Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Giant RC model aircraft

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7-lUBm-Guw
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 27 August 2019 12:14:41 UTC+1, harry wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7-lUBm-Guw

Wow they are big.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 27 August 2019 12:14:41 UTC+1, harry wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7-lUBm-Guw

Wow they are big.

Some of those things look real, could use them for realistic movie making.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/08/2019 13:50, whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 27 August 2019 12:14:41 UTC+1, harry wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7-lUBm-Guw

Wow they are big.

So do they use baby jet engines?

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/08/2019 15:40, FMurtz wrote:
whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 27 August 2019 12:14:41 UTC+1, harryÂ* wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7-lUBm-Guw

Wow they are big.

Some of those things look real, could use them for realistic movie making.

They do. qaurter and half or even 2/3d sale models are a lot easier to
film to look 'realistic'

twenty-first centurys developed world went into hysterical panic over a
globally average temperature increase of a few tenths of a degree, and,
on the basis of gross exaggerations of highly uncertain computer
projections combined into implausible chains of inference, proceeded to
contemplate a rollback of the industrial age.

Richard Lindzen

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave was thinking very hard :
Wow they are big.

No they are not models, that is the modern day RAF Þ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/08/2019 19:13, Michael Chare wrote:
On 27/08/2019 13:50, whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 27 August 2019 12:14:41 UTC+1, harryÂ* wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7-lUBm-Guw

Wow they are big.

So do they use baby jet engines?

Some do, yes. Not so baby either

--
Its easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.
Mark Twain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/08/2019 12:14, harry wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7-lUBm-Guw

Wow, some people have too much time and money!

I remember watching someone flying a four engine turbo prop passenger
plane (maybe a Britannia) with a six foot wingspan a good many years
ago, but some of these take it to a new level.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
newshound wrote:
On 27/08/2019 12:14, harry wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7-lUBm-Guw

Wow, some people have too much time and money!

I remember watching someone flying a four engine turbo prop passenger
plane (maybe a Britannia) with a six foot wingspan a good many years
ago, but some of these take it to a new level.

I remember seeing a Lancaster with a jet engine underneath the fuselage. I
think it was the engine destined for the Vulcan.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:
On 27/08/2019 12:14, harry wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7-lUBm-Guw

Wow, some people have too much time and money!

I remember watching someone flying a four engine turbo prop passenger
plane (maybe a Britannia) with a six foot wingspan a good many years
ago, but some of these take it to a new level.

Many years ago I used to be in the hobby. Yes, these big planes are
impressive on the ground, but when screaming about in the sky they could be
anything.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"FMurtz" wrote in message
whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 27 August 2019 12:14:41 UTC+1, harry wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7-lUBm-Guw

Wow they are big.

Some of those things look real, could use them for realistic movie making.

Dunno, they bounce around a lot more than the real thing does.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Aug 2019 06:58:35 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Some of those things look real, could use them for realistic movie making.

Dunno, they bounce around a lot more than the real thing does.

LOL In auto-contradicting mode again, you clinically insane
auto-contradicting senile pest?

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/08/2019 20:33, newshound wrote:
On 27/08/2019 12:14, harry wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7-lUBm-Guw

Wow, some people have too much time and money!

I remember watching someone flying a four engine turbo prop passenger
plane (maybe a Britannia) with a six foot wingspan a good many years
ago, but some of these take it to a new level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hcy7A0wYwxo

1/2 scale tiggie

--
The New Left are the people they warned you about.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/08/2019 20:33, newshound wrote:
On 27/08/2019 12:14, harry wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7-lUBm-Guw

Wow, some people have too much time and money!

I remember watching someone flying a four engine turbo prop passenger
plane (maybe a Britannia) with a six foot wingspan a good many years
ago, but some of these take it to a new level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yf_QTbDeWM

Watch a 1/2 scale jet fighter come to pieces in mid air

--
"The most difficult subjects can be explained to the most slow witted
man if he has not formed any idea of them already; but the simplest

- Leo Tolstoy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Tue, 27 Aug 2019 19:13:53 +0100, Michael Chare
wrote:

On 27/08/2019 13:50, whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 27 August 2019 12:14:41 UTC+1, harry wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7-lUBm-Guw

Wow they are big.

So do they use baby jet engines?

http://tinyurl.com/yxffttlo

Fark, not cheap. I can by a decent used car for that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/08/2019 20:33, newshound wrote:
On 27/08/2019 12:14, harry wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7-lUBm-Guw

Wow, some people have too much time and money!

I remember watching someone flying a four engine turbo prop passenger
plane (maybe a Britannia) with a six foot wingspan a good many years ago,
but some of these take it to a new level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hcy7A0wYwxo

1/2 scale tiggie

Good for strapping the kids into.

Like Boris did with one of the sports cars he was test driving for GQ mag,
both the boys into the one pax seat. Caused a bit of a stir when some
stupid member of the public videod it and howled about it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I believe over a certain size and or weight one has to have special
permission to fly them. They tend to have to be in managed areas for public
safety.
Even standard models these days have to be flown in many places by
arrangement and with safeguards. None of what we used to do on Epsom Downs
in the middle of the race course in the 1960s, there free flight control
line and rc models and gliders shared with families having picnics. It was
fun and most people survived, but these days everyone has to have insurance
and belong to a club managing the area. I do however still notice some areas
of land are being used shall we say off the record by people who have no
idea or just cannot be bothered by all the red tape etc.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Tuesday, 27 August 2019 12:14:41 UTC+1, harry wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7-lUBm-Guw

Wow they are big.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

35 years ago one of my balsa wood single channel models slightly hit a kid
who was watching. I was trying to land (semi controlled crash) at my feet. I
was insured.
I did visit the local club's flying field some years ago, I was thinking of
going back into the hobby. I was met with the same snobbery that existed
over 40 years ago, that is the way that the hobby went. I used to visit the
local flying field when I was about 17, nobody would talk to me except one
man, Gordon Whitehead who has written books on flying scale model planes. He
joined the RAF as a physics teacher and got the rank of Captain - dunno how.
He showed me how to balsa bash and how to fly models. I've tried to find him
and can't. He was older than me .............. :-(
http://www.warbirdreplicas.co.uk/Sca...itehead/13.htm

Brian Gaff wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Aug 2019 10:26:05 +1000, jeikppkywk, better known as cantankerous

http://tinyurl.com/yxffttlo

Fark, not cheap. I can by a decent used car for that.

No, you can't, senile trolling pest! All you "can" is post another troll to
Usenet!

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Aug 2019 14:35:53 +1000, jeikppkywk, better known as cantankerous

1/2 scale tiggie

Good for strapping the kids into.

Like Boris did with one of the sports cars he was test driving for GQ mag,
both the boys into the one pax seat. Caused a bit of a stir when some
stupid member of the public videod it and howled about it.

And this idiot wants to steer the UK into the "future"!

little ignorant ****."
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/2019 09:40, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Brian Gaff wrote:
I believe over a certain size and or weight one has to have special
permission to fly them. They tend to have to be in managed areas for
public safety.

Sorry, not quoting mr pounder, but missed the OP of this thred.

Not only certification, but the CAA has to be involved at every
stage of the construction, including verifying that the
materials to be used in fabrication have been obtained
from certified sources, even before they are assembled.

(Experience from an acquaintance who made a 1/4 scale model
of a WWI biplane)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/2019 09:40, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
35 years ago one of my balsa wood single channel models slightly hit a kid
who was watching. I was trying to land (semi controlled crash) at my feet. I
was insured.
I did visit the local club's flying field some years ago, I was thinking of
going back into the hobby. I was met with the same snobbery that existed
over 40 years ago, that is the way that the hobby went. I used to visit the
local flying field when I was about 17, nobody would talk to me except one
man, Gordon Whitehead who has written books on flying scale model planes. He
joined the RAF as a physics teacher and got the rank of Captain - dunno how.
He showed me how to balsa bash and how to fly models. I've tried to find him
and can't. He was older than me .............. :-(
http://www.warbirdreplicas.co.uk/Sca...itehead/13.htm

A minute or so's displacement yielded:

"Gordon Whitehead 1 29/05/2019 21:05:59

Well I have more than 62 years of my life invested in this hobby, and
it'll take far more than a £16.50 (and more if it inflates) charge to
stop me designing, building and flying sport-scale models ..."

https://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums...?th=142496&p=5

So your start of term report is "must try harder"

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 27 August 2019 23:07:43 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 27/08/2019 20:33, newshound wrote:
On 27/08/2019 12:14, harry wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7-lUBm-Guw

Wow, some people have too much time and money!

I remember watching someone flying a four engine turbo prop passenger
plane (maybe a Britannia) with a six foot wingspan a good many years
ago, but some of these take it to a new level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yf_QTbDeWM

Watch a 1/2 scale jet fighter come to pieces in mid air

Pretty spectacular. Didn't even seem to be doing extreme maneuvers!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/2019 11:28, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Robin wrote:
[...]

You wanted to find a Gordon Whitehead who has written books on flying
scale model planes. I gave you a link to a forum on model planes where
someone has posted recently, using the name Gordon Whitehead, and
claiming to have spent 62 years on scale model planes. While that does
not guarantee it is the person you were looking for I thought it might
help. If not, sorry for wasting your time.

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/08/2019 19:13, Michael Chare wrote:
On 27/08/2019 13:50, whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 27 August 2019 12:14:41 UTC+1, harryÂ* wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7-lUBm-Guw

Wow they are big.

So do they use baby jet engines?

yes, and ducted fan.