Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dining chair refurbish, what glue to use?

On Tue, 13 Aug 2019 16:57:08 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

On 13/08/2019 13:36, Chris Green wrote:

We have some old (as in 1930s I think) dining room chairs which need
refurbishing. They are made of oak with dowel joints which are nearly
all coming loose.

So, I can take them all apart pretty easily and clean them up but I'm
wondering what glue to use. Something reasonably quick setting would
be handy so I can re-assemble fairly quickly, but apart from that I'm a
bit lost.

Nearly all the 'wood' glue I can find at ScrewFix and Toolstation seems
to be PVA, is this the way to go and, if so, what's recommended for
quick setting?

If the joint is tight fitting, then a wood glue will do ok. Something
like Titebond III retains slightly more elasticity when set than the
more traditional PVAs - although its slower curing that say Titebond
original. For loose fitting joints or where set time is critical, then 5
minute epoxy.

I used Cascamite, but I was willing to wait!