Jeff

Default Machining rectangular gears?

In the book Five Hundred and Seven Mechanical Movements, Henry Brown shows a
diagram of two rectangular gears (drawing #30) that when meshed together
provide varying speed for the driven gear.

Anyone have any thoughts or references to a process for producing these
gears?

I could imagine a single tooth cutter and a dividing head. I suspect that
one would have to offset the gear when cutting the corners.

From the drawing a least, it appears that each tooth is of consistent depth,
so treating it as circular wouldn't really get it.

Just curious.

-jeff

Carl Byrns

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 12:29:05 GMT, "Jeff"
wrote:

In the book Five Hundred and Seven Mechanical Movements, Henry Brown shows a
diagram of two rectangular gears (drawing #30) that when meshed together
provide varying speed for the driven gear.

Anyone have any thoughts or references to a process for producing these
gears?

I could imagine a single tooth cutter and a dividing head. I suspect that
one would have to offset the gear when cutting the corners.

From the drawing a least, it appears that each tooth is of consistent depth,
so treating it as circular wouldn't really get it.

Just curious.

-jeff

Sounds like a job for a shaper.

-Carl
Jeff

Of course as soon as I ask the question I stumble across this

http://www.stirlingsouth.com/richard...evelopment.htm

which covers the design and fabrication of elliptical gears. Similar issues
I suspect.

-jeff

"Jeff" wrote in message
m...
In the book Five Hundred and Seven Mechanical Movements, Henry Brown shows

diagram of two rectangular gears (drawing #30) that when meshed together
provide varying speed for the driven gear.

Anyone have any thoughts or references to a process for producing these
gears?

I could imagine a single tooth cutter and a dividing head. I suspect that
one would have to offset the gear when cutting the corners.

From the drawing a least, it appears that each tooth is of consistent

depth,