Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

Default M6

On 12/08/2019 14:57, brian wrote:

Police were M2 +2 M2ZH was Edinburgh and M2BD as in Zed Victor 1 to BD

I remember the first night that Z Cars was shown on TV, I had a choice
of staying home to watch the new series or meeting the
girl-friend-de-jour. Z Cars didn't win that one, but the following
furore in the papers about how the police were depicted (wife-beating,
etc) publicized the series no end, and I swapped evenings so I could see
future episodes. Lancashire Police withdrew their co-operation in
protest at the coverage.

A few years later I had cause to be grateful for the aid of a Z car.
Heading south on the M6 somewhere south of Preston my 348cc Velocette
had a front-wheel puncture, and I didn't have the kit needed to repair
it. Nonetheless, while I was taking the wheel out and pondering my next
steps, a Z car pulled up and one of the officers asked what the matter
was, and went on to say that they were on a call but would be back in 30
minutes or so.

I sat in the warm sunshine watching the traffic go by, until the
returning Z car pulled up opposite on the hard shoulder of the
northbound carriageway. One officer ran across to the median, and called
me across. Picking up my wheel and tools, I legged it over both
carriageways, dumped the wheel, etc in the boot of the Zodiac, and we
sped off at well over the ton, until they turned off and dropped me at a
garage close by the motorway.

I think I was generously given a repair kit, and anyway made short work
of the job, thumbing a lift back to my waiting Velo and the rest of the
200-mile journey home. Next day was a week day, so leaving the lab in
the evening I filled up at a nearby garage, and I'd just pulled away
into the traffic when the front inner tube exploded leaving me with very
little control of the machine. Being a skilled biker I didn't fall off
and so spill petrol or suffer any injuries and brought the machine to a
halt. I had to get buses and a train to get home.

I had a spare tube at home so dad gave me lift back to my machine. I
did the business and was soon back on the road. Later examination of the
offending tyre showed a tiny manufacturing defect that when in use was
slowly abrading a very small area in the inner tube, which as a result
had finally let go in a big way - fortunately at low speed rather than
those of the motorway.

I'm still grateful to those two Z-car officers for their help and
assistance.

--
Spike
Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Aug 2019 18:19:05 +0400
Spike wrote:

Later examination of
the offending tyre showed a tiny manufacturing defect that when in
use was slowly abrading a very small area in the inner tube, which as
a result had finally let go in a big way - fortunately at low speed
rather than those of the motorway.

Which is why we always check the casing and rim carefully when replacing
a tube, and carry a spare tube or two alongside the puncture kit.

I'm still grateful to those two Z-car officers for their help and
assistance.

Hitching (unsuccessfully) somewhere near Dartford about 2:00 AM my GF
and I attracted the interest of a police patrol - they questioned us
and then (having decided we weren't up to no good) gave us a lift most
of the way to Dover, which I thought was jolly decent of them.

Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

Spike wrote:

Later examination of
the offending tyre showed a tiny manufacturing defect that when in
use was slowly abrading a very small area in the inner tube, which as
a result had finally let go in a big way - fortunately at low speed
rather than those of the motorway.

Which is why we always check the casing and rim carefully when replacing
a tube, and carry a spare tube or two alongside the puncture kit.

Burts main problem, amongst many, is a crippling inability to think ahead.

--
M0TEY // STC
www.twitter.com/ukradioamateur
Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

On 12 Aug 2019 17:51:38 GMT
Stephen Cole wrote:

Rob Morley wrote:
On Mon, 12 Aug 2019 18:19:05 +0400
Spite spun:

Later examination of
the offending tyre showed a tiny manufacturing defect that when in
use was slowly abrading a very small area in the inner tube, which
as a result had finally let go in a big way - fortunately at low
speed rather than those of the motorway.

Which is why we always check the casing and rim carefully when
replacing a tube, and carry a spare tube or two alongside the
puncture kit.

Burts main problem, amongst many, is a crippling inability to think
ahead.

