Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Septic Drainfield sabotaged by farmer

On 25/08/2019 11:03, George Miles wrote:

We are investigating whether to redig our drainfield for our septic
tank or buy a new Septic Sewage treatment plant (before the £100,000
fines from the new General Binding Rules come in on Hanuary 1st
2020)

https://inspectapedia.com/septic/Sep...field_Life.php

The old drainfield has blocked over time, as they do, but the water
table has risen due to the farmer's father (RIP) blocking the
watercourse lower down for a new field entrance.

Do the new regulations actually apply to you anyway? Since ISTR they
were aimed at owners of septic systems that did not discharge into a
drainage field, but instead directly into a watercourse.

From your description it sounds more like changes to the watercourse
have resulted in a reduction in performance of the drainage field.

I'm guessing that a higher water table will mean less drainage from
the drainfield and a much shorter life for it. Plus as seven
properties share it we cant be sure people arent pouring fat etcetera
down it.

Do we spend time and money digging holes for percolation tests, or
decommission the septic tank and get a new sewage treatment plant?

Could we force the farmer to dig out the watercourse and bury a pipe
to drain it as it was originally?

Has anyone tried asking nicely rather than "forcing" etc? It does seem
like its something that would be worth doing.

--
Cheers,

John.