Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Finger Jointed Cedar Clapboard Pieces ?

Hello,

Just curious.

Regarding Cedar clapboard siding (the horizontal kind), do folks still
consider using the lengths that
are comprised from two (or more ?) pieces, and finger-jointed together with
some glue ?

Is it even available anymore ? "Much" cheaper than good quality single
length pieces ?

How has it held up in practice ?

Thanks,
B.
Posted to alt.home.repair

`

I'm sure it is.
Not sure how much, but probably a fair amount.
IME, finger-jointed stuff for exterior use has failed uniformly.

For the last reason I won't use it for anything except some cheaper
installations and then only interior (casing, etc.)

I have seen finger jointed material fail in interior applications also.
Maybe "this" time they got it right.

The composition siding it properly maintained (painted) seems to do quite
well. It's one the back of a townhouse my wife owns. Our house is in
good shape. But the stuff is starting to swell on the house next door.
Time in place is on the order of 35 years!

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Robert11 wrote:
consider using ... finger-jointed ...

Is it even available anymore ? "Much" cheaper than good quality single
length pieces ?

How has it held up in practice ?

I'm sure it is.
Not sure how much, but probably a fair amount.
IME, finger-jointed stuff for exterior use has failed uniformly.

For the last reason I won't use it for anything except some cheaper
installations and then only interior (casing, etc.)

Cost differential between cedar shakes and clapboard? jtpr Home Repair 1 January 31st 07 02:47 PM
Finger jointed crown with primer question [email protected] Woodworking 1 January 27th 07 01:20 AM
clapboard vs hardie steve Woodworking 0 October 20th 06 03:03 PM
Wood Clapboard Types ? Robert11 Home Repair 1 June 26th 06 01:02 AM
How can I know how straight a jointed edge is? POP_Server=pop.clara.net Woodworking 2 December 21st 04 01:32 AM