Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default MR16 Lamps

I have a fitting with 4 MR16 lamps and I would like ot consider changing to
LEDs.
In the base is a round transformer. Am I right in thinking that I need a
certain minimum load on this and I may have to retain at least one halogen
lamp to do this.
Alternatively should I remove the transformer and fit an LED Driver.

Any suggestions? It is the type where the lampholder can be slid along
conductive bars.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/08/2014 13:14, DerbyBorn wrote:
I have a fitting with 4 MR16 lamps and I would like ot consider changing to
LEDs.
In the base is a round transformer. Am I right in thinking that I need a
certain minimum load on this and I may have to retain at least one halogen
lamp to do this.

If its a transformer there should be no need for a minimum load.
The lamp needs to work with 12V AC with a reasonably large tolerance,
which they all do AFAICS.

Its SMPSUs that need a minimum load.
LED drivers are just a SMPSU that is designed to work at very low loads
and still give a constant voltage..

Alternatively should I remove the transformer and fit an LED Driver.

It might save you a tiny amount of electricity if you do.

Any suggestions? It is the type where the lampholder can be slid along
conductive bars.

Make sure there is plenty of ventilation, if the base gets hot the LEDs
will fail early.

MR16 LED ? Rick Hughes[_5_] UK diy 7 December 31st 13 03:29 PM
MR16 Halogen to LED F[_2_] UK diy 16 November 23rd 13 07:50 AM
MR16/GU5.3 The Medway Handyman UK diy 1 October 23rd 13 09:21 PM
LED MR16 Bulb. Alec UK diy 3 July 29th 06 12:41 AM
O.T. Making clear lamps into amber lamps NokNokMan Metalworking 14 October 12th 05 05:46 PM