Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cutting gears?

What's the favoured approach to getting hold of gears,
to cut them yourself, or to buy from, say, HPC gears?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/08/2019 21:29, Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer wrote:
What's the favoured approach to getting hold of gears,
to cut them yourself, or to buy from, say, HPC gears?

i buy from wherever

depends on what size

or condoning; the full, exact, specific meaning of collectivism, of its
logical implications, of the principles upon which it is based, and of
the ultimate consequences to which these principles will lead. They must
face it, then decide whether this is what they want or not.

Ayn Rand.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 5 August 2019 21:29:28 UTC+1, Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer wrote:
What's the favoured approach to getting hold of gears,
to cut them yourself, or to buy from, say, HPC gears?

You are not likely to have the equipment needed to do this .
https://www.shutterstock.com/search/hobbing+cutter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/08/2019 08:33, harry wrote:
On Monday, 5 August 2019 21:29:28 UTC+1, Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer wrote:
What's the favoured approach to getting hold of gears,
to cut them yourself, or to buy from, say, HPC gears?

You are not likely to have the equipment needed to do this .
https://www.shutterstock.com/search/hobbing+cutter

Actually the reason for my query is that last year
I bought a Jacobs gear hobber for a reason that has now
gone and I was wondering if there might be a market
for its sale.

I have a 55 year old dream from the days of my
impoverished teenage years that I would make my
own communications receiver to compete with the
likes of the best at that time, and I intended to
cut gears for the tuning dial but recently have
obtained the rolls royce of dials, the
Eddystone 898 so no longer need the hobber.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 6 August 2019 09:40:53 UTC+1, Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer wrote:
On 06/08/2019 08:33, harry wrote:
On Monday, 5 August 2019 21:29:28 UTC+1, Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer wrote:

What's the favoured approach to getting hold of gears,
to cut them yourself, or to buy from, say, HPC gears?

You are not likely to have the equipment needed to do this .
https://www.shutterstock.com/search/hobbing+cutter

Actually the reason for my query is that last year
I bought a Jacobs gear hobber for a reason that has now
gone and I was wondering if there might be a market
for its sale.

I have a 55 year old dream from the days of my
impoverished teenage years that I would make my
own communications receiver to compete with the
likes of the best at that time, and I intended to
cut gears for the tuning dial but recently have
obtained the rolls royce of dials, the
Eddystone 898 so no longer need the hobber.

Of course there's a market. Silly question. As is the choice of buy or cut, anyone that can buy the gears they need/want will do so.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/08/2019 21:29, Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer wrote:
What's the favoured approach to getting hold of gears,
to cut them yourself, or to buy from, say, HPC gears?

I used my 3d printer to produce the gears and pulleys for motorising my
astronomical telescope.

Your application may be somewhat more strenuous.

Another Dave

--
Change nospam to techie
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/08/2019 11:44, Another Dave wrote:
On 05/08/2019 21:29, Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer wrote:
What's the favoured approach to getting hold of gears,
to cut them yourself, or to buy from, say, HPC gears?

I used my 3d printer to produce the gears and pulleys for motorising my
astronomical telescope.

Your application may be somewhat more strenuous.

Another Dave

What module or DP for those gears, because AIUI there is
a limit to how small something can be extruded from
a 3D printer?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/08/2019 08:33, harry wrote:
On Monday, 5 August 2019 21:29:28 UTC+1, Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer wrote:
What's the favoured approach to getting hold of gears,
to cut them yourself, or to buy from, say, HPC gears?

You are not likely to have the equipment needed to do this .
https://www.shutterstock.com/search/hobbing+cutter

Hobbed gears are nice, but not the only way to cut teeth. Milling with a
single gear cutter is less equipment intensive.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The parameters for teeth are many and its a bit of a minefield. Most gears
these days seem to be made of a crappy form of Nylon and lose teeth. If they
are to be custom made, say for fixing a curtain closer etc, then it might
be good to get them made from something more robust.
Or are you refurbishing an Aerial Rotator?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer" wrote
in message ...
What's the favoured approach to getting hold of gears,
to cut them yourself, or to buy from, say, HPC gears?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ah OK.
So are you saying you want to fix it to flog it?
I remember seeing the drawings for some gears used in Radar turning units,
and it was a scary lot of measurements of pitch, and form, ie shape, and
remember the right diameter and pitch are needed before you start or you
end up with half a tooth at the end.

Brian

--
----- --

Downstairs Computer wrote:
What's the favoured approach to getting hold of gears,
to cut them yourself, or to buy from, say, HPC gears?

You are not likely to have the equipment needed to do this .
https://www.shutterstock.com/search/hobbing+cutter

Actually the reason for my query is that last year
I bought a Jacobs gear hobber for a reason that has now
gone and I was wondering if there might be a market
for its sale.

I have a 55 year old dream from the days of my
impoverished teenage years that I would make my
own communications receiver to compete with the
likes of the best at that time, and I intended to
cut gears for the tuning dial but recently have
obtained the rolls royce of dials, the
Eddystone 898 so no longer need the hobber.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/08/2019 12:06, Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer wrote:
On 06/08/2019 11:44, Another Dave wrote:
On 05/08/2019 21:29, Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer wrote:
What's the favoured approach to getting hold of gears,
to cut them yourself, or to buy from, say, HPC gears?

I used my 3d printer to produce the gears and pulleys for motorising
my astronomical telescope.

Your application may be somewhat more strenuous.

Another Dave

What module or DP for those gears, because AIUI there is
a limit to how small something can be extruded from
a 3D printer?

I'm just using the standard 0.4mm nozzle because it's OK for my
application. 0.2mm is the smallest practical size.

I'm using pulleys with GT2 toothed belts mainly, but a worm and gear
arrangement for the focusser.

The patterns for the printer are generated by Autoscad

https://www.openscad.org

using (for gears)

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1604369

and (for pulleys)

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:11256

Both are quite difficult to use (the gears thing is in German!) but very
rewarding.

Another Dave
--
Change nospam to techie