Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default flat/cross electric screwdrivers

what are those screwdrivers called
for consumer units and some electric sockets
which are a mix of cross head and flat?

[g]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, September 19, 2019 at 11:11:28 AM UTC+1, wrote:
On Thursday, 19 September 2019 10:55:40 UTC+1, George Miles wrote:
what are those screwdrivers called
for consumer units and some electric sockets
which are a mix of cross head and flat?

[g]

pozi-slot

thanks ..

but why have 3 types?
pozi slot, phillips and pozidrive,
how annoying

[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
George Miles wrote:
On Thursday, September 19, 2019 at 11:11:28 AM UTC+1, wrote:
On Thursday, 19 September 2019 10:55:40 UTC+1, George Miles wrote:
what are those screwdrivers called
for consumer units and some electric sockets
which are a mix of cross head and flat?

[g]

pozi-slot

thanks ..

but why have 3 types?
pozi slot, phillips and pozidrive,
how annoying

I've always assumed that with pozislot screw it meant you could use either
screwdriver.. Is there realy a special screwdriver?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

these ones on ebay say pozi slot
but they dont look like it on zooming in

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Piece-1...AhHd V4vUyyZg

- symbol seems to mean flathead
+ symbol seems to mean phillips
are there symbols for pozidrive and pozislot

DIYwiki says:
"Pozislot heads will accept both pozi and slot screwdrivers."
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Screws#Pozislot

but one of mine got broken when girlfriend decided to use it somewhere
and now i'm messing up pozislot screwheads in electrical sockets...

[george]

PS lots of screw types at:
https://www.fastenerdata.co.uk/screw...7_gcw#COMBPOZI

(but not pozislot)

[g]

On Thursday, September 19, 2019 at 10:55:40 AM UTC+1, George Miles wrote:
what are those screwdrivers called
for consumer units and some electric sockets
which are a mix of cross head and flat?

[g]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Most cross-head screws on electrical items are Phillips, my old VDE set only has Phillips or flat although having said that the torque screwdriver VDE set comes with both Phillips and Pozidrive as well as flat.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tricky Dicky wrote:
Most cross-head screws on electrical items are Phillips, my old VDE set
only has Phillips or flat although having said that the torque
screwdriver VDE set comes with both Phillips and Pozidrive as well as
flat.

Richard

MK use pozidrive as does Wylex and, ISTR, Hager. Don't know about others

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

found them:

C.K T49146 VDE Modulo Screwdriver Set:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/C-K-T49146-.../dp/B002BDNM7W

Wylex use them:
https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/w...screws.141461/

but why oh why oh why ?

[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
George Miles wrote:
found them:

C.K T49146 VDE Modulo Screwdriver Set:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/C-K-T49146-.../dp/B002BDNM7W

Wylex use them:
https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/w...screws.141461/

but why oh why oh why ?

[g]

I looked at the video - it says PZ2

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tricky Dicky wrote:
Most cross-head screws on electrical items are Phillips, my old VDE set
only has Phillips or flat although having said that the torque
screwdriver VDE set comes with both Phillips and Pozidrive as well as
flat.

I'd doubt if any UK wiring accessories use Philips head. That's a US thing.

--
*The hardness of the butter is proportional to the softness of the bread *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George Miles wrote:
On Thursday, September 19, 2019 at 11:11:28 AM UTC+1, wrote:
On Thursday, 19 September 2019 10:55:40 UTC+1, George Miles wrote:
what are those screwdrivers called
for consumer units and some electric sockets
which are a mix of cross head and flat?

[g]

pozi-slot

thanks ..

but why have 3 types?
pozi slot, phillips and pozidrive,
how annoying

[g]

Three types ? have another guess,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/09/2019 10:55, George Miles wrote:
what are those screwdrivers called
for consumer units and some electric sockets
which are a mix of cross head and flat?

Modulo Screwdriver

https://www.element14.com/community/...es-them-specia

http://preview.tinyurl.com/y3suvjac
Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMH TMH is offline

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CK440003.html

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Tricky Dicky wrote:
Most cross-head screws on electrical items are Phillips, my old VDE set
only has Phillips or flat although having said that the torque
screwdriver VDE set comes with both Phillips and Pozidrive as well as
flat.

