Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Enamel bath cleaning

Have a new steel/enamel bath that, due to lack of space, has been stored
outdoors awaiting installation, rainwater has pooled in it, with
decomposed leaves etc, so not ideal. I pressure washed the green gunge
off it today but a tidemark stubbornly remained in the bottom, even the
p/w turbo nozzle wouldn't touch it.

Tried a product called 'Cramer Email Star' applied with a damp
microfibre cloth, doesn't need much more than gentle rubbing and then
rinsing off, spotless ... recommended!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Tried a product called 'Cramer Email Star'

odd name

I thought so

https://cdn.aws.toolstation.com/images/141020-UK/800/30886.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/07/2019 18:08, Andy Burns wrote:
Have a new steel/enamel bath that, due to lack of space, has been stored
outdoors awaiting installation, rainwater has pooled in it, with
decomposed leaves etc, so not ideal.Â* I pressure washed the green gunge
off it today but a tidemark stubbornly remained in the bottom, even the
p/w turbo nozzle wouldn't touch it.

Tried a product called 'Cramer Email Star' applied with a damp
microfibre cloth, doesn't need much more than gentle rubbing and then
rinsing off, spotless ... recommended!

angle grinding is cheaper

Is there a downside to using this polishing paste? Could it make the
surface too slippery to be safe when stepping in or out of the bath?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:

Is there a downside to using this polishing paste?

Can't see one, although it certainly does contain polishing ingredients,
it felt more like cleaning than polishing to use it, so their claim that
it is matched to enamel's hardness seems true, they do another version
for acrylic baths

Could it make the
surface too slippery to be safe when stepping in or out of the bath?

Not a problem with this bath, it has sand sprinkled within the enamel
for grip.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 29/07/2019 19:01, Andy Burns wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Tried a product called 'Cramer Email Star'

odd name

I thought so

https://cdn.aws.toolstation.com/images/141020-UK/800/30886.jpg

I think the German for enamel is Email.

Interesting that Star has crept into their language in place of Stern.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Tried a product called 'Cramer Email Star'

odd name

I thought so

https://cdn.aws.toolstation.com/images/141020-UK/800/30886.jpg

I think the German for enamel is Email.

Nope Emaille

Interesting that Star has crept into their language in place of Stern.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 29 July 2019 18:08:54 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
Have a new steel/enamel bath that, due to lack of space, has been stored
outdoors awaiting installation, rainwater has pooled in it, with
decomposed leaves etc, so not ideal. I pressure washed the green gunge
off it today but a tidemark stubbornly remained in the bottom, even the
p/w turbo nozzle wouldn't touch it.

Tried a product called 'Cramer Email Star' applied with a damp
microfibre cloth, doesn't need much more than gentle rubbing and then
rinsing off, spotless ... recommended!

I've found bleach useful in such circumstances.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

a tidemark stubbornly remained in the bottom

I've found bleach useful in such circumstances.

I avoided that because previously, I've found bleach made the enamel go
rough.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

I'd expect it to be called something like Gunge Gone.

It seems email (or emaille) is German for enamel and star is German for
gleam.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
On Monday, 29 July 2019 18:08:54 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
Have a new steel/enamel bath that, due to lack of space, has been stored
outdoors awaiting installation, rainwater has pooled in it, with
decomposed leaves etc, so not ideal. I pressure washed the green gunge
off it today but a tidemark stubbornly remained in the bottom, even the
p/w turbo nozzle wouldn't touch it.

Tried a product called 'Cramer Email Star' applied with a damp
microfibre cloth, doesn't need much more than gentle rubbing and then
rinsing off, spotless ... recommended!

I've found bleach useful in such circumstances.

Yeah, its pretty good for eating organic stuff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 30 Jul 2019 15:08:52 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I think the German for enamel is Email.

Nope Emaille

It's BOTH, senile asshole!

--
Keema Nam addressing nym-shifting senile Rodent:
"You are now exposed as a liar, as well as an ignorant troll."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 30 Jul 2019 19:44:38 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Bleach would go VERY well down your big gob, senile bull**** artist!

--
addressing nym-shifting senile Rodent:
"You on the other hand are a heavyweight bull****ter who demonstrates
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/07/2019 08:28, Andy Burns wrote:
harry wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

a tidemark stubbornly remained in the bottom

I've found bleach useful in such circumstances.

I avoided that because previously, I've found bleach made the enamel go
rough.

But you said it has sand embedded in the enamel. Doesn't get much
rougher than that, surely ?.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

Andrew wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

I've found bleach made the enamel go rough.

But you said it has sand embedded in the enamel. Doesn't get much
rougher than that, surely ?.

[bugger clicked too soon]

But that's in a specific pattern on just one part of the bath.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 30 July 2019 08:28:32 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
harry wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

a tidemark stubbornly remained in the bottom

I've found bleach useful in such circumstances.

I avoided that because previously, I've found bleach made the enamel go
rough.

Enamel is glass should be impervious to chemicals/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m Wrote in message:
On 29/07/2019 18:08, Andy Burns wrote:
Have a new steel/enamel bath that, due to lack of space, has been stored
outdoors awaiting installation, rainwater has pooled in it, with
decomposed leaves etc, so not ideal. I pressure washed the green gunge
off it today but a tidemark stubbornly remained in the bottom, even the
p/w turbo nozzle wouldn't touch it.

Tried a product called 'Cramer Email Star' applied with a damp
microfibre cloth, doesn't need much more than gentle rubbing and then
rinsing off, spotless ... recommended!

angle grinding is cheaper

Is there a downside to using this polishing paste? Could it make the
surface too slippery to be safe when stepping in or out of the bath?

Not on the sides where the tidemark was shurely?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

semi-gloss enamel in an oil-based or acrylic semi-gloss enamel Tube Audio Home Repair 2 October 15th 07 04:44 PM
Cleaning enamel bath Mogweed UK diy 12 September 18th 05 11:16 PM
clean enamel bath [email protected] UK diy 0 March 20th 05 02:59 PM
Removing scale from enamel bath Nodge UK diy 19 February 25th 05 09:41 PM
Enamel over latex, latex over enamel and refinishing wood window trim. Dave Woodworking 2 February 24th 05 04:48 PM