Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Looking for info on this timeswitch

https://postimg.cc/WqRBBYN6

There's no model number as far as I can see in its cramped location.
I don't have a clue what all the buttons switches and dials do.
Any info would be much appreciated.
--

Mike

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/09/19 07:39, Mike Halmarack wrote:

https://postimg.cc/WqRBBYN6

There's no model number as far as I can see in its cramped location.
I don't have a clue what all the buttons switches and dials do.
Any info would be much appreciated.

It's an immersion heater timer. There are slight differences as your is
an older model, but it is basically this timer:
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SMTS900.html
The instruction sheet can be downloaded at the same page.

If you search for Smiths immersion heater timer you might even find info
on your model.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Halmarack wrote:

Any info would be much appreciated.

Just stick the metal pins into the holes at the time(s) you want it to
turn on (inner holes) and off (outer holes) spin the dial until the red
line shows the current time, and slide the red knob down into the "on"
position ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 Sep 2019 07:49:58 +0100, Jeff Layman
wrote:

On 14/09/19 07:39, Mike Halmarack wrote:

https://postimg.cc/WqRBBYN6

There's no model number as far as I can see in its cramped location.
I don't have a clue what all the buttons switches and dials do.
Any info would be much appreciated.

It's an immersion heater timer. There are slight differences as your is
an older model, but it is basically this timer:
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SMTS900.html
The instruction sheet can be downloaded at the same page.

If you search for Smiths immersion heater timer you might even find info
on your model.

Very useful link and download, thanks.
Didn't find the exact pdf on the Timeguard site but came pretty close.
--

Mike

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 Sep 2019 07:53:16 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

Mike Halmarack wrote:

Any info would be much appreciated.

Just stick the metal pins into the holes at the time(s) you want it to
turn on (inner holes) and off (outer holes) spin the dial until the red
line shows the current time, and slide the red knob down into the "on"
position ...

Clear and simple. Should work for me.
--

Mike

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 Sep 2019 08:05:12 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Sat, 14 Sep 2019 07:39:53 +0100, Mike Halmarack
wrote:

https://postimg.cc/WqRBBYN6

There's no model number as far as I can see in its cramped location.
I don't have a clue what all the buttons switches and dials do.
Any info would be much appreciated.

Those little round silver things are the heads of pins that you put
into the holes around the rim to switch a device on or off; they're
not buttons. There are six pins in total, two around the rim and four
spare in the centre, waiting to be used if you need them. You pull
them out of their holes and reposition them as needed. The rim can be
turned to set the clock to the correct time by the milled edge on the
right hand side. The little red button is an over-ride switch - it
moves up and down by a small amount. It's usually not possible to
operate the over-ride switch when the clock is about to turn on or off
under the control of the pins.

I really should be able to make some headway with the detailed info
I've received. Thanks
--

Mike

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 14/09/19 07:39, Mike Halmarack wrote:

https://postimg.cc/WqRBBYN6

There's no model number as far as I can see in its cramped location.
I don't have a clue what all the buttons switches and dials do.
Any info would be much appreciated.

It's an immersion heater timer. There are slight differences as your is
an older model, but it is basically this timer:
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SMTS900.html
The instruction sheet can be downloaded at the same page.

If you search for Smiths immersion heater timer you might even find info
on your model.

Very useful link and download, thanks.
Didn't find the exact pdf on the Timeguard site but came pretty close.

Maybe it predates pdf ;-)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 14 September 2019 07:39:44 UTC+1, Mike Halmarack wrote:
There's no model number as far as I can see in its cramped location.
I don't have a clue what all the buttons switches and dials do.
Any info would be much appreciated.

Don't take it apart to see how it works inside.

I tried that once.

Minimum on-off time is half an hour.

Let me know here if you need any more spare setting pins as I have loads.

Smiths Industries Ltd goes back 1967, but originally founded in 1851 as a clockmaker. Definately pre-PDF!

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 14/09/19 07:39, Mike Halmarack wrote:

https://postimg.cc/WqRBBYN6

There's no model number as far as I can see in its cramped location.
I don't have a clue what all the buttons switches and dials do.
Any info would be much appreciated.

It's an immersion heater timer. There are slight differences as your is
an older model, but it is basically this timer:
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SMTS900.html
The instruction sheet can be downloaded at the same page.

If you search for Smiths immersion heater timer you might even find info
on your model.

Very useful link and download, thanks.
Didn't find the exact pdf on the Timeguard site but came pretty close.

Maybe it predates pdf ;-)

Of course! Silly me.
--

Mike

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 14/09/19 07:39, Mike Halmarack wrote:

https://postimg.cc/WqRBBYN6

There's no model number as far as I can see in its cramped location.
I don't have a clue what all the buttons switches and dials do.
Any info would be much appreciated.

It's an immersion heater timer. There are slight differences as your is
an older model, but it is basically this timer:
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SMTS900.html
The instruction sheet can be downloaded at the same page.