I'd doubt if any UK wiring accessories use Philips head. That's a US thing.

I was surprised to discover recently that the standard has nothing to do
with the Dutch firm of a similar name, but is an American standard.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 19/09/2019 15:43, Mike Clarke wrote:
On 19/09/2019 10:55, George Miles wrote:
what are those screwdrivers called
for consumer units and some electric sockets
which are a mix of cross head and flat?

Modulo Screwdriver

https://www.element14.com/community/...es-them-specia

http://preview.tinyurl.com/y3suvjac

So:
1. Someone thinks a that will take any kind of driver is a good idea
2. The resulting design doesn't work well with any driver.
3. Driver designed for screws that are a supposed to be a universal fit
but are in fact a poor compromise.

--
djc

(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 19 September 2019 11:58:49 UTC+1, George Miles wrote:
On Thursday, September 19, 2019 at 11:11:28 AM UTC+1, wrote:
On Thursday, 19 September 2019 10:55:40 UTC+1, George Miles wrote:
what are those screwdrivers called
for consumer units and some electric sockets
which are a mix of cross head and flat?

[g]

pozi-slot

thanks ..

but why have 3 types?
pozi slot, phillips and pozidrive,
how annoying

[g]

there are loads of types. Ain't life fun. In the soviet union there'd be one type and that would be it. But it would be a poor quality outdated type & everyone would hate it.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Confusing?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"George Miles" wrote in message
what are those screwdrivers called
for consumer units and some electric sockets
which are a mix of cross head and flat?

[g]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It gets worse. I needed to open a Sony TV once and eventually found a weird
tool that seemed to be a cross between a screwdriver and a socket with a pip
in the middle to take the self tapping screws out to merely put in a fuse
which had corroded and thus gone O/C.
I know many companies feel the whole of the public are stupid but the rar
is plastered with warnings about don't open no customer serviceable parts
inside, danger high voltage, so really!
Brian

--
----- --

wrote:
On Thursday, 19 September 2019 10:55:40 UTC+1, George Miles wrote:
what are those screwdrivers called
for consumer units and some electric sockets
which are a mix of cross head and flat?

[g]

pozi-slot

thanks ..

but why have 3 types?
pozi slot, phillips and pozidrive,
how annoying

[g]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well I do not know, but I used to use a power supply of the variable kind
bought from Tandy. It was in fact very good. Once again an internal fuse
died, and it was only then I discovered some nut has in fact riveted the top
of the case to the bottom, and I had to drill them out just to put a new
fuse inside. There are some strange things and ideas in this world, I have
come to accept this as normal.
Take the instance of the humble telescopic aerial on a radio. On one very
well known model with a G at both ends of its name, after a year or so, the
mounting for the aerial would pull out of the set before the full length
was untelescoped. On examination, the only thing holding it in was a tiny
groove in the aerial, and a sprung clip that was on the outside of its
socket in which it rotated. The clip simply did not have enough spring in it
to stop the thing slipping over the top of the tiny slot as it wore.

Designers decisions on things are sometimes a little odd, or is it that
somebody trying to reduce costs or make health and safety decisions simple
intervenes and we end up with the resultant screw, screwdriver or other
mechanical part.
Come to think of it, My Sub Woofer died one day, and as I now cannot see to
fix such things, the chap who did told me that in fact the bridge rectifier
had died. He said it was a model which was only rated just above the mean
current of the unit, but whenever it was turned on, merely charging up the
capacitors overran it, and it was just going to go in the end. He had thus
had to fit a bigger one, which of course did not fit the pcb holes and had
to be mounted differently. However it has been very good otherwise, and the
rest of the design is good. Another case of penny pinching by a person who
does not know about surges in current.

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"charles" wrote in message
wrote:
On Thursday, 19 September 2019 10:55:40 UTC+1, George Miles wrote:
what are those screwdrivers called
for consumer units and some electric sockets
which are a mix of cross head and flat?