Burt can spin a fine yarn, though. I still reckon this was where he
peaked:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!or...o/bL6NYzIaQ88J

Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

Spike wrote:

Later examination of
the offending tyre showed a tiny manufacturing defect that when in
use was slowly abrading a very small area in the inner tube, which as
a result had finally let go in a big way - fortunately at low speed
rather than those of the motorway.

Which is why we always check the casing and rim carefully when replacing
a tube, and carry a spare tube or two alongside the puncture kit.

Burts main problem, amongst many, is a crippling inability to think ahead.

As apposed to you..your 'e main problem, amongst many, is a crippling
inability to think.

Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

Spike wrote:

Later examination of
the offending tyre showed a tiny manufacturing defect that when in
use was slowly abrading a very small area in the inner tube,
which as a result had finally let go in a big way - fortunately
at low speed rather than those of the motorway.

Which is why we always check the casing and rim carefully when
replacing a tube, and carry a spare tube or two alongside the
puncture kit.

Burts main problem, amongst many, is a crippling inability to think
ahead.

As apposed to you..your 'e main problem, amongst many, is a crippling
inability to think.

Ha-ha-ha-h-ah-a-ah-a-a-ha-ha-ha-ha-h-a-ha-h-ah-ah-a-h-ah-a-hah-ahhh!

Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"Spike" wrote in message
[...]

choo choo beny brain spook were ok as well....

Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

On 12/08/2019 15:19, Spike wrote:

In my bike days I only ever had rear punctures on my own bikes, and I
would either patch them or put in a spare tube. But I did have a front
patch come off on a bike I was recovering for someone, which wasn't fun.
After that I always carried a spare (unpatched) front tube.

Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

Spike wrote:

Later examination of
the offending tyre showed a tiny manufacturing defect that when in
use was slowly abrading a very small area in the inner tube, which as
a result had finally let go in a big way - fortunately at low speed
rather than those of the motorway.

Which is why we always check the casing and rim carefully when replacing
a tube, and carry a spare tube or two alongside the puncture kit.

Burt’s main problem, amongst many, is a crippling inability to think ahead.

As apposed to you..your 'e main problem, amongst many, is a crippling
inability to think.

Rich, why did you say that you held a Full when you actually only held a
2E0?

--
M0TEY // STC
www.twitter.com/ukradioamateur

Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

Bernie wrote:
On 12 Aug 2019 17:51:38 GMT
Stephen Cole wrote:

Rob Morley wrote:
On Mon, 12 Aug 2019 18:19:05 +0400
Spite spun:

Later examination of
the offending tyre showed a tiny manufacturing defect that when in
use was slowly abrading a very small area in the inner tube, which
as a result had finally let go in a big way - fortunately at low
speed rather than those of the motorway.

Which is why we always check the casing and rim carefully when
replacing a tube, and carry a spare tube or two alongside the
puncture kit.

Burts main problem, amongst many, is a crippling inability to think
ahead.

Burt can spin a fine yarn, though. I still reckon this was where he
peaked:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!or...o/bL6NYzIaQ88J

Poor Old Burt. I wonder if the plods ever reimbursed him for those
computers they broke?

--
M0TEY // STC
www.twitter.com/ukradioamateur
Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

In message , Bernie
writes
On 12 Aug 2019 17:51:38 GMT
Stephen Cole wrote:

Rob Morley wrote:
On Mon, 12 Aug 2019 18:19:05 +0400
Spite spun:

Later examination of
the offending tyre showed a tiny manufacturing defect that when in
use was slowly abrading a very small area in the inner tube, which
as a result had finally let go in a big way - fortunately at low
speed rather than those of the motorway.

Which is why we always check the casing and rim carefully when
replacing a tube, and carry a spare tube or two alongside the
puncture kit.

Burts main problem, amongst many, is a crippling inability to think
ahead.

