Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dining chair refurbish, what glue to use?

We have some old (as in 1930s I think) dining room chairs which need
refurbishing. They are made of oak with dowel joints which are nearly
all coming loose.

So, I can take them all apart pretty easily and clean them up but I'm
wondering what glue to use. Something reasonably quick setting would
be handy so I can re-assemble fairly quickly, but apart from that I'm
a bit lost.

Nearly all the 'wood' glue I can find at ScrewFix and Toolstation
seems to be PVA, is this the way to go and, if so, what's recommended
for quick setting?

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/08/2019 13:36, Chris Green wrote:

We have some old (as in 1930s I think) dining room chairs which need
refurbishing. They are made of oak with dowel joints which are nearly
all coming loose.

So, I can take them all apart pretty easily and clean them up but I'm
wondering what glue to use. Something reasonably quick setting would
be handy so I can re-assemble fairly quickly, but apart from that I'm
a bit lost.

Nearly all the 'wood' glue I can find at ScrewFix and Toolstation
seems to be PVA, is this the way to go and, if so, what's recommended
for quick setting?

If the joint is tight fitting, then a wood glue will do ok. Something
like Titebond III retains slightly more elasticity when set than the
more traditional PVAs - although its slower curing that say Titebond
original. For loose fitting joints or where set time is critical, then 5
minute epoxy.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 Aug 2019 16:57:08 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

[...]

I used Cascamite, but I was willing to wait!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 Aug 2019 17:46:26 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

If the chairs actually wobble the wood has probably dried out so any
glue is going to crack again.

Just done four dining chairs from the in-laws with loose backs and
legs. Joints fairly tight but not tight enough to stop a wobble. I
just used PVA wood glue. Did a couple here the same way a few years
ago, still solid.

Not sure that a glue that sets quickly is a good idea witha complex
structure like a chair. Something may fit well together but not quite
in the right place when fitted to the rest of the chair. Being able
to assemble and get everything into the right place for the whole is
what you want.

I'm sure there used to be something that expanded a bit after it was
assembled but I've forgotten it now.

Doesn't Gorrila Glue foam up?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/08/2019 20:33, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 13 Aug 2019 17:46:26 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

If the chairs actually wobble the wood has probably dried out so any
glue is going to crack again.

Just done four dining chairs from the in-laws with loose backs and
legs. Joints fairly tight but not tight enough to stop a wobble. I
just used PVA wood glue. Did a couple here the same way a few years
ago, still solid.

Not sure that a glue that sets quickly is a good idea witha complex
structure like a chair. Something may fit well together but not quite
in the right place when fitted to the rest of the chair. Being able
to assemble and get everything into the right place for the whole is
what you want.

I'm sure there used to be something that expanded a bit after it was
assembled but I've forgotten it now.

Doesn't Gorrila Glue foam up?

It does, but the foam has no gap filling strength. If you need gap
filling then epoxy (with added filler if required) is the usual way to go).

--
Cheers,

John.