Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Finger-Jointed Cedar Siding ?

Hello,

Anybody have any experience, good or bad, with finger-jointed horizontal
clapboard Cedar siding ?

e.g., stuff last, joints become visible with time, etc.

Or, is it really "good" these days, what with gluing technology advances ?

Thanks,
B.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Robert11 wrote:
Hello,

Anybody have any experience, good or bad, with finger-jointed horizontal
clapboard Cedar siding ?

e.g., stuff last, joints become visible with time, etc.

Or, is it really "good" these days, what with gluing technology advances ?

I've never had finger-jointed exterior anything hold under any weather
at all for any length of time. I'd avoid it like the plague whatever
anybody else has to say, personally...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Robert11 wrote:
Hello,

Anybody have any experience, good or bad, with finger-jointed horizontal
clapboard Cedar siding ?

e.g., stuff last, joints become visible with time, etc.

Or, is it really "good" these days, what with gluing technology advances ?

No experience with cedar siding, but I got some finger jointed brick
mold that was hopeless crap; the different grains in the wood made
many (not all) of the boards twist and warp like mad. To be fair, some
mills may have better quality standards than others. Smaller trim
moldings don't seem to be as bad based on the current stock at the
borg. If you do buy the siding, it might be prudent to store it in
approved fashion for some months before using. HTH

Joe