Burt can spin a fine yarn, though. I still reckon this was where he
peaked:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!or...dband/bk_vRwnF
7Oo/bL6NYzIaQ88J

There was something rather reminiscent of this on the TV last night
showing drug raids in Wales I think . In one scene they burned the door
with what looked like an industrial laser top to bottom near the lock
and pushed what remained open.

"the door comes off its hinges with brutal
force at about 4 am, and your house is filled with shouting robots
dressed in psychologically-disturbing agressive-looking clothing and
totally impervious to anything you might say, and completely
indifferent to you and any partner being stark naked"

This makes Gareth's encounter look like a cosy chat with PC Dixon,.

Brian
--
Brian Howie
Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

brian wrote:
In message , Bernie
writes
On 12 Aug 2019 17:51:38 GMT
Stephen Cole wrote:

Rob Morley wrote:
[...]

With Burt being stark naked I feel sorry for the coppers, tbh.

--
M0TEY // STC
www.twitter.com/ukradioamateur
Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

brian wrote:
In message , Bernie
writes
On 12 Aug 2019 17:51:38 GMT
Stephen Cole wrote:

Rob Morley wrote:
[...]

Most people tend not to be hostile towards the police. They rarely
encounter them. Conversely, those who have some kind of history with the
police / criminal record tend to be very vocal in their criticism. The
same is true of employment. Those who enjoyed their work/ career, dont go
on to criticise former managers/colleagues etc .

Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

Spike wrote:

Later examination of
the offending tyre showed a tiny manufacturing defect that when in
use was slowly abrading a very small area in the inner tube, which as
a result had finally let go in a big way - fortunately at low speed
rather than those of the motorway.

Which is why we always check the casing and rim carefully when replacing
a tube, and carry a spare tube or two alongside the puncture kit.

The tyre that failed was the one that came with the machine, and there
had been no problems with it until the M6 incident. I guess the previous
owner had only used the Velo for short journeys. It would seem like a
summer day and a long motorway journey were too much, and the tube was
compromised by this.

The day after, I went searching for the cause, which proved difficult to
find, and it certainly never showed with the fingers test or a casual
visual inspection - it wasn't a case of a 'sharp bit' being easy to
find, but more of a very small (1 mm?) slightly roughened patch that was
hard to find.

Some 60 years after first taking to the road I still ride a bike, and
must have been very lucky as I can only recall three punctures in that
time, this incident being one of them.

I'm still grateful to those two Z-car officers for their help and
assistance.

Hitching (unsuccessfully) somewhere near Dartford about 2:00 AM my GF
and I attracted the interest of a police patrol - they questioned us
and then (having decided we weren't up to no good) gave us a lift most
of the way to Dover, which I thought was jolly decent of them.

They don't make 'em like they used to...police officers, I mean...

--
Spike
Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

On 13/08/2019 09:05, Brian Reay wrote:
brian wrote:
In message , Bernie
writes
On 12 Aug 2019 17:51:38 GMT
Stephen Cole wrote:

Rob Morley wrote:
[...]

yes they are dead honest like the pair who gave the reason for stopping
me at aldi was that they smelt drink off me when behind me at the asda
cash machine...lying *******s..wouldn't even give me a breath test when
I asked for one to prove them wrong..used to enjoy ordering then to
close roads and pavements when I attended dangerous buildings
though...tee hee
Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

Spike wrote:

[...]

very true very true ....bunch of silly boys and gurls....
Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

Brian Reay wrote:

brian wrote:
In message , Bernie
writes
On 12 Aug 2019 17:51:38 GMT
Stephen Cole wrote:

Rob Morley wrote:
[...]

That's simply untrue. I, and many colleagues I know, enjoyed my work
but we, regretfully, rather often had to criticise management.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

On 13/08/2019 11:35, Roger Hayter wrote:
Brian Reay wrote:

brian wrote:
In message , Bernie
writes
On 12 Aug 2019 17:51:38 GMT
Stephen Cole wrote:

Rob Morley wrote:
[...]

we were fine up to 2001 when I let a bully tosser take over...I didn't
want the job as it was a poisoned chalice...even though I had done the
chiefs job for a couple of years.....

Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

On 13/08/2019 14:35, Roger Hayter wrote:
Brian Reay wrote:

Most people tend not to be hostile towards the police. They rarely
encounter them. Conversely, those who have some kind of history with the
police / criminal record tend to be very vocal in their criticism. The
same is true of employment. Those who enjoyed their work/ career, don't go
on to criticise former managers/colleagues etc .

That's simply untrue. I, and many colleagues I know, enjoyed my work
but we, regretfully, rather often had to criticise management.

One wonders why former Project Manager Reay appears so sensitive on the
issue of the criticism of management.

--
Spike

Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

"brian" wrote in message
In message , Bernie
writes
On 12 Aug 2019 17:51:38 GMT
Stephen Cole wrote:

Rob Morley wrote:
[...]

Fark, bit risky if someone is standing behind
the door looking at the cutting happening.

In spades if its a little kid or even a dog etc.

"the door comes off its hinges with brutal
force at about 4 am, and your house is filled with shouting robots
dressed in psychologically-disturbing agressive-looking clothing and
totally impervious to anything you might say, and completely
indifferent to you and any partner being stark naked"

This makes Gareth's encounter look like a cosy chat with PC Dixon,.

Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 07:43:33 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Fark, bit risky if

Fark, you HAD spread your **** also in this thread, senile Rodent!

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

In message , Rod Speed
writes

"brian" wrote in message

There was something rather reminiscent of this on the TV last night
showing drug raids in Wales I think . In one scene they burned the
door with what looked like an industrial laser top to bottom near the
lock and pushed what remained open.

Fark, bit risky if someone is standing behind
the door looking at the cutting happening.

In spades if its a little kid or even a dog etc.

I'm guessing they rang the door bell first or popped a card through the
letter box. Bit of a bummer if they got the wrong address as has
happened.

Brian
--
Brian Howie
Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

"Roger Hayter" wrote in message
Brian Reay wrote:

brian wrote:
In message , Bernie
writes
On 12 Aug 2019 17:51:38 GMT
Stephen Cole wrote:

Rob Morley wrote:
[...]

+10

Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

"brian" wrote in message
In message , Rod Speed
writes

"brian" wrote in message

There was something rather reminiscent of this on the TV last night
showing drug raids in Wales I think . In one scene they burned the door
with what looked like an industrial laser top to bottom near the lock
and pushed what remained open.

Fark, bit risky if someone is standing behind
the door looking at the cutting happening.

In spades if its a little kid or even a dog etc.

I'm guessing they rang the door bell first or popped a card through the
letter box.

Not going to work with a little kid or a dog.

Going to be interesting to see how long till they blind someone.

Bit of a bummer if they got the wrong address as has happened.

Yeah, specially if they are away on holiday etc and thats
why they didnt answer the door.

Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 13:26:56 +1000, jeikppkywk, better known as
cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rodent Speed, wrote:

That's simply untrue. I, and many colleagues I know, enjoyed my work
but we, regretfully, rather often had to criticise management.

+10

Stop insulting people by agreeing with them, you trolling piece of senile
****!

--
dennis@home to retarded senile Rot:
"sod off rod you don't have a clue about anything."
Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 14:46:51 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I'm guessing they rang the door bell first or popped a card through the
letter box.

Not going to work with a little kid or a dog.

Go talk to the Welsh police, Mr Know-it-all. I'm sure THEY, unlike the
people on Usenet, will appreciate your input! tsk

cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Roger Hayter" wrote in message
.. .
Brian Reay wrote:

brian wrote:
In message , Bernie
writes
On 12 Aug 2019 17:51:38 GMT
Stephen Cole wrote:

Rob Morley wrote:
[...]

IME, incompetent management was a major cause of employee
dissatisfaction.
Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

On 13/08/2019 09:11, Spike wrote:
I still ride a bike