've had this hammer drill for a couple of years. It's a PBH 1500 E5,
pretty heavy and apparently heavy duty.
I bought it anticipating future needs but only used it twice on jobs
which did'nt require it's full power or heavy duty-ness.

Then, I moved to a new abode and set out to use it this morning.
It was in simple drill mode, but slipped into hammer mode, so I
paused, then pulling the trigger had no effect and and the function
selector switch wouldn't rotate to either drill mode or plain hammer
but stuck at drill with hammer.

I'm asking to see if anyone else has had such a problem with this
drill.

Being retired and getting on a wee bit I've developed a tendency to go
for cheap replacement tools but I've realised it's a mistake.
So, if I can't get this item working I'm going to splash out on
quality and somebody or other will be inheriting a quality tool in the
no too near term, I hope..
--

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/10/2019 16:50, Mike Halmarack wrote:
I've had this hammer drill for a couple of years. It's a PBH 1500 E5,
pretty heavy and apparently heavy duty.
I bought it anticipating future needs but only used it twice on jobs
which did'nt require it's full power or heavy duty-ness.

Lidl tools normally come with 3 years warranty, so dig out the receipt
call the service number.

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Three year warranty, take it back.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-7J5bTNynoM

--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 24 Oct 2019 16:50:21 +0100, Mike Halmarack wrote:

It was in simple drill mode, but slipped into hammer mode, so I
paused, then pulling the trigger had no effect and and the function
selector switch wouldn't rotate to either drill mode or plain hammer
but stuck at drill with hammer.

Why did it slip into hammer mode?

Any catch required to be released to move the selector?
Tried twisting the chuck back and forth whilst trying to move the
selector?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 24 Oct 2019 17:14:57 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Thu, 24 Oct 2019 16:50:21 +0100, Mike Halmarack wrote:

It was in simple drill mode, but slipped into hammer mode, so I
paused, then pulling the trigger had no effect and and the function
selector switch wouldn't rotate to either drill mode or plain hammer
but stuck at drill with hammer.

Why did it slip into hammer mode?

Not sure, maybe I nudged it inadvertently while trying to drill a
hole. Though there is push down release button to prevent this.

Any catch required to be released to move the selector?
Tried twisting the chuck back and forth whilst trying to move the
selector?

I did quite a bit of hopeful twiddling. The manual doesn't have a
troubleshooting section. So, without the receipt, which I may yet
find, it's likely going to be my ticket to Makita-land.
--

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Thu, 24 Oct 2019 16:50:21 +0100, Mike Halmarack wrote:

It was in simple drill mode, but slipped into hammer mode, so I
paused, then pulling the trigger had no effect and and the function
selector switch wouldn't rotate to either drill mode or plain hammer
but stuck at drill with hammer.

Why did it slip into hammer mode?

Not sure, maybe I nudged it inadvertently while trying to drill a
hole. Though there is push down release button to prevent this.

Looks to be pretty well made from that video up-thread - and slipping
looks highly unlikely. There's a bit on the mechanism at about 8.30 -
maybe the grease has dried out or something?

Any catch required to be released to move the selector?
Tried twisting the chuck back and forth whilst trying to move the
selector?

I did quite a bit of hopeful twiddling. The manual doesn't have a
troubleshooting section. So, without the receipt, which I may yet
find, it's likely going to be my ticket to Makita-land.

I'd try it on with just a bank statement printout. They sell these
things within such particular time periods - if you can prove you spent
the sum at or exceeding the drill at the time it was sold, it may well work.

Fingers crossed of course :-)

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mike Halmarack wrote:
Being retired and getting on a wee bit I've developed a tendency to go
for cheap replacement tools but I've realised it's a mistake.

I've got lots and lots of Lidl power tools, and I'd say you've been very
unlucky. If indeed it is something that can't be easily fixed.

--
*Sleep with a photographer and watch things develop

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Thu, 24 Oct 2019 16:50:21 +0100, Mike Halmarack wrote:

It was in simple drill mode, but slipped into hammer mode, so I
paused, then pulling the trigger had no effect and and the function
selector switch wouldn't rotate to either drill mode or plain hammer
but stuck at drill with hammer.

Why did it slip into hammer mode?

Not sure, maybe I nudged it inadvertently while trying to drill a
hole. Though there is push down release button to prevent this.

Any catch required to be released to move the selector?
Tried twisting the chuck back and forth whilst trying to move the
selector?

I did quite a bit of hopeful twiddling. The manual doesn't have a
troubleshooting section. So, without the receipt, which I may yet
find, it's likely going to be my ticket to Makita-land.

You don't need the receipt if they didn't sell it more than two years
ago. You contact their head office and they will send confirmation of it
being in warranty if so.
You can then take it to store and get a refund to help you makita land.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

did you buy it on a credit or debit card, if so look at your bank
statements.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
wrote:

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Thu, 24 Oct 2019 16:50:21 +0100, Mike Halmarack wrote:

It was in simple drill mode, but slipped into hammer mode, so I
paused, then pulling the trigger had no effect and and the function
selector switch wouldn't rotate to either drill mode or plain hammer
but stuck at drill with hammer.

Why did it slip into hammer mode?

Not sure, maybe I nudged it inadvertently while trying to drill a
hole. Though there is push down release button to prevent this.

Any catch required to be released to move the selector?
Tried twisting the chuck back and forth whilst trying to move the
selector?

I did quite a bit of hopeful twiddling. The manual doesn't have a
troubleshooting section. So, without the receipt, which I may yet
find, it's likely going to be my ticket to Makita-land.