[g]

pozi-slot

thanks ..

but why have 3 types?
pozi slot, phillips and pozidrive,
how annoying

I've always assumed that with pozislot screw it meant you could use either
screwdriver.. Is there realy a special screwdriver?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In the old days, the tv factory used self tapping screws and air driven
screwdrivers to fit them They were more or less socket hex type heads, but
many of the screws used for parts designed to be removed to get PCBs out or
to change settings or valves had also a pozi or Philips head inside the hex
outside. I even saw some with an ordinary slot which broke through the hex
part, but these did tend to fall to bits on insert since the slot
compressed and the drive slipped.
Even so trying to remove any of these in the filled with a screwdriver was
almost impossible due to the torque used to put them in and most engineers
had a socket set with them. Perhaps not as safe as an insulated screwdriver
around CRTs and capacitors that might still hold a charge, but I never
heard of a fatality!

Brian

--
----- --

wrote:
On Thursday, 19 September 2019 10:55:40 UTC+1, George Miles wrote:
what are those screwdrivers called
for consumer units and some electric sockets
which are a mix of cross head and flat?

[g]

pozi-slot

thanks ..

but why have 3 types?
pozi slot, phillips and pozidrive,
how annoying

[g]

there are loads of types. Ain't life fun. In the soviet union there'd be
one type and that would be it. But it would be a poor quality outdated
type & everyone would hate it.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
[...]

I don’t buy that. All power diodes have much higher surge ratings than the
continuous rating.

"charles" wrote in message
wrote:
On Thursday, 19 September 2019 10:55:40 UTC+1, George Miles wrote:
what are those screwdrivers called
for consumer units and some electric sockets
which are a mix of cross head and flat?

[g]

pozi-slot

thanks ..

but why have 3 types?
pozi slot, phillips and pozidrive,
how annoying

I've always assumed that with pozislot screw it meant you could use
either
screwdriver.. Is there realy a special screwdriver?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 20 Sep 2019 18:30:45 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I don¢t buy that.

No intelligent person should give a **** what you buy or don't buy, senile
idiot!

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , briang1
@blueyonder.co.uk says...

In the old days, the tv factory used self tapping screws and air driven
screwdrivers to fit them They were more or less socket hex type heads, but
many of the screws used for parts designed to be removed to get PCBs out or
to change settings or valves had also a pozi or Philips head inside the hex
outside. I even saw some with an ordinary slot which broke through the hex
part, but these did tend to fall to bits on insert since the slot
compressed and the drive slipped.

All the ones I remember - mainly on Bush sets - didn't have
any provision for screwdriver removal at all.

Even so trying to remove any of these in the filled with a screwdriver was
almost impossible due to the torque used to put them in and most engineers
had a socket set with them.

Yes - the hex heads had rounded corners between the flats and
the flats sloped slightly - obviously intended for the tool
that they were fitted with to mate with them as quickly as
possible. Thus attempting to use pliers to remove them was
usually impossible as closing the jaws just fired them off the
sloping flats!

--

Terry

---
https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:

but why have 3 types?
pozi slot, phillips and pozidrive,
how annoying

I've always assumed that with pozislot screw it meant you could use either
screwdriver.. Is there realy a special screwdriver?

That's my take on it too. However I do think that it's rather a bad
idea as neither PoziDriv nor an ordinary slotted screwdriver fits very
well. A Pozi is slightly better and has the advantage of being easier
to locate in the screw but I'd still really prefer *either* slotted
*or* Pozi.

--
Chris Green
·

Screwdrivers, electric or hand? Sonnich Jensen Woodworking 20 June 16th 12 02:20 PM
Where to buy long bits for electric assembly screwdrivers? Bob E. Electronics Repair 10 April 4th 12 03:57 AM
Hammer Drills for Electric Screwdrivers mcp6453[_2_] Home Repair 21 February 1st 12 04:30 PM
Screwdrivers Doki UK diy 2 August 24th 03 08:40 PM
drills / screwdrivers Ginger_neil UK diy 9 July 28th 03 12:08 AM