Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Building regs/Minor works certificate?

I have had a new en suite shower room installed by professionals and a
building regs certificate has been issued.

The work obviously included new lights and a fan.

Should I expect a minor works certificate to cover the electrical work
in addition to the building regs certificate or is the wiring also
covered by the building regs approval.

I have had a look at the minor works certificate template and the
information contained in it is certainly not covered in the building
regs certificate.

References to authoritative information sources would be appreciated as
I may need them .

Many Thanks.

--
Chris B (News)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/08/2019 21:09, Chris B wrote:
I have had a new en suite shower room installed by professionals and a
building regs certificate has been issued.

The work obviously included new lights and a fan.

Should I expect a minor works certificate to cover the electrical work
in addition to the building regs certificate or is the wiring also
covered by the building regs approval.

I have had a look at the minor works certificate template and the
information contained in it is certainly not covered in the building
regs certificate.

References to authoritative information sources would be appreciated as
I may need them .

Many Thanks.

And whilst I am on can anyone tell me what would be the typical cost of
fitting 3 led downlighters in said bathroom?

--
Chris B (News)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 08/08/2019 21:19, Chris B wrote:
On 08/08/2019 21:09, Chris B wrote:
I have had a new en suite shower room installed by professionals and a
building regs certificate has been issued.

The work obviously included new lights and a fan.

Should I expect a minor works certificate to cover the electrical work
in addition to the building regs certificate or is the wiring also
covered by the building regs approval.

I have had a look at the minor works certificate template and the
information contained in it is certainly not covered in the building
regs certificate.

References to authoritative information sources would be appreciated
as I may need them .

Many Thanks.

And whilst I am on can anyone tell me what would be the typical cost of
fitting 3 led downlighters in said bathroom?

It depends on how difficult/time consuming it was to do.

I changed a baton holder to 3 spot lights in a bathroom last weekend. 90
minutes work, £5 worth of parts, £10 for fuel (although I also charged
the next customer 3 miles away on the next job the same as someone has
to pay for wear and tear of the vehicle and my time to get there). The
customer supplied the spotlights.

I charged £50. If it was a job for work it would have cost £70 plus vat.

As for the certificate.

Yes you should have been issued with one if building control are
involved. That would of course add another £10 to the invoice if it was
a works job as someone has to type it up.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/08/2019 19:31, ARW wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the info, We have just been presented with a "surcharge"
bill of over £250 (+VAT) by the builder because his electrician
installed 3 LED downlights. Surely a basic ceiling light must have been
included in the cost of a new bathroom installation (costing several
thousand pounds), and upgrading to 3 downlights (which we didn't ask
for) cannot cost this much.

Also £100 to provide the wiring and connect up a mirror which we
supplied and fitted.

Bear in mind that electrician had full access to the room before the
ceiling was put up and walls plasterboarded.

Although we have been presented with the building control approval cert
I am struggling to get a minor works cert for the electrics.

My gut feeling is that all of this is a bit unreasonable, but I am
trying to get a second opinion from those with more knowledge, before I
go in to battle.

--
Chris B (News)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 10/08/2019 09:29, Chris B wrote:
On 09/08/2019 19:31, ARW wrote:

Thanks for the info,Â* We have just been presented with a "surcharge"
bill of over £250 (+VAT) by the builder because his electrician
installed 3 LED downlights.Â* Surely a basic ceiling light must have been
included in the cost of a new bathroom installation (costing several
thousand pounds), and upgrading to 3 downlights (which we didn't ask
for) cannot cost this much.

Also £100 to provide the wiring and connect up a mirror which we
supplied and fitted.

Bear in mind that electrician had full access to the room before the
ceiling was put up and walls plasterboarded.

Although we have been presented with the building control approval cert
I am struggling to get a minor works cert for the electrics.

My gut feeling is that all of this is a bit unreasonable, but I am
trying to get a second opinion from those with more knowledge, before I
go in to battle.

OK so our firm would probably have charged £96 plus the cost of the
downlights for the job I described. And LED downlights cost less than
£10. So unless they had a much harder job to do or you are in an
expensive location the only things I can think of is they took a long
time to do a basic job[1], they charged travel time and they had to make
two trips not just the one I did.

I cannot say if £250 is too much. However I do agree that a basic light
and light switch should have been included in the original quote and
changing that to 3 spotlights for £250 is a lot of money unless there
are things we are not aware of.

Do the lights in the bathroom have RCD protection?

Any idea who the electrician was? If you know then you can find out
which scheme, if any, he is registered to.

[1] We sometimes do jobs that are paid by the hour and are not quoted
for. The builder wants only a select few of our electricians to do those
jobs.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/08/2019 19:31, ARW wrote:

[...]

But visits for first fix and second fix should have been part of the
original quotation surely?

I cannot say if £250 is too much. However I do agree that a basic light
and light switch should have been included in the original quote and
changing that to 3 spotlights for £250 is a lot of money unless there
are things we are not aware of.

I think I have listed all that is relevant. Having challenged the
charges I have been told "those are our standard charges".

Do the lights in the bathroom have RCD protection?

The whole property was rewired last year (separate contract) to replace
old rubber cable, and the electrician who did that job was made aware
that a new bathroom was planned for that area of the house. So in answer
to the question yes they do.

Any idea who the electrician was? If you know then you can find out
which scheme, if any, he is registered to.

I know that the main contractor (who employed the electrician) is a
member of the FMB.

[1] We sometimes do jobs that are paid by the hour and are not quoted
for. The builder wants only a select few of our electricians to do those
jobs.

--
Chris B (News)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/08/2019 19:31, ARW wrote:

[...]

I think I have listed all that is relevant.Â* Having challenged the
charges I have been told "those are our standard charges".

Do the lights in the bathroom have RCD protection?

The whole property was rewired last year (separate contract) to replace
old rubber cable, and the electrician who did that job was made aware
that a new bathroom was planned for that area of the house. So in answer
to the question yes they do.

Any idea who the electrician was? If you know then you can find out
which scheme, if any, he is registered to.

I know that the main contractor (who employed the electrician) is a
member of the FMB.

The FMB is just a trade organisation that people pay to join. It serves
no use other than taking sides with the builder, a bit like
check-a-trade