If you search for Smiths immersion heater timer you might even find info
on your model.

Very useful link and download, thanks.
Didn't find the exact pdf on the Timeguard site but came pretty close.

I have the later 'digital' version, which was 'made in england'
and never goes wrong, whereas the 13amp plug-in electronic
Smith timer that I use to run my fridge has to be plugged into
an old BT surge protector (ex exchange) otherwise it loses
all its settings randomely every 24-36 hours.

The latter timer is 'made in china'.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Don't drop the pins, they disappear into carpet ...

These timers regularly appear at boot sales as people chuck out
hot water cylinders in favour of combis.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 Sep 2019 11:38:11 +0100, Robin wrote:

On 14/09/2019 10:37, Mike Halmarack wrote:
On Sat, 14 Sep 2019 02:15:03 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Saturday, 14 September 2019 07:39:44 UTC+1, Mike Halmarack wrote:
There's no model number as far as I can see in its cramped location.
I don't have a clue what all the buttons switches and dials do.
Any info would be much appreciated.

Don't take it apart to see how it works inside.

I tried that once.

Minimum on-off time is half an hour.

Let me know here if you need any more spare setting pins as I have loads.

Smiths Industries Ltd goes back 1967, but originally founded in 1851 as a clockmaker. Definately pre-PDF!

Owain

INow you mention it, this place was built in the early to mid
seventies. So pre PDF for sure. I would never have thought of that if
it hadn't been pointed out.

But some manufacturers put online scans of manuals etc that pre-date
PDFs by a long march. Eg I downloaded last year from Singer a manual
from the 1960s for someone's sewing machine.

I've got a pretty clear idea now, thanks to helpful responses to my
intial post. I'd like to search further for the sake of it but I can't
see a serial number anywhere and I've done a lot of searching by image
without scoring any direct hits.
--

Mike

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

My immersion heater timer (not plug in) is telling me nowt.
Neither model name, number or origin. I'm quite hopeful that it's now
working correctly though.
--

Mike

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/09/2019 07:53, Andy Burns wrote:
Mike Halmarack wrote:

Any info would be much appreciated.

Just stick the metal pins into the holes at the time(s) you want it to
turn on (inner holes) and off (outer holes) spin the dial until the red
line shows the current time, and slide the red knob down into the "on"
position ...

The red nob can be moved at any time, either to ON or OFF to ovrride the
current setting.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare wrote:

The red nob can be moved at any time, either to ON or OFF to ovrride the
current setting.

Probably, I'm more familiar with the type
that has an "off/once/twice/on" switch
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 14 September 2019 07:39:44 UTC+1, Mike Halmarack wrote:
https://postimg.cc/WqRBBYN6

There's no model number as far as I can see in its cramped location.
I don't have a clue what all the buttons switches and dials do.
Any info would be much appreciated.

The only other bit of info to add is that when you have more pins than you want switching events, put the spare pins where they won't switch. Eg put them in the off ring after it's already switched off by a previous pin.

FWIW I think these are the best of the various timer types. All types have their compromises, with these it's half hourly switching at closest & risk of losing pins. And finite number of pins. You can of course use them as rundown timers too.

I assume someone mentioned you turn the dial to set the time. It only goes one way.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 Sep 2019 04:11:22 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Saturday, 14 September 2019 07:39:44 UTC+1, Mike Halmarack wrote:
https://postimg.cc/WqRBBYN6

There's no model number as far as I can see in its cramped location.
I don't have a clue what all the buttons switches and dials do.
Any info would be much appreciated.

The only other bit of info to add is that when you have more pins than you want switching events, put the spare pins where they won't switch. Eg put them in the off ring after it's already switched off by a previous pin.

FWIW I think these are the best of the various timer types. All types have their compromises, with these it's half hourly switching at closest & risk of losing pins. And finite number of pins. You can of course use them as rundown timers too.

I assume someone mentioned you turn the dial to set the time. It only goes one way.

NT

Thanks. I'm really starting to get comfortable with this now.
--

Mike

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Halmarack wrote:

Any info would be much appreciated.

Just stick the metal pins into the holes at the time(s) you want it to
turn on (inner holes) and off (outer holes) spin the dial until the red
line shows the current time, and slide the red knob down into the "on"
position ...

The red nob can be moved at any time, either to ON or OFF to ovrride the
current setting.

Yes thanks I've been trying it out and it seems to function OK.
I'm finding that twiddling one's little red know can become quite
addictive.
--

Mike

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/09/2019 12:20, Mike Halmarack wrote:
[...]

The only problem with them is that the little plastic worm gear wears
out and they stop going around.
You can sometimes fix it by moving the worm a mm or two on its shaft.
I have cannibalised a cheaper plug in one to fit the worm into a boiler
timer in the past when the worm had worn too much.

they do last a long time though I only did it once in the thirty odd
years I used the boiler.