Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default PC problem.

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

It already turns on via the button.
It doesn't shut it down.

I was trying to eliminate the motherboard from the equation, not much
point buying a new PSU to check with, if it's not the problem ...

The fact that the PS fans don't run at switch on seems odd. But do when
you press the reset button.

Yeah, very unusual symptom. You should state the model number
of that PS and the motherboard.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew" wrote in message
On 19/09/2019 16:40, Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

The fact that the PS fans don't run at switch on seems odd. But do when
you press the reset button.

yes, a delay on the cpu/motherboards fans I could understand, if the SMM
takes a while to initialise, but not generally the PSU fan.

If you unplug all the PS connectorss from the MB, disks etc
and turn it on does the PS fan blow, or does it need a load
to do anything ?.

Not a load, but it does need the signal from the motherboard to turn
on. That can be kludged from the +5 standby line.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

The fact that the PS fans don't run at switch on seems odd. But do
when you press the reset button.

yes, a delay on the cpu/motherboards fans I could understand, if the
SMM takes a while to initialise, but not generally the PSU fan.

If you unplug all the PS connectorss from the MB, disks etc and turn it
on does the PS fan blow, or does it need a load to do anything ?.

Won't work as it stands. You need to short a particular pair of pins on
the big connector.

I wouldn't be without my cheap Chinese PSU testr. Saves a lot of time and
effort.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 20 Sep 2019 06:03:55 +1000, jeikppkywk, better known as cantankerous

Not a load, but it does need the signal from the motherboard to turn
on. That can be kludged from the +5 standby line.

I just checked this thread. Looks like you get ignored by EVERYONE now
(except for me), you trolling senile cretin! LOL

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 20 Sep 2019 05:25:01 +1000, jeikppkywk, better known as cantankerous

Yeah, very unusual symptom. You should state the model number
of that PS and the motherboard.

STILL desperately trying to get a feedback out of SOMEONE, you miserable
trolling asshole? KEEP trying! LOL

--
addressing nym-shifting senile Rodent:
"You on the other hand are a heavyweight bull****ter who demonstrates

Posted to uk.d-i-y

jeikppkywk wrote:

it does need the signal from the motherboard to turn
on. That can be kludged from the +5 standby line.

The +5VSB pin (purple) isn't involved in turning on a PSU, just short
the PWR_ON pin (green) to any GND pin (black) ... unless it's an older DELL.