Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Towerstat STTR/F Receiver flicking lights, heating not coming on

We have a Towerstat STTR/F thermostat (
http://www.sparksdirect.co.uk/blog/w.../06/RSRF-1.jpg ),
heating's been switched off for the summer, just switched the boiler back off
summer mode and re-paired the transmitter and receiver.

Now when the transmitter is sending through that the heating needs to come on
it is reaching the receiver, as otherwise the receiver just sits there with
the red light on and does nothing, but instead of firing up the boiler both
green and red lights are flicking on and off rapidly with a clicking sound and
you can hear the boiler trying to fire up but stopping again straight away (no
faults showing on the boiler).

Tried pairing the Tx and Rx on different channels but that doesn't seem to
make any difference, as I said above it does seem like they're actually paired
alright because when the Tx requests heating to go on that's when things start
"happening".

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...n-1387218-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Hi Josh,
Can you do a simple soldering job?

Thermostat receivers tend to use what is known as "capacitive dropper"
power supply and the special X2 rated capacitor has a tendency to go
low in value and pass insufficient current to hold the relay in, hence
the clicking and flashing.

If not this capacitor, then the reservoir electrolytic after it has
probably failed.

If you care to switch off the power, remove the cover of the receiver,
and upload a good photo of the circuit board we can tell you which
capacitors to change and where to obtain them.

Exchanges using Home Owners Hub tend to end badly because it's broken
and most of us don't like it on principle, please learn to post
directly to USENET or at a pinch, you can post to the thread using
Google.
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/uk.d...E/2HWqV6AYCAAJ

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes its odd though that there is no fault.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Graham." wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. pretended :
Thermostat receivers tend to use what is known as "capacitive dropper"
power supply and the special X2 rated capacitor has a tendency to go
low in value and pass insufficient current to hold the relay in, hence
the clicking and flashing.

All of those I have come across have the receiver installed at the
heating joint box, where there is a mains supply, so they use that
mains supply - hence no need for 'capacitive droppers'.

The receiver relay is clicking, triggering the boiler - so it sounds
more like a boiler problem.

Can the pump be confirmed to be running, when the stat is turned to
max?

Is the system only supplying central heating, no hot water?

Is it a combi boiler or heat only boiler?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. pretended :
Thermostat receivers tend to use what is known as "capacitive dropper"
power supply and the special X2 rated capacitor has a tendency to go
low in value and pass insufficient current to hold the relay in, hence
the clicking and flashing.

All of those I have come across have the receiver installed at the
heating joint box, where there is a mains supply, so they use that
mains supply - hence no need for 'capacitive droppers'.

One of us is clearly talking bollicks then, I'm happy for a show of
hands.

The receiver relay is clicking, triggering the boiler - so it sounds
more like a boiler problem.

The way I read the OP, is the receiver box is clicking rapidly and the
LEDs on same are flashing in sympathy.

Can the pump be confirmed to be running, when the stat is turned to
max?

Is the system only supplying central heating, no hot water?

Is it a combi boiler or heat only boiler?

The OP has not posted a FU, no surprise there.

I note that the image in the OP is hosted in an obscure directory on
https://www.sparksdirect.co.uk/
which appears on the face of it to be a legitimate business with a
bricks & mortar presence in Archway N19

Has HomoHub hacked the site. or is the site a scam?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%