DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Cutting Rafters (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/640790-cutting-rafters.html)

Al October 12th 19 01:10 PM

Cutting Rafters

What's the customary way to leave rafters finished at the gutter end? Can
they be left squared off as they come from the timer yard or are you
expected to trim the ends so they're vertical?

Thanks

Tricky Dicky[_4_] October 12th 19 02:33 PM

Cutting Rafters

Depends on what angle you want your fascia boards at. If you are not having fascias then it matters not.

Richard

newshound October 12th 19 02:36 PM

Cutting Rafters

On 12/10/2019 13:10, Al wrote:

What's the customary way to leave rafters finished at the gutter end? Can
they be left squared off as they come from the timer yard or are you
expected to trim the ends so they're vertical?

Thanks

Depends on what you are building.

Al October 12th 19 02:38 PM

Cutting Rafters

On Sat, 12 Oct 2019 06:33:38 -0700, Tricky Dicky wrote:

Depends on what angle you want your fascia boards at. If you are not
having fascias then it matters not.

Aha. So that's why you often see them cut vertical, then? I hadn't
thought of that; thanks!

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] October 12th 19 02:49 PM

Cutting Rafters

On 12/10/2019 13:10, Al wrote:

What's the customary way to leave rafters finished at the gutter end? Can
they be left squared off as they come from the timer yard or are you
expected to trim the ends so they're vertical?

Thanks

depends on soffits etc.

I square em both ways to horiz. and vertical

--
€śThose who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit
atrocities.€ť

€• Voltaire, Questions sur les Miracles Ă* M. Claparede, Professeur de
ThĂ©ologie Ă* Genève, par un Proposant: Ou Extrait de Diverses Lettres de
M. de Voltaire

John Rumm October 12th 19 02:50 PM

Cutting Rafters

On 12/10/2019 13:10, Al wrote:

What's the customary way to leave rafters finished at the gutter end? Can
they be left squared off as they come from the timer yard or are you
expected to trim the ends so they're vertical?

You normally cut them vertical so you have somewhere to mount a facia
board and gutters etc:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...neryNames2.jpg

(You might also want to trim the point off the bottom to create a
horizontal surface for fixing a soffit to in some cases)

--
Cheers,

John.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] October 12th 19 02:53 PM

Cutting Rafters

On 12/10/2019 14:50, John Rumm wrote:
On 12/10/2019 13:10, Al wrote:

What's the customary way to leave rafters finished at the gutter end? Can
they be left squared off as they come from the timer yard or are you
expected to trim the ends so they're vertical?

You normally cut them vertical so you have somewhere to mount a facia

fascia in this context, generally.

board and gutters etc:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...neryNames2.jpg

(You might also want to trim the point off the bottom to create a
horizontal surface for fixing a soffit to in some cases)

fully understood.

Cursitor Doom[_6_] October 12th 19 03:38 PM

Cutting Rafters

On Sat, 12 Oct 2019 14:53:19 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

fascia in this context, generally.

board and gutters etc:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...neryNames2.jpg

(You might also want to trim the point off the bottom to create a
horizontal surface for fixing a soffit to in some cases)

Can't believe no one's mentioned barge boards. :-/

--
Leave first - THEN negotiate!

John Rumm October 12th 19 08:09 PM

Cutting Rafters

On 12/10/2019 13:10, Al wrote:

What's the customary way to leave rafters finished at the gutter end?
Can
they be left squared off as they come from the timer yard or are you
expected to trim the ends so they're vertical?

You normally cut them vertical so you have somewhere to mount a facia

fascia in this context, generally.

Huh? Or was that just a comment on spelling?

(which if so, is a bit rich coming from one so accomplished at hitting
all the right keys in the right order!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Tim Lamb[_2_] October 13th 19 09:54 AM

Cutting Rafters

In message , John
Rumm writes
On 12/10/2019 13:10, Al wrote:

What's the customary way to leave rafters finished at the gutter
end? Can
they be left squared off as they come from the timer yard or are you
expected to trim the ends so they're vertical?

You normally cut them vertical so you have somewhere to mount a
facia

fascia in this context, generally.

Huh? Or was that just a comment on spelling?

(which if so, is a bit rich coming from one so accomplished at hitting
all the right keys in the right order!)

:-)

Wood preserver on the cut ends does no harm.

--
Tim Lamb