Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tracing path of jointed arm

Not even sure that's a good title - google didn't seem to find
anything relevant.
I've got a TV mounting bracket, with 3 pivot points:
- one on the plate that fixes to the back of the TV (it's
horizontrally central on the TV)
- one on the wall mounting plate
- and one where the two arms meet.
However the wall arm is twice the length of the TV arm,
so when the TV is pushed against the wall it's offset from the
centreline of the wall bracket.
Since I'm mounting the TV in an alcove, with not much clerance either
side, I want to plot out the "swing envelope" to check it will fit,
and just where to mount the wall plate.
Is there any bit of software (Windows) that will do this, or help in
some way, or might I just as easily knock up a dummy frame, mount the
bracket and add a piece of timber the width of the TV and trace the
thing out on a table top?

I've always been fascinated by how people design complex hinge
systems, when I can't even visualise a simple TV bracket's trajectory.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/09/2019 15:55, Davidm wrote:
[...]

I would knock-up a quick prototype, as you've described - you'll have an
answer that you believe long before you will have found and learned how
to use a piece of software.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Inverse kinematics.
I use Autodesk Inventor for complex mechanisms.
I am sure other software is available.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I had a similar situation - I just attached the bracket to the TV, folded the bracket into its closed position and put the TV in the middle of the alcove and marked the wall with the position of the attachment plate.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Murmansk Wrote in message:
I had a similar situation - I just attached the bracket to the TV, folded the bracket into its closed position and put the TV in the middle of the alcove and marked the wall with the position of the attachment plate.

With a very short pencil & a very long arm?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 10 September 2019 15:55:08 UTC+1, Davidm wrote:
[...]

The reason for it is that when the TV is pushed back to the wall, the wall mount and the TV mount don't collide so the TV goes back much further.

It's easier to think about if you imagine the TV and wall to be always parallel.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If I follow correctly, the centre of the bracket that goes into the TV would be the centre of the when the TV is against the wall. So if you position that in the centre you can mark the holes for the fixing bracket to the wall.

Given the 3 hinges, I think (you could validate by putting it on the floor) but you would be able to move the TV out perpendicular to the wall and whilst keeping the TV parallel to the wall. The 2 arms / TV bracket would pivot to a greater or lesser extent to accommodate.

I may be visualising your setup incorrectly?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

A very interesting question. I once worked in a research group who were
looking at this for generalised cases (and much more, in that they
included friction and also the dynamic as well as static loading).

Since commercial TV brackets are *very* simple I would just knock up a
full scale mock up using 18x38 batten and M6 coach screws as others have
suggested.

Unless you are *already* using Autodesk, Inventor, or one of existing
packages.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Sep 2019 13:14:25 -0700 (PDT), Murmansk
wrote:

I had a similar situation - I just attached the bracket to the TV, folded the bracket into its closed position and put the TV in the middle of the alcove and marked the wall with the position of the attachment plate.

With an offset bracket the TV is going to move sideways as you pull it
out, and if there's only 1cm clearance each side.......
I'd rather work out if it will fit before I go drilling fixing holes
for masonry bolt.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Sep 2019 10:06:25 -0700 (PDT), Lee Nowell
wrote:

If I follow correctly, the centre of the bracket that goes into the TV would be the centre of the when the TV is against the wall. So if you position that in the centre you can mark the holes for the fixing bracket to the wall.

Yes, it's not the marking out that's my concern, it's if the TV can
pull straight out from the wall for 25cm or so, and then far enough
that it can be rotated about 35 degrees without one side of the screen
getting obscured by the alcove.

Given the 3 hinges, I think (you could validate by putting it on the floor) but you would be able to move the TV out perpendicular to the wall and whilst keeping the TV parallel to the wall. The 2 arms / TV bracket would pivot to a greater or lesser extent to accommodate.

I may be visualising your setup incorrectly?

I think I'll just mock something up, using the real bracket.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Would be interested in your findings but as I see it (also checked with a ruler and pencil mock up) because there are 2 arms independently rotating, you can pull the TV out straight with no sideways movement.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

If I follow correctly, the centre of the bracket that goes into the TV would be the centre of the when the TV is against the wall. So if you position that in the centre you can mark the holes for the fixing bracket to the wall.

Yes, it's not the marking out that's my concern, it's if the TV can
pull straight out from the wall for 25cm or so, and then far enough
that it can be rotated about 35 degrees without one side of the screen
getting obscured by the alcove.

Given the 3 hinges, I think (you could validate by putting it on the floor) but you would be able to move the TV out perpendicular to the wall and whilst keeping the TV parallel to the wall. The 2 arms / TV bracket would pivot to a greater or lesser extent to accommodate.

I may be visualising your setup incorrectly?

I think I'll just mock something up, using the real bracket.

That would be the best plan.

We could do with some more dimensions. It sounds as if with the TV
against the wall, it fits with 1cm to spare either side in the
parallel-sided alcove. Let's say the TV is width w and depth d, and
the arms are b and 2b and short enough to be within the confines of w.

You say the TV is offset from the wall pivot when against the wall, so
that means that b is greater than d/2, too long to allow the wall
pivot to be immediately behind the centre of the TV.

You should make the wall pivot as near as possible to the centre of
the TV when it's against the wall, to gain the maximum possible
distance that the TV can be brought forward. That would be 3b if the
wall pivot was in line, but less if not.

You say you don't want the TV to be obscured by the alcove when
tilted, which means the depth of the alcove is too great for the TV to
be swung in front of it?
--
Dave W