Posted to uk.d-i-y
Al Al is offline

Default Cutting Rafters

What's the customary way to leave rafters finished at the gutter end? Can
they be left squared off as they come from the timer yard or are you
expected to trim the ends so they're vertical?

Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Depends on what angle you want your fascia boards at. If you are not having fascias then it matters not.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/10/2019 13:10, Al wrote:

What's the customary way to leave rafters finished at the gutter end? Can
they be left squared off as they come from the timer yard or are you
expected to trim the ends so they're vertical?

Thanks

Depends on what you are building.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Al Al is offline

On Sat, 12 Oct 2019 06:33:38 -0700, Tricky Dicky wrote:

Depends on what angle you want your fascia boards at. If you are not
having fascias then it matters not.

Aha. So that's why you often see them cut vertical, then? I hadn't
thought of that; thanks!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/10/2019 13:10, Al wrote:

What's the customary way to leave rafters finished at the gutter end? Can
they be left squared off as they come from the timer yard or are you
expected to trim the ends so they're vertical?

Thanks

depends on soffits etc.

I square em both ways to horiz. and vertical

--
€śThose who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit
atrocities.€ť

€• Voltaire, Questions sur les Miracles Ă* M. Claparede, Professeur de
ThĂ©ologie Ă* Genève, par un Proposant: Ou Extrait de Diverses Lettres de
M. de Voltaire

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/10/2019 13:10, Al wrote:

What's the customary way to leave rafters finished at the gutter end? Can
they be left squared off as they come from the timer yard or are you
expected to trim the ends so they're vertical?

You normally cut them vertical so you have somewhere to mount a facia
board and gutters etc:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...neryNames2.jpg

(You might also want to trim the point off the bottom to create a
horizontal surface for fixing a soffit to in some cases)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/10/2019 14:50, John Rumm wrote:
On 12/10/2019 13:10, Al wrote:

What's the customary way to leave rafters finished at the gutter end? Can
they be left squared off as they come from the timer yard or are you
expected to trim the ends so they're vertical?

You normally cut them vertical so you have somewhere to mount a facia

fascia in this context, generally.

board and gutters etc:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...neryNames2.jpg

(You might also want to trim the point off the bottom to create a
horizontal surface for fixing a soffit to in some cases)

fully understood.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 12 Oct 2019 14:53:19 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

fascia in this context, generally.

board and gutters etc:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...neryNames2.jpg

(You might also want to trim the point off the bottom to create a
horizontal surface for fixing a soffit to in some cases)

Can't believe no one's mentioned barge boards. :-/

--
Leave first - THEN negotiate!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/10/2019 13:10, Al wrote:

What's the customary way to leave rafters finished at the gutter end?
Can
they be left squared off as they come from the timer yard or are you
expected to trim the ends so they're vertical?

You normally cut them vertical so you have somewhere to mount a facia

fascia in this context, generally.

Huh? Or was that just a comment on spelling?

(which if so, is a bit rich coming from one so accomplished at hitting
all the right keys in the right order!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
On 12/10/2019 13:10, Al wrote:

What's the customary way to leave rafters finished at the gutter
end? Can
they be left squared off as they come from the timer yard or are you
expected to trim the ends so they're vertical?

You normally cut them vertical so you have somewhere to mount a
facia

fascia in this context, generally.

Huh? Or was that just a comment on spelling?

(which if so, is a bit rich coming from one so accomplished at hitting
all the right keys in the right order!)

:-)

Wood preserver on the cut ends does no harm.

--
Tim Lamb