Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default The perils of commercial kits

On 11/08/2019 21:56, Vir Campestris wrote:
So /she/ decides she wants an arbour in the garden. Somewhere to sit and
watch the sunset, but the neighbours can't see.

Find one, buy it, put it together. Mostly - then stop as I realise the
back panels are made of ply, and haven't been painted on the edges -
which might be a problem since the bottom edges sit in a cross member
that has a 1/4 inch wide groove in it, and will doubtless hold water.

Then realise the inside of the groove hasn't been painted either.

Ever try painting inside a 1/4 inch wide groove, deeper than it is wide,
without getting paint on the edges? I ended up using a model makers
paint brush

Andy

i wouldnt worry by next year she probably wont use it anyway, or decide
it is the wrong shape / location or some other issue.

When I had a property abroad the large roof terrace with fantastic sea
views was brilliant except it ws too warm to sit in the sun, so decided
to roof it (Pagoda) took us over a year to get it at the right price,
got it built and was never used as we always sat on the ground floor
under a roofed area. Still it did help to sell the villa a few years later.