If you buy from Lidl again it's worth scanning or taking a photo of the
receipt. I had a cheap electric screwdriver which failed after 2+
years. I sent an email with details of the fault, the serial number and
a scan of the receipt. Replacement was delivered a week or so later.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/10/2019 17:42, Mike Halmarack wrote:

I did quite a bit of hopeful twiddling. The manual doesn't have a
troubleshooting section. So, without the receipt, which I may yet
find,

Credit card record?

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Thu, 24 Oct 2019 16:50:21 +0100, Mike Halmarack wrote:

It was in simple drill mode, but slipped into hammer mode, so I
paused, then pulling the trigger had no effect andÂ* and the function
selector switch wouldn't rotate to either drill mode or plain hammer
but stuck at drill with hammer.

Why did it slip into hammer mode?

Not sure, maybe I nudged it inadvertently while trying to drill a
hole. Though there is push down release button to prevent this.

Any catch required to be released to move the selector?
Tried twisting the chuck back and forth whilst trying to move the
selector?

I did quite a bit of hopeful twiddling. The manual doesn't have a
troubleshooting section. So, without the receipt, which I may yet
find, it's likely going to be my ticket to Makita-land.

If you buy from Lidl again it's worth scanning or taking a photo of the
receipt.

Good idea - might well start doing that.

I had a cheap electric screwdriver which failed after 2+
years.Â* I sent an email with details of the fault, the serial number and
a scan of the receipt.Â* Replacement was delivered a week or so later.

Is a digital copy legally enforceable, though?

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Doesnt need to be legally enforceable, just keep Lidl happy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

If it came to a court case the judge would decide who he believed and
whether the copy was a true one on the balance of probablities. It
would be dfferent if returning perfectly satisfactory goods, as the firm
is entitiled to make any reasonable condition for what is a voluntary
concession, and could choose to reject copies. If they are faulty,
then, as I say, a judge will decide on the evidence. Knowing this, the
shop is likely to accept the copy unless they think the customer is
lying.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 24 Oct 2019 19:38:03 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Mike Halmarack wrote:
Being retired and getting on a wee bit I've developed a tendency to go
for cheap replacement tools but I've realised it's a mistake.

I've got lots and lots of Lidl power tools, and I'd say you've been very
unlucky. If indeed it is something that can't be easily fixed.

It certainly occured at an unlucky moment, or at least the moment when
I tried to use it.
there's a green light to show that it's receiving power from the
mains.
Is it possible that there's an internal fuse that's blown?
--

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Fri, 25 Oct 2019 19:45:35 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Is a digital copy legally enforceable, though?

Doesn¢t need to be legally enforceable, just keep Lidl happy.

IOW, you don't know! You just keep driveling and auto-contradicting, senile
cretin!

little ignorant ****."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/10/2019 09:57, Roger Hayter wrote:
RJH wrote:

On 24/10/2019 20:41, Robin wrote:
On 24/10/2019 17:42, Mike Halmarack wrote:

snip

[...]

Makes sense, thanks.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mike Halmarack wrote:
On Thu, 24 Oct 2019 19:38:03 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Mike Halmarack wrote:
Being retired and getting on a wee bit I've developed a tendency to go
for cheap replacement tools but I've realised it's a mistake.

I've got lots and lots of Lidl power tools, and I'd say you've been very
unlucky. If indeed it is something that can't be easily fixed.

It certainly occured at an unlucky moment, or at least the moment when
I tried to use it.
there's a green light to show that it's receiving power from the
mains.
Is it possible that there's an internal fuse that's blown?
--

Sorry - dunno the Lidl mains SDS. I bought my DeWalt mains SDS before Lidl
were around.

--
*To be intoxicated is to feel sophisticated, but not be able to say it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/10/2019 09:59, Mike Halmarack wrote:
It certainly occured at an unlucky moment, or at least the moment when
I tried to use it.
there's a green light to show that it's receiving power from the
mains.
Is it possible that there's an internal fuse that's blown?

No, it's very unlikely to be caused by an electrical problem.

Switching between drill and hammer action is achieved by a mechanical
linkage between the selector knob and the gears. If yours is now stuck
in drill only mode then something's probably come adrift in the
mechanical linkage in the gearbox.

But if the drill no longer runs and the selector won't move then it's
possible that it might have jammed the motor and also caused something
to burn out in the electronics.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Oct 2019 17:34:00 +0100, Mike Clarke
wrote:

On 25/10/2019 09:59, Mike Halmarack wrote:
It certainly occured at an unlucky moment, or at least the moment when
I tried to use it.
there's a green light to show that it's receiving power from the
mains.
Is it possible that there's an internal fuse that's blown?

No, it's very unlikely to be caused by an electrical problem.

Switching between drill and hammer action is achieved by a mechanical
linkage between the selector knob and the gears. If yours is now stuck
in drill only mode then something's probably come adrift in the
mechanical linkage in the gearbox.

But if the drill no longer runs and the selector won't move then it's
possible that it might have jammed the motor and also caused something
to burn out in the electronics.

Now you've explained it, that's exactly how it looks.
--

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 26 Oct 2019 14:26:58 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Trivial to provide that capability.

What could be more trivial than your insipid trolling in all the UK
newsgroups, senile Ozzie pest!

--
The Natural Philosopher about senile Rot:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dOn Sat, 26 Oct 2019 13:57:26 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Yeah, that's the big lack with applepay/googlepay/samsungpay
etc,

STILL no feedback for you, lonely senile pest? Nobody can say you don't keep
trying and trying! LOL

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID: