Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Connect downpipe to flush mechanism

I don't think this is doable but I said I'd ask. Old flush high level mechanism was replaced with new one, and the new one is crap in comparison, it keeps sticking & I've not found any reason why, it's A1 ok when out of the cistern. He wants the old one back if possible.

The old one the fixing nut was jammed on, had to angle grind it off, so there are 2 problems.
1. The projecting threaded brass is too short - thre's a lot of thread but the plastic cistern is very deep at that point. So I doubt it's fixinnable
2. I don't see how to connect the downpipe to it
Non-problems:
3. the cut off end is rough, but that can be tidied up

Is there some way to connect the downpipe?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Would something like this work?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mcalpine-...questid=108942

Connect it to the brass inside the cistern and then thread it through the hole and connect downpipe to it. Not sure how your setup seals the hole in the cistern but that would have to be done here too obviously.

I did a quick Google for Plumbing thread extenders which came up with a few variations on this.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I don't think this is doable but I said I'd ask. Old flush high level
mechanism was replaced with new one, and the new one is crap in
comparison, it keeps sticking & I've not found any reason why, it's A1 ok
when out of the cistern. He wants the old one back if possible.

The old one the fixing nut was jammed on, had to angle grind it off, so
there are 2 problems. 1. The projecting threaded brass is too short -
thre's a lot of thread but the plastic cistern is very deep at that point.
So I doubt it's fixinnable 2. I don't see how to connect the downpipe to
it Non-problems: 3. the cut off end is rough, but that can be tidied up

Is there some way to connect the downpipe?

NT

If there is a few mm of brass thread showing you could use a female BSP
to solvent weld adapter, easily available, to double as connection and
backnut. If there is no thread showing, is the cistern thick part wide
enough to counterbore it at about 3" diameter? Not sure how, a
router??
--

Roger Hayter

how do I connect a quick connect to a kohler faucet [email protected] Home Repair 12 June 12th 16 05:59 PM
Will a Cast Downpipe into a Plastic Downpipe BT Newsgroup UK diy 7 March 5th 13 10:08 AM
toilet flush mechanism andyv UK diy 1 August 4th 11 12:36 PM
Low Level Cistern - Connect Overflow to Flush Pipe TheScullster UK diy 13 March 7th 07 04:41 PM
How do I connect a 1.25" PVC-U pipe to the flush 50mm plain female water inlet of a WC pan? Peter UK diy 0 August 3rd 05 11:06 PM