Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Septic Drainfield sabotaged by farmer

We are investigating whether to redig our drainfield for our septic tank or buy a new Septic Sewage treatment plant (before the £100,000 fines from the new General Binding Rules come in on Hanuary 1st 2020)

https://inspectapedia.com/septic/Sep...field_Life.php

The old drainfield has blocked over time, as they do,
but the water table has risen due to the farmer's father (RIP) blocking the watercourse lower down for a new field entrance.

I'm guessing that a higher water table will mean less drainage from the drainfield and a much shorter life for it. Plus as seven properties share it we cant be sure people arent pouring fat etcetera down it.

Do we spend time and money digging holes for percolation tests, or decommission the septic tank and get a new sewage treatment plant?

Could we force the farmer to dig out the watercourse and bury a pipe to drain it as it was originally?

A hundred variable here, any advice and experience please?

George

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 25 August 2019 11:03:12 UTC+1, George Miles wrote:
any advice and experience please?

It may be easier simply to move house.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

But we cant sell the house with an illegal septic tank...

https://www.tallents.co.uk/septic-tank-regulations/

If youre selling a house with a septic tank that discharges into a watercourse, then the sale of the property will trigger the requirement to upgrade or replace the tank before the deadline of 1 January 2020 and before the sale completes."

SINGS:
Theres a hole in my Bucket, dear Lisa, dear Lisa...

[GEORGE]
On Sunday, August 25, 2019 at 11:48:07 AM UTC+1, wrote:
On Sunday, 25 August 2019 11:03:12 UTC+1, George Miles wrote:
any advice and experience please?

It may be easier simply to move house.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 25 August 2019 13:03:34 UTC+1, George Miles wrote:
But we cant sell the house with an illegal septic tank...

If you block up the outlet completely it becomes a cesspit and does not discharge into the watercourse.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/08/2019 11:03, George Miles wrote:

We are investigating whether to redig our drainfield for our septic
tank or buy a new Septic Sewage treatment plant (before the £100,000
fines from the new General Binding Rules come in on Hanuary 1st
2020)

https://inspectapedia.com/septic/Sep...field_Life.php

The old drainfield has blocked over time, as they do, but the water
table has risen due to the farmer's father (RIP) blocking the
watercourse lower down for a new field entrance.

Do the new regulations actually apply to you anyway? Since ISTR they
were aimed at owners of septic systems that did not discharge into a
drainage field, but instead directly into a watercourse.

From your description it sounds more like changes to the watercourse
have resulted in a reduction in performance of the drainage field.

I'm guessing that a higher water table will mean less drainage from
the drainfield and a much shorter life for it. Plus as seven
properties share it we cant be sure people arent pouring fat etcetera
down it.

Do we spend time and money digging holes for percolation tests, or
decommission the septic tank and get a new sewage treatment plant?

Could we force the farmer to dig out the watercourse and bury a pipe
to drain it as it was originally?

Has anyone tried asking nicely rather than "forcing" etc? It does seem
like its something that would be worth doing.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/08/2019 11:03, George Miles wrote:
or decommission the septic tank and get a new sewage treatment plant?

Yes.

Could we force the farmer to dig out the watercourse and bury a pipe to drain it as it was originally?

At greater exoense then a sewage plant

A hundred variable here, any advice and experience please?

...I'd spend it on drink.

Sir Henry (at Rawlinson's End)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Aug 2019 03:03:08 -0700 (PDT)
George Miles wrote:

Could we force the farmer to dig out the watercourse and bury a pipe
to drain it as it was originally?

Could you arrange to have it done yourselves, quickly and without asking
anyone else?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George Miles wrote:

Could we force the farmer to dig out the watercourse and bury a pipe
to drain it as it was originally?

Could you arrange to have it done yourselves, quickly and without asking
anyone else?

Have you contacted the Environment Agency?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd have thought that the local council should take the farmer to task over
his changes, I guess though he would not want to admit responsibility, for
to do so would leave him open for your claim to pay for thee remedial
action.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
wrote in message
On Sunday, 25 August 2019 11:03:12 UTC+1, George Miles wrote:
any advice and experience please?

It may be easier simply to move house.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You might find it useful to spend some time trawling through riparian rights and responsibilities legislation.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/owning-a-watercourse
One of the tenets relates to not obstructing watercourses.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles posted
George Miles wrote:

Could we force the farmer to dig out the watercourse and bury a pipe
to drain it as it was originally?

Could you arrange to have it done yourselves, quickly and without asking
anyone else?

Have you contacted the Environment Agency?

Perhaps the very last thing they ought to do.

--
Evremonde