Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default MR16 lamps

I have a light fitting - bars with slidable lampholders - powered from a
circular transformer.Torroidal?

I changed one halogen for a LED. Can I continue to change all 4 - or will
this cause problems due the reduced load on the transformer?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 31 August 2019 09:29:13 UTC+1, John wrote:
I have a light fitting - bars with slidable lampholders - powered from a
circular transformer.Torroidal?

I changed one halogen for a LED. Can I continue to change all 4 - or will
this cause problems due the reduced load on the transformer?

The toroidal output voltage will rise a bit if they're all changed. That will affect LED life expectancy to some degree - it's still going to be cheaper to run than halogens though. You may want to avoid cheapskate on the edge lamps, they would be harder hit.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/2019 09:29, John wrote:
I have a light fitting - bars with slidable lampholders - powered from a
circular transformer.Torroidal?

I changed one halogen for a LED. Can I continue to change all 4 - or will
this cause problems due the reduced load on the transformer?

Should be fine

I'd be less happy about an electronic transformer

foolish, and by the rulers as useful.

(Seneca the Younger, 65 AD)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 31/08/2019 09:29, John wrote:
I have a light fitting - bars with slidable lampholders - powered from a
circular transformer.Torroidal?

I changed one halogen for a LED. Can I continue to change all 4 - or will
this cause problems due the reduced load on the transformer?

If it does not work is usually quite easy to swap the transformer.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in
:

It really depends on how efficient the transformer is, if its pretty
good then inefficiencies should be low and the rise in volts minimal.
Does the transformer get very warm when driving all halogens?
Brian

Brian - I don't know. I guess I could take out 3 halogens and see if the
only LED I currently have survives.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 31 August 2019 17:34:18 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
I think his issue is of possibly overdriving the leds.
Depends very much on the quality of both items.
Brian

No possibility, it's a certainty. Quality, not really.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/2019 09:29, John wrote:
I have a light fitting - bars with slidable lampholders - powered from a
circular transformer.Torroidal?

I changed one halogen for a LED. Can I continue to change all 4 - or will
this cause problems due the reduced load on the transformer?

Should be fine

I'd be less happy about an electronic transformer

Electronic ones generally work if you leave one halogen in the set.

One I had worked fine with only LEDs for over 12 months and then started
flashing the whole lot on and off. Two different replacements units
flashed too. One halogen in the set and all worked fine again.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/2019 22:18, Steve Walker wrote:
On 31/08/2019 09:29, John wrote:
I have a light fitting - bars with slidable lampholders - powered from a
circular transformer.Torroidal?

I changed one halogen for a LED. Can I continue to change all 4 - or
will
this cause problems due the reduced load on the transformer?

Should be fine

I'd be less happy about an electronic transformer

Electronic ones generally work if you leave one halogen in the set.

One I had worked fine with only LEDs for over 12 months and then started
flashing the whole lot on and off. Two different replacements units
flashed too. One halogen in the set and all worked fine again.

SteveW

I had a set of 4 halogens (200W total) running from a large toroidal
transformer and replaced with LEDs around 2.5 years ago. I've seen no
problems with the operation or longevity of the LEDs so far. The MR16
are fitted in small clamps attached to a pair of suspended wires and
therefore are totally in free air which provides better ventilation than
the same if fitted into enclosed lamp holders.

MR16 Lamps DerbyBorn[_5_] UK diy 1 August 7th 14 01:23 PM
LED MR16 Bulb. Alec UK diy 3 July 29th 06 12:41 AM
MR16 Halogen bulb Kathy Home Repair 4 March 6th 06 01:49 PM
MR16 - low voltage or line voltage [email protected] Home Repair 4 January 11th 06 06:24 PM
O.T. Making clear lamps into amber lamps NokNokMan Metalworking 14 October 12th 05 05:46 PM