Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electricity for a shed

Hi.
Just thinking on while I'm rewiring the kitchen I may as well lay down the cable to reach the shed in the back yard.
I used 10m of 6mm cable to reach the cooker connection unit so I'll need only 20m maximum to reach a box in my shed.

1st question : It will be a separate breaker in the CU so white size cable to use 6, 4 or 2.5 ?

Thanks.

Arthur
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/08/2019 18:30, Arthur Ravenscroft wrote:
Hi.
Just thinking on while I'm rewiring the kitchen I may as well lay down the cable to reach the shed in the back yard.
I used 10m of 6mm cable to reach the cooker connection unit so I'll need only 20m maximum to reach a box in my shed.

1st question : It will be a separate breaker in the CU so white size cable to use 6, 4 or 2.5 ?

Thanks.

Arthur
If possible e-arrange your consumer unit so that the shed is fed from an

RCBO that is not connected to any existing RCD device in the consumer
unit. If thats not possible get a new consumer unit.

That way when you get water in the shed electricsit won't trip the RCD
and take out whatever else is connected to that RCD.

I leave it to others to cover the rules on sheds, part p, sheathed
cable, catenaries, exported earths etc.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/08/2019 18:30, Arthur Ravenscroft wrote:
Hi.
Just thinking on while I'm rewiring the kitchen I may as well lay down the cable to reach the shed in the back yard.
I used 10m of 6mm cable to reach the cooker connection unit so I'll need only 20m maximum to reach a box in my shed.

1st question : It will be a separate breaker in the CU so white size cable to use 6, 4 or 2.5 ?

That all rather depends on what load you need it to support... having
said that, cable is relatively cheap, and access, opportunity, and time
and effort might be harder to come by later, so larger than you need
right now may save lots of hassle later.

Have a read though:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...ricity_outside

There is a section on submain design and cable choice.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I rather like the idea of having a bespoke medium current isolated supply as
well, which will enable earthing of the neutral so 'live' chassis devices
and can be safely worked on. I used to do this many years ago, but fear
doing this now could easily result in a problem if something earthed to
mains earth from the house also gets earthed to my isolated neutral via the
transformer.

Nobody seemed to care in the 1970s!
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"David Wade" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I suddenly remembered a neighbour who kind of might have earned the Darwin
award, as his wife seemed liable to kill him when the whole house was cut
off. This was an old house with just circuit breakers for sockets and
lights.
What he had done many years earlier is taken a pvc three core cable along
a fence, up a pole and over a concrete area to a post on his shed, then down
to the shed.
His major mistake was to situate a garden incinerator just below the cable
and light it full of garden waste and go indoors to what the tv.
I'm sure you can guess that a half an hour later, all his sockets went off
with a bang as the pvc melted.
Ahem.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/08/2019 09:53, David Wade wrote:
On 13/08/2019 18:30, Arthur Ravenscroft wrote:
Hi.
Just thinking on while I'm rewiring the kitchen I may as well lay down
the cable to reach the shed in the back yard.
I used 10m of 6mm cable to reach the cooker connection unit so I'll
need only 20m maximum to reach a box in my shed.

1st question : It will be a separate breaker in the CU so white size
cable to use 6, 4 or 2.5 ?

Thanks.

Arthur
If possible e-arrange your consumer unit so that the shed is fed from an

RCBO that is not connected to any existing RCD device in the consumer
unit. If thats not possible get a new consumer unit.
That way when you get water in the shed electricsit won't trip the RCD
and take out whatever else is connected to that RCD.

There is certainly merit in separating outdoor circuits from other house
ones, however that may or may not mean that a RCBO at the head end is
the best way forward. Having a RCD at the head end has a couple of
obvious problems; firstly if it trips you have got a walk outside to
reset it, and secondly you might be in the dark when doing so.

In other words, ensuring you have discrimination so that faults on a
socket circuit does not cause loss of lighting might be important.

--
Cheers,

John.