Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The perils of commercial kits

So /she/ decides she wants an arbour in the garden. Somewhere to sit and
watch the sunset, but the neighbours can't see.

Find one, buy it, put it together. Mostly - then stop as I realise the
back panels are made of ply, and haven't been painted on the edges -
which might be a problem since the bottom edges sit in a cross member
that has a 1/4 inch wide groove in it, and will doubtless hold water.

Then realise the inside of the groove hasn't been painted either.

Ever try painting inside a 1/4 inch wide groove, deeper than it is wide,
without getting paint on the edges? I ended up using a model makers
paint brush

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 11/08/2019 21:56, Vir Campestris wrote:
So /she/ decides she wants an arbour in the garden. Somewhere to sit and
watch the sunset, but the neighbours can't see.

Find one, buy it, put it together. Mostly - then stop as I realise the
back panels are made of ply, and haven't been painted on the edges -
which might be a problem since the bottom edges sit in a cross member
that has a 1/4 inch wide groove in it, and will doubtless hold water.

Then realise the inside of the groove hasn't been painted either.

Ever try painting inside a 1/4 inch wide groove, deeper than it is wide,
without getting paint on the edges? I ended up using a model makers
paint brush

Andy

i wouldnt worry by next year she probably wont use it anyway, or decide
it is the wrong shape / location or some other issue.

When I had a property abroad the large roof terrace with fantastic sea
views was brilliant except it ws too warm to sit in the sun, so decided
to roof it (Pagoda) took us over a year to get it at the right price,
got it built and was never used as we always sat on the ground floor
under a roofed area. Still it did help to sell the villa a few years later.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/08/2019 21:56, Vir Campestris wrote:

Find one, buy it, put it together. Mostly - then stop as I realise the
back panels are made of ply, and haven't been painted on the edges -
which might be a problem since the bottom edges sit in a cross member
that has a 1/4 inch wide groove in it, and will doubtless hold water.

Then realise the inside of the groove hasn't been painted either.

Wouldn't the solution have been to fill the groove with a sealer/caulk
and then insert the ply?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vir Campestris wrote:

Ever try painting inside a 1/4 inch wide groove, deeper than it is wide,
without getting paint on the edges? I ended up using a model makers
paint brush

Is that *really* going to help preserve it? Looking at similar
painted and unpainted lumps of wood in our garden over the years the
unpainted ones often seem to last longer. I guess it may well be
beause the unpainted ones dry out more thouroughly after getting wet.

What are you 'painting' with?

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/08/2019 21:56, Vir Campestris wrote:
So /she/ decides she wants an arbour in the garden. Somewhere to sit and
watch the sunset, but the neighbours can't see.

Find one, buy it, put it together. Mostly - then stop as I realise the
back panels are made of ply, and haven't been painted on the edges -
which might be a problem since the bottom edges sit in a cross member
that has a 1/4 inch wide groove in it, and will doubtless hold water.

Then realise the inside of the groove hasn't been painted either.

Ever try painting inside a 1/4 inch wide groove, deeper than it is wide,
without getting paint on the edges? I ended up using a model makers
paint brush

Perhaps some clear spirit based cuprinol might have been a better answer
- just pour/spray it in!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/08/2019 09:56, John Rumm wrote:
On 11/08/2019 21:56, Vir Campestris wrote:
So /she/ decides she wants an arbour in the garden. Somewhere to sit
and watch the sunset, but the neighbours can't see.

Find one, buy it, put it together. Mostly - then stop as I realise the
back panels are made of ply, and haven't been painted on the edges -
which might be a problem since the bottom edges sit in a cross member
that has a 1/4 inch wide groove in it, and will doubtless hold water.

Then realise the inside of the groove hasn't been painted either.

Ever try painting inside a 1/4 inch wide groove, deeper than it is
wide, without getting paint on the edges? I ended up using a model
makers paint brush

Perhaps some clear spirit based cuprinol might have been a better answer
- just pour/spray it in!

Or just use masking tape and a spray can

--
Renewable energy: Expensive solutions that don't work to a problem that
doesn't exist instituted by self legalising protection rackets that

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Aug 2019 09:56:37 +0100
John Rumm wrote:

On 11/08/2019 21:56, Vir Campestris wrote:

Ever try painting inside a 1/4 inch wide groove, deeper than it is
wide, without getting paint on the edges? I ended up using a model
makers paint brush

Perhaps some clear spirit based cuprinol might have been a better
answer
- just pour/spray it in!

And follow it up with a coat or two of clear varnish.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/08/2019 08:24, Chris Green wrote:
What are you 'painting' with?

External grade primer undercoat, which seems to be OK from when I've
used it before - except this time I'm not going to overcoat it, and
it'll be in the shade.

Andy