Tony Jester

Default Prow house rafters

Hi,
I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask this. If not, perhaps someone
could suggest another newsgroup. My question concerns the upper triangle
shaped windows in the typical prow shaped house. If the roof has a 12/12
pitch, the rafter angle in the prow wall will not be exactly 45 degrees.
Are the triangle shaped windows custom made to fit this angle? Is the roof
pitch altered to make the prow rafters exactly 45 degrees? How is this
problem normally addressed?

Thanks for any help!

Tony

Dave Jackson

snip If the roof has a 12/12
pitch, the rafter angle in the prow wall will not be exactly 45 degrees.

What makes you think this?

IME the windows have been custom made to fit the house. --dave

wrote:

Hi,
I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask this. If not, perhaps
someone
could suggest another newsgroup. My question concerns the upper triangle
shaped windows in the typical prow shaped house. If the roof has a 12/12
pitch, the rafter angle in the prow wall will not be exactly 45 degrees.
Are the triangle shaped windows custom made to fit this angle? Is the
roof
pitch altered to make the prow rafters exactly 45 degrees? How is this
problem normally addressed?

Thanks for any help!

Tony

Mike Marlow

"Tony Jester" wrote in message
. com...
Hi,
I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask this. If not, perhaps

someone
could suggest another newsgroup. My question concerns the upper triangle
shaped windows in the typical prow shaped house. If the roof has a 12/12
pitch, the rafter angle in the prow wall will not be exactly 45 degrees.

???? If it's not 45 degrees then it's not 12/12. Simple geometry.

--

-Mike-

Tony Jester

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Tony Jester" wrote in message
. com...
Hi,
I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask this. If not, perhaps

someone
could suggest another newsgroup. My question concerns the upper

triangle
shaped windows in the typical prow shaped house. If the roof has a

12/12
pitch, the rafter angle in the prow wall will not be exactly 45 degrees.

???? If it's not 45 degrees then it's not 12/12. Simple geometry.

Well, obviously. However, all the other rafter ARE 12/12 - exactly 45
degrees. BUT with a prow house, the front two rafters are swept back a
certain amount. In my case, 4 feet. This changes the rafter angle by
6/10's of a degree. Not simple geometry, but trigonometry. 6/10's of a
degree may not seem like much, but it is enough to cause a divergence of (in
my case) 3-3/4 inches in 15 feet. This can clearly been seen. What I
SHOULD have done is make the roof ridge 3-3/4 inches higher. That would
have put the other rafters at 45.6 degrees but made the prow rafters exactly
45 degrees and negated the need for custom windows. Unfortunatly I already
purchased the windows AND built the house so I don't think there is anything
I can do at this point. As I designed the house myself, I have no one else
to blame. I'm pretty bummed out at this point, but maybe it won't look that
bad. I'll have to wait until we get the window openings framed to find out.
Design and build you own house at your own risk!

Tony

Speedfit technique Arthur UK diy 615 November 23rd 04 11:50 PM
A challenge for old house lovers Mike Mitchell UK diy 322 September 30th 04 12:29 AM
Adding one more floor to the house? Possible???? AJScott Home Repair 10 February 27th 04 04:34 PM
house rebuilt year Djavdet Home Repair 27 February 20th 04 02:50 AM
Living in house while adding second floor HouseDreamer Home Repair 3 August 12th 03 03:52 AM