Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr Pounder Esquire Mr Pounder Esquire is offline

Default OT Giant RC model aircraft

35 years ago one of my balsa wood single channel models slightly hit a kid
who was watching. I was trying to land (semi controlled crash) at my feet. I
was insured.
I did visit the local club's flying field some years ago, I was thinking of
going back into the hobby. I was met with the same snobbery that existed
over 40 years ago, that is the way that the hobby went. I used to visit the
local flying field when I was about 17, nobody would talk to me except one
man, Gordon Whitehead who has written books on flying scale model planes. He
joined the RAF as a physics teacher and got the rank of Captain - dunno how.
He showed me how to balsa bash and how to fly models. I've tried to find him
and can't. He was older than me .............. :-(
http://www.warbirdreplicas.co.uk/Sca...itehead/13.htm

Brian Gaff wrote:
I believe over a certain size and or weight one has to have special
permission to fly them. They tend to have to be in managed areas for
public safety.
Even standard models these days have to be flown in many places by
arrangement and with safeguards. None of what we used to do on Epsom
Downs in the middle of the race course in the 1960s, there free
flight control line and rc models and gliders shared with families
having picnics. It was fun and most people survived, but these days
everyone has to have insurance and belong to a club managing the
area. I do however still notice some areas of land are being used
shall we say off the record by people who have no idea or just cannot
be bothered by all the red tape etc. Brian

On Tuesday, 27 August 2019 12:14:41 UTC+1, harry wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7-lUBm-Guw

Wow they are big.