Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default Silicone and shower screen

I was watching a video clip and they recommend to silicone on the
external side of the shower screen and not both sides as water could get
trapped, ok I understand that.
I would have thought however to silicone just the internal side and not
the external side of the screen as that would prevent any water getting
under the glass screen.

Am I missing something?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/2019 21:04, ss wrote:
I was watching a video clip and they recommend to silicone on the
external side of the shower screen and not both sides as water could get
trapped, ok I understand that.
I would have thought however to silicone just the internal side and not
the external side of the screen as that would prevent any water getting
under the glass screen.

Am I missing something?

I think the idea is that while either will work, it saves having a bead
of silicone in the shower where its harder to keep clean, and more
likely to be degraded by repeated cleaning etc.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/08/2019 13:36, John Rumm wrote:
On 17/08/2019 21:04, ss wrote:
I was watching a video clip and they recommend to silicone on the
external side of the shower screen and not both sides as water could
get trapped, ok I understand that.
I would have thought however to silicone just the internal side and
not the external side of the screen as that would prevent any water
getting under the glass screen.

Am I missing something?

I think the idea is that while either will work, it saves having a bead
of silicone in the shower where its harder to keep clean, and more
likely to be degraded by repeated cleaning etc.

And instead leaves a gap under the screen that is impossible to clean
and just perfect for growing mould

...I'd spend it on drink.

Sir Henry (at Rawlinson's End)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/2019 21:04, ss wrote:
I was watching a video clip and they recommend to silicone on the
external side of the shower screen and not both sides as water could
get trapped, ok I understand that.
I would have thought however to silicone just the internal side and
not the external side of the screen as that would prevent any water
getting under the glass screen.

Am I missing something?

I think the idea is that while either will work, it saves having a
bead of silicone in the shower where its harder to keep clean, and
more likely to be degraded by repeated cleaning etc.

AndÂ* instead leaves a gap under the screen that is impossible to clean
and just perfect for growing mould

Most of the screen instructions specify that the frame should be bedded
on a bead of sealant. So there will be no gap under. They are just
talking about omitting a fillet of it between wall and frame on the inside.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 17 August 2019 21:04:30 UTC+1, ss wrote:
I would have thought however to silicone just the internal side and not
the external side of the screen as that would prevent any water getting
under the glass screen.

Am I missing something?

The way I think of it is that the silicone seal *will* definitely fail at some time. It might take a year, or it might take ten. But when it fails, water *will* end up in the frame and/or around the screen.

So, given that water *will* be there, it's better that it can freely drain out into the shower tray, rather than onto the floor outside of the tray.

So seal the outside.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/08/2019 20:49, David wrote:
On Saturday, 17 August 2019 21:04:30 UTC+1, ss wrote:
I would have thought however to silicone just the internal side and not
the external side of the screen as that would prevent any water getting
under the glass screen.

Am I missing something?

The way I think of it is that the silicone seal *will* definitely fail at some time.

Never has with me

It might take a year, or it might take ten. But when it fails,

water *will* end up in the frame and/or around the screen.

After nearly 20 years

So, given that water *will* be there, it's better that it can freely drain out into the shower tray, rather than onto the floor outside of the tray.

So seal the outside.

Classic example of good logic from a bad assumption

fully understood.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/08/2019 20:49, David wrote:
On Saturday, 17 August 2019 21:04:30 UTC+1, ss wrote:
I would have thought however to silicone just the internal side and not
the external side of the screen as that would prevent any water getting
under the glass screen.

Am I missing something?

The way I think of it is that the silicone seal *will* definitely fail at
some time.

Never has with me

Hasnt with me either.

It might take a year, or it might take ten. But when it fails, water

*will* end up in the frame and/or around the screen.

After nearly 20 years

After 45 years in my case. I did use the high end branded stuff tho.

So, given that water *will* be there, it's better that it can freely
drain out into the shower tray, rather than onto the floor outside of the
tray.

So seal the outside.

Classic example of good logic from a bad assumption

No assumption so much.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Aug 2019 10:27:15 +1000, jeikppkywk, better known as cantankerous

The way I think of it is that the silicone seal *will* definitely fail at
some time.

Never has with me

Hasn¢t with me either.

NOBODY talked to you, senile pest.

FLUSH the rest of your usual unasked-for ****

--
dennis@home to retarded senile Rot:
"sod off rod you don't have a clue about anything."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 19 August 2019 01:27:27 UTC+1, jeikppkywk wrote:
On 18/08/2019 20:49, David wrote:

The way I think of it is that the silicone seal *will* definitely fail at
some time.

Never has with me

Hasnt with me either.

Excellent. Well done to both of you
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/08/2019 09:26, David wrote:
On Monday, 19 August 2019 01:27:27 UTC+1, jeikppkywk wrote:
On 18/08/2019 20:49, David wrote:

The way I think of it is that the silicone seal *will* definitely fail at
some time.

Never has with me

Hasnt with me either.

Excellent. Well done to both of you

No, well done the manufacturers for providing as stable product that
does not degrade over time

Their only mistake was to fail to inform you of this.

We have. There is now no excuse.

look exactly the same afterwards."

Billy Connolly

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 19 August 2019 10:51:18 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 19/08/2019 09:26, David wrote:
On Monday, 19 August 2019 01:27:27 UTC+1, jeikppkywk wrote:
On 18/08/2019 20:49, David wrote:

The way I think of it is that the silicone seal *will* definitely fail at
some time.

Never has with me

Hasnt with me either.

Excellent. Well done to both of you

No, well done the manufacturers for providing as stable product that
does not degrade over time

Their only mistake was to fail to inform you of this.

We have. There is now no excuse.

Well, the thing is, I don't know whether any water has ever entered any of the shower screens I've sealed.

I've always followed the manufacturers' instructions and sealed the external side, so if any water has entered the frame, it has run harmlessly straight out again into the shower tray or bath... I assume ;-)

What is difference between Industrial/construction RTV Silicone andBig Box Silicone Rubber hr(bob) [email protected] Home Repair 5 July 16th 10 07:57 PM
Silicone sealant vs silicone adhesive? Walter Cohen Home Repair 8 October 31st 07 11:32 AM
Silicone sealant vs silicone adhesive? Walter Cohen Home Ownership 8 October 31st 07 11:32 AM
Silicone over silicone? MB UK diy 1 August 28th 06 12:03 AM
Silicone vs silicone [email protected] UK diy 2 April 30th 06 01:02